Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yeah these ads are cheapening my RPS experience slightly. I'm all for RPS getting what revenue they can but *bleh* some of these links are just tacky.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Agree on the "more from the web" links. I actually kind of like the "More from RPS" links though...I know they're mostly unrelated to the current article, but it's fun to see random stuff from years ago, and I think it's cool that new readers have another window into some of the highlights from auld lang syne. (I can see it causing a lot of confusion when people go back and reply to one-year-old comments threads without realizing it, though, and then wonder why no one is talking to them...but that already happens with one-day-old comments threads anyway ;).
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

The only downside to the more from RPS ones is that it keeps making me realise I want more Bloodlines :(

Obscure Node
    Do what the grauniad does, use text links for the "from the web" section. That'll at least spare us from the bikini butt shots and other link bait.

Whoops, started a new thread about this before I saw this one. Another boo from me. As I said in the other thread it feels like the web equivalent of bundling the babylon toolbar with your free software.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I find myself idly curious about how effective the More from the Web links are, since they couldn't be less relevant if they were advertising the Sanskrit edition of Hooked on Phonics. =P At least from my perspective...I hear that some people like to read about things that aren't Computer Games, but that's got to be just a wacky rumor.

The Outbrain links can be filtered, but it'll take some time to get rid of the sites that post crap. If you see something objectionable please send the link to me in an email: jim@rockpapershotgun.com
    Somehow I missed this post until now. That's good! I will do that if I see any (and am able to remember this plan for more than 5 minutes).
    Last edited by Berzee; 17-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Ok, reached my limit for those ads. I'm a subscriber, and was completely fine with leaving ads on the site to support furthermore. I didn't particularly like the Eurogamer change, with the surrounding ads, but ok, it was game related, and "usually" tasteful.

But I'm tired of having things like "Lil Wayne Puts Mountain Dew in Crisis Mode" or other "ARE YOU A JUDGMENTAL CHRISTIAN?" and "All bright on the tights".

So I installed AdBlock for my browser. Unticked all the filter lists (I don't particularly want to cut ad revenue from the sites I read), and set only one custom filter:

www.rockpapershotgun.com##DIV[id="outbrain_widget_1"][class="OUTBRAIN"]

This removes the "More from the web" part, leaves the "more from RPS" there, and it feels better to me.