Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar

eBook reader achievements

Imagine if your Kindle (or whatever) had little 'chieves pop up as you page through books! They could be like TF2 achievements, so some of them would require repetition (read a particular book 20 times through) and others would be unique activities (skip to the last page of a mystery novel; read this book all the way through without turning off your e-reading-device).

The best part would be the person who buys an author's collected works and thumbs through them at 5 pages a second, to get the "Read this author's collected works" 'chieve.

I don't have an eBook reader.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I don't have an eBook reader.
    You should, you obviously have too much idle time :P

I have a Kobo e-reader, and it does in fact have achievements. It's silly.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splynter View Post
    WHAT. Do you win hats to put on the eBooks?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Considering today's school kids are being trained to require constant adulation for the most menial of tasks (ie, showing up for school) and being awarded certificates just for getting through the day, I imagine your eBook achievements idea is about to take off big time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    And a thousand screams of culture was silenced.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Considering today's school kids are being trained to require constant adulation for the most menial of tasks (ie, showing up for school) and being awarded certificates just for getting through the day, I imagine your eBook achievements idea is about to take off big time.
    I work in schools and see that happening. The 'behaviourally challenged' kids get sweets for not being complete shits for the day, the kids who work, listen, don't hit others etc get f-all.

I only have free books on my Kindle, do I get a 'cheap-ass' achievement?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar

*shudder*

I find the progress bars on my Kindle create a degree of pressure I was unused to with traditional reading. It's all a bit distracting.

I love my Kindle. I love that it has given indie authors like me a viable platform to work with. There is an option, when reading a book, to have a little count down timer for estimated reading time left in the book. If you want a challenge, I suppose you could try to beat that timer. Then congratulate yourself on being such a very good reader and go onto the internet to brag about it. :P
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/

Can you turn them off? I've been considering getting a Kobo, but I think I'd find achievements completely off-putting.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mana_Garmr View Post
    Can you turn them off? I've been considering getting a Kobo, but I think I'd find achievements completely off-putting.
    Meh they only pop up for the first couple of books, then you're probably done with most of them. They are daft but aren't really comparable to the console standards of incessant annoyance.

Apparently there is some 'social' aspect to this but I assume it's just a legacy of that period where everything vaguely digital was pushing for 'SOCIAL'

Quote Originally Posted by Mana_Garmr View Post
    They're not distracting, they're just something you'll see in a sub-menu once or twice. They've had absolutely no effect on my reading habits.
    Last edited by Splynter; 08-04-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: grammar
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They're not distracting, they're just something you'll see in a sub-menu once or twice. They've had absolutely no affect on my reading habits.
    This. I have a Kobo glo and it was a bit of a WTF when I noticed the first one. Although most achievements wont show up for me, since I read a lot of project guttenberg books, wherein the last part of the book is disclaimer/info so most of my books are stuck at 99% read.

I think you can turn it off in the reading life section. havent tried it though. You can be pretty sure other manufacturers are going to do this also.

Oh, and if you have account setup problems(yeees.. it wants to create a account via internet before you can read). then you could mount it in a linux distro, find the .sqllite file, and add a new entry with bogus data. it accepts it on reboot, I think it was about 6 arguments.

Obscure Node
    Achievement unlocked: Uncanny Steadiness
    You have completed Proust's In Search of Lost Time in one sitting.

There is potential in this. Of course you would have to integrate Facebook, Twitter e.a. for maximum annoyance of friends & relatives ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by zephalopod View Post
    Achievement unlocked: Uncanny Steadiness
    You have completed Proust's In Search of Lost Time in one sitting.

There is potential in this. Of course you would have to integrate Facebook, Twitter e.a. for maximum annoyance of friends & relatives ;)
    I think there already is...

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    I think there already is...
    Ah, well. The decline of human civilization, finally realized.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by zephalopod View Post
    Ah, well. The decline of human civilization, finally realized.
    Ooh you optimist!

Knowing most game achieviements, book achievements would probably go something like this:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Reached page 2
    ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Reached page 3
    ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Reached page 4
    ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Reached page 5
    ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Reached page 6
    ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Reached page 7
    ...yea
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I think achievements will be revolutionary once they find a way to integrate them into daily life. I'm a runner and I often find myself wishing that I could get an achievement or something to lord over my friends like an asshole for every week that I go without missing a day. Yeah, that's totally shallow, but I actually think people would exercise more if they got achievements for it on facebook or something.