Help Me , I'm new to Pc Gaming

Well I've barely got into gaming last month since I've found out my laptop can run TF2 and Counter-Strike so my friend offered me his current pc for 700 and here's the system specs that he gave me

amd quad core at 3.2ghz (stockfan) , 4 gb ram at 1066 speed, gigabyte xfire ready motherboard x16 & x4, 250 GB HDD, win 7 64-bit ultimate, and 750wat PSU CORSAIR

I'm barely know anything about pc's so can anyone tell me if this is a good deal for 700 ? I don't wanna get ripