Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Say what you want, at least she stopped the trains running on time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    The chants of "Maggie Maggie Maggie! Dead! Dead! Dead!" were worth being there for.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Would have*
    Fuck off pedant

Half the people here can barely spell correctly, yet I don't see you jumping on them every other post.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 08-04-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    You'll thank me the next time you would have slipped up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    You'll thank me the next time you would have slipped up.
    How can I thank you? I don't even know who you are. That you've managed to clock up 2000+ posts and yet remain an anonymous cipher on my personal radar is pretty astounding in truth (kudos I guess...). I presume the special attention is a resultant of some personal axe to grind (Kad done me bad..I'll get you back one day!), but in all honesty I'm drawing a complete blank.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 09-04-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

And thank God for that.

Well at least Have I Got News For You won't be short of material for a while.

The BBC has just informed me that before his release from prison, Thatcher regarded Nelson Mandela as a terrorist, then suddenly back-pedalled into a supportive stance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    The BBC has just informed me that before his release from prison, Thatcher regarded Nelson Mandela as a terrorist, then suddenly back-pedalled into a supportive stance.
    Well, yeah - the United States only took him off its Terror Watch List in 2006. But that he was seen as such is not completely crazy either; the ANC was definitely not a book club, and you have to consider politicians of certain affiliation back then were rather hyper-sensitive about those evil, world-revolution planning 'communists'.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 09-04-2013 at 12:45 AM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Well, yeah - the United States only took him off its Terror Watch List in 2006. But that he was seen as such is not completely crazy either; the ANC was definitely not a book club, and you have to consider politicians of certain affiliation back then were rather hyper-sensitive about those evil, world-revolution planning 'communists'.
    Another noted activist the FBI considered a terrorist: Martin Luther King, Jr
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    She hated femists. Not declaring my hate for her because I'm too young too truly hate as the people who grew up in her time did, but some people have only found out about her and hate her because she's a politician and not for what actually happened. It's sort of sad all round.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Can someone explain to me why people hate her? Miners in eighties had the right but you guys? I skimmed through wiki article but could not find a reason. I honestly know very little about her.
    If a government breaks your economy, it's rough. But when a government systematically destroys a culture, there's no way back once the continuity is broken.

I'm about as middle class as they come, and was only born in the Miners Strike, so personally I felt nothing around the era.

But her ideological zealotry flattened my heritage and damaged both it and those who still lived in that tradition, which was most of the region's population.

Not only that, but it crushed the very stability and values that it promoted that allowed me to be one of the only three on my side of the family to escape The Pits in two hundred years. Sunderland, where I was born, and the surrounding locale of County Durham, was just one of several regions out with the gilded South in the UK which was economically, socially and culturaly ravaged in the name of her crusade. That's plenty cause for anger in my books whether I was there or not.

The damage she did there is still not done, and the current bunch of successors are doing a pretty fine tribute act for those who missed out first time and further jabbing at the wounds she made.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Imagine, for a moment, that someone came to power in the UK and wanted to "spread the wealth" a little more fairly - get it in the hands of people who will create jobs and spend it here instead of stashing it abroad and so on.

To do this, they realise they must dismantle the currency to undermine the financial sector and corporations - put in place draconian tax collection regimes and suggests anyone who didn't want to play along could leave the country entirely.

Can you imagine that happening? I'm sure bankers, shareholders, investors, media owners etc. can't and neither could the hardworking people of the coal/steel and other industries who couldn't believe many quite viable businesses seemingly essential to us (shipbuilding, in particular, as we're a fucking island!!) would be wiped-out - but that's just what happened anyway!

To break the control that the unions exerted (which had been damaging the country for a long time - much as the greed of banks, corporations and other wealth tax-dodgers does now) entire industries were shutdown. Private investors weren't even allowed to get involved in most cases, just in case they allowed enough 'unionisation' to persist.

The ongoing cost of that is staggering in losses the UK in tax terms, investment in areas gutted of work and benefits paid-out and in a total loss of faith in the Police (who basically billy-clubbed anyone she told them to) and yet people say she "saved the country" and I'm not standing for it.

The hagiography which will be written in the next few weeks cannot be permitted to grow roots anymore than when Blair/Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld et al die, their legacy cannot be anything other than 'warmonger, liar, greedy bastard, idiot'.

