Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

More from RPS / Around the web

Is this intended to be relevant to the article i'm reading? Because right now it seems incredibly random. The RPS links all seem to be ancient articles that are totally unconnected. (although i guess that could be a way to discover some hidden gems) and the Around the Web ones seem even more unconnected.

I only ask because I've seen them on other sites and they seem to be more relevant.

But then again, other sites don't have the 'creative' tagging system that RPS uses...

I assume it some sort of thing that brings in revenue, I personally just ignore it.

Obscure Node
    Unfortunately on the ipad am unsure how to Adblock the sexualized pictures women rps likes to show me from 'around the web'. It is almost laughable all this lets welcome women into gaming articles followed by rps dropping a hyper sexed ad bar on their front page.

Hmm, that seems to be user specific, it shows me more wholesome and serious articles from around the web on investments and films and a rather odd loaf of bread. What do you normally google for?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I browse rps on a mobile with images turned off, hurrah.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I been meaning to comment on this. Its my biggest gripe with pcgamer.com. More so it has no relevance to the article and half the images tend to show some model or celeb half naked. The RPS ones do not seem as bad yet, but I have already seen my share of those images.

Do I really need to be spammed links about Demi Moore and Victoria Secret models?

Network Hub
    Can't abide Outbrain The API is on dozens of sites and its frankly really annoying. I try not to use ad blockers, but outbrain really has me considering it.

Obscure Node
    User somini made a script to remove this specifically from RPS, check here (posted in the RPS Feedback Thread for the link averse).

Activated Node
    Please remove this. If only because seeing links to "20 Hottest WAGs of Tennis Players" beneath articles on a site that has taken a rather firm stance against misogyny, sexism, etc, is kind of weird. Not that the other articles linked are anything I'd like to read, that one just stood out.

To be clear, though - my problem is not with the kind of links shown, but with the links being there at all. They take up a lot of space and are not what I'm looking for when reading an article. I can only speak for myself, but I have absolutely no interest in these links and I'd really like to see them go, so I can just skip from article to comments without having to scroll down a full page's height again.
    Last edited by Stijn; 06-04-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Comments off, thank god
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Obscure Node
    Yea I get nothing but boobs and bikinis and sex ads on there. Guess RPS is ok with it as long as there is money in it.

Came here to make a thread on this - I am all for supporting RPS, but a lot of the links seem pretty slimy and not at all in keeping with RPS's tone and politics.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On the plus side it seems to think that the articles about Bloodlines are worth promoting on every article.

I guess..

The Outbrain links can be filtered, but it'll take some time to get rid of the sites that post crap. If you see something objectionable please send the link to me in an email: jim@rockpapershotgun.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They're mostly of new articles though aren't they? Can you filter at site level or just individual ads? Because if it's the latter, sites are going to keep publishing "Top hottest women in actuarial profession" articles and they'll keep cropping up....

I've yet to see any sites show up in the links that have an aversion to said "actuarial" articles, making the whole filtering process possibly unworkable whether site level or by individual ads. I suppose you could work off a whole host of keywords, but then are you simply stealthily directing readers to sites that support questionable portrayals of for example women via 'cleansed' links.

I don't know, I don't have a solution, and do recognise the financial requirements to have ads. I guess I'll mostly ignore them, or email if anything particularly objectional shows up that I notice.
    Last edited by Thermal Ions; 08-04-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Network Hub
    Yea holy crap I hate these ads so much. I basically can't go to PCGamer.com anymore because of them. I shouldn't have to explain to people that I'm reading a gaming site for the articles, not the pictures of swimsuit models. I have to actively avoid scrolling down too far at the end of articles and that makes me feel bad.

Any chance of you guys moving to a more giantbomb.com style of premium content instead of scuzzy ads? I would pay money to get videos of you all playing Artemis Bridge Simulator or something. I'd pay money for you to finish your game diaries. First three are free to the site and the rest are for subscribers or something. I'd love to see you play a big team game of StarCraft or Supreme Commander. A DF Succession game! How do we make this happen?

Network Hub
    You could even talk about sexism while you're playing!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Like after seeing Kerrigan's Butt that ends with Jennifer Lawrence in all blue body paint, A Living Barbie claims no plastic surgery, Lady Gaga's eating disorder(pic of bra/panty person), Checkout out SI swim suit photos of some hurdler. I sent in 8 links or so, hopefully they are filtered out sooner than later, or just dropped altogether.

I wish the ads would actually, be something new. But apparently these are the only things around the Web the past 3 days.