Lesser Hivemind Node

Text Editor advice

I'm looking for a text editor that supports (individually) coloured characters/backgrounds, and different fonts, but doesn't start enforcing things such as page sizes, paragraphs and whatnot - basically what I want is a version of Notepad that supports colour. Before someone gets confused, I'm not talking about syntax highlighting - as far as I can see, things like Notepad Plus and Crimson Editor only support that, and won't let me colour text myself.
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Open office but use "web view"?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Sublime Text 2, period.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Sublime Text 2, period.
    was going to second this, but I'm not sure what the OP wants.

OP: Do you basically want the equivalent of the reply box in this forum, where you can change the colour, size and font weight of text without the extra padding/indentation that Word auto-applies?
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

The closest you're gonna get is an .rtf editor -Windows comes with Wordpad, there are other packages available but this is a somewhat niche area and I couldn't recommend any off hand.

Do a bit googlin' and don't get mixed up with Rich Text Areas - which are to do with websites.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Seconding the 'what exactly do you want to do" thing

Sublime Text is a syntax colorer (and, frankly, you don't really need to spend money to get what it does - there are loads of free editors which do the same job) - I suspect the OP wants to color text ala HTML (this box) which means he needs a (surprise surprise) HTML editor of some sort.

I'd recommend Aptana Studio (http://www.aptana.com/) and gedit for Windows (http://projects.gnome.org/gedit/). I use them both religiously. What you're looking for is something that can save and view files with some sort of XHTML formatting. I don't know of anything that can do that (other than Word or OpenOffice) without document formatting. Thus, we arrive back at my original conclusion: Aptana and gedit. Hope that works for you.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Seconding the 'what exactly do you want to do" thing

Sublime Text is a syntax colorer (and, frankly, you don't really need to spend money to get what it does - there are loads of free editors which do the same job) - I suspect the OP wants to color text ala HTML (this box) which means he needs a (surprise surprise) HTML editor of some sort.
    Oh bloody hell, you're right - off to play with HTML I go!

To answer a couple of suggestions:
    Open Office/Libre Office - I found this doing some very strange things with monospaced fonts (i.e. not monospacing them, a fairly annoying "feature"), and not listing all the fonts I have installed.

Wordpad - Yet again, more faffing about with fonts not working (in this case, I select the font but the font isn't used/characters display wrongly. Sigh.)
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    Oh bloody hell, you're right - off to play with HTML I go!

To answer a couple of suggestions:
    Open Office/Libre Office - I found this doing some very strange things with monospaced fonts (i.e. not monospacing them, a fairly annoying "feature"), and not listing all the fonts I have installed.

Wordpad - Yet again, more faffing about with fonts not working (in this case, I select the font but the font isn't used/characters display wrongly. Sigh.)
    Sometimes you need to restart the program in order for it to scan for new fonts. I know GIMP has a button to refresh the font window so you can update on the fly, but I doubt OpenOffice has that feature. Also make sure they're .ttf (TrueType Fonts). If you need any more fonts, (because some aren't working or some other crap) check out http://dafont.com/.

Here if you need any more questions about HTML or OpenOffice answered.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Doesn't SublimeText do HTML highlighting/coloring? I thought it did... (disclaimer: And SublimeText is...sublime)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fohria View Post
    Doesn't SublimeText do HTML highlighting/coloring? I thought it did... (disclaimer: And SublimeText is...sublime)
    well that's not what he wants. He actually wants regular text ... with colorz. Not the same thing as syntax highlighting.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    well that's not what he wants. He actually wants regular text ... with colorz. Not the same thing as syntax highlighting.
    Oh I see. Then maybe AbiWord might be what you're looking for Danny252? More light weight than LibreOffice but still free software (GNU license)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Yeah, he wants to see the text coloured as a web page, not the code making it syntax-coloured :)

Try UltraEdit, used that for years before moving over to Visual Studio.

Network Hub
    With a request like this, it would usually help to have a bit more background.

If this happens to be for doing something like Dwarf Fortress -style game maps, using a HTML editor would be torture and ASCII/ANSI art editors are the sort of tool you actually want.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...I_and_ANSI_art

Obscure Node
    I suggest to try Codelobster PHP Edition
    It is free editor that has very good support for many languages