Thatchers US crony was, of course, Ronnie Reagan - he suffered the same journey into lalaland that she did but he was such a massive bloody idiot that all people really remembered him for was acting with a monkey!! At least they didn't claim he 'saved the country' eh?
    Last edited by trjp; 09-04-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    ...but some people have only found out about her and hate her because she's a politician and not for what actually happened. It's sort of sad all round.
    Of course, what do you expect? There are people today born well after her reign who are going to jump on her because everything right of the far left is incredibly evil and will kill us all blah blah blah. They have no real understanding of the issues nor a desire to learn, all they care about is that they can rally against an icon that goes against what they want to believe is true. There's nothing quite like self-righteous campaigning, even if you're not really sure what it is you're actually against.

That said, and even though I'm Australian and she never had anything to do with me, I'm not sorry to see her go. I won't be getting shitfaced over it, but she was definitely not a good politician. I'm fairly centrist with a slightly right lean (so far away from the left-wing kiddies today preaching at us from Twitter) but even I find her abhorrent.

Of course coal and mining is evil (according to the same left kiddies) so it does sort of amuse me when they decry the destruction of mining and then go and call for it because it's killing the planet.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

It seems kind of in bad taste to celebrate the death of anyone (short of Hitler or Ted Bundy) but I've been pretty nauseated with most of the coverage I've heard over here (in Canada). After calling her 'divisive' or somesuch most of the reports only summarize positive stuff she did. I'd really celebrate if the policies she championed died with her but unfortunately they seem alive and well and our current PM is a real Thatcher protege.
    Last edited by iridescence; 09-04-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTangent View Post
    I think it's interesting she's "hated" by so many people though, many of whom, like me, probably have no real direct experience of her government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I honestly know very little about her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Not declaring my hate for her because I'm too young too truly hate as the people who grew up in her time did, but some people have only found out about her and hate her because she's a politician and not for what actually happened.
    Does nobody here study history?

I wonder sometimes if you honestly believe that the world prior to your existence has no bearing on your present situation.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    ...because you say so? I think you're mistaking crony capitalism with liberalism.
    The modern GOP in the USA has been following the cult of Reagan for 30 years. We've given trickle-down quite enough time. It's turned us into a modern gilded age, destroyed our working class, gutted our middle class, bankrupted our government and set us up for an unchecked financial system that has been working overtime to destroy itself - just in time to see the GOP itself implode.

Supply-side is crony capitalism. As Chomsky would say, Capitalism is crony capitalism.

But as I said before, it's not that capitalism doesn't work. Capitalism works fine, if only we didn't have to feed all these people.
    Last edited by Nalano; 09-04-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    How can I thank you? I don't even know who you are. That you've managed to clock up 2000+ posts and yet remain an anonymous cipher on my personal radar is pretty astounding in truth (kudos I guess...). I presume the special attention is a resultant of some personal axe to grind (Kad done me bad..I'll get you back one day!), but in all honesty I'm drawing a complete blank.
    Oh, that was a sneaky edit. Correcting facile mistakes is 90% of what I do here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Does nobody here study history?

I wonder sometimes if you honestly believe that the world prior to your existence has no bearing on your present situation.
    Can't speak for how it works in other countries, but over here you barely study any post-WWII history at all. I remember brief mentions of the cold war and one or two lessons on the Vietnam war and the Cuban missile crisis. History education here is an absolute disgrace and there doesn't seem to be much interest in using history to form an understanding of the world we actually live in.

I was born in 81, so just about remember Thatcher being the British PM. The vast majority of recent history I've learned has come from seeking it out myself and the news media largely seem to consider anything that happened more than 10 years ago to be irrelevant, so I'm not surprised that many don't know much about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Can't speak for how it works in other countries, but over here you barely study any post-WWII history at all. I remember brief mentions of the cold war and one or two lessons on the Vietnam war and the Cuban missile crisis. History education here is an absolute disgrace and there doesn't seem to be much interest in using history to form an understanding of the world we actually live in.

I was born in 81, so just about remember Thatcher being the British PM. The vast majority of recent history I've learned has come from seeking it out myself and the news media largely seem to consider anything that happened more than 10 years ago to be irrelevant, so I'm not surprised that many don't know much about her.
    There are these things called books​.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Well that's the point I was ambling towards. You're not given any reasons or tools to properly set modern life in a context of history by schools or the media. It's an active choice you have to make on your own initiative, which is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Well that's the point I was ambling towards. You're not given any reasons or tools to properly set modern life in a context of history by schools or the media. It's an active choice you have to make on your own initiative, which is a disaster.
    The primary motive of education is to teach a child how to learn on their own, as nobody can learn everything they need to know about the world in their first 18-21 years in it. In that stead, you are given those tools, or at least are supposed to. Would that more people would use them.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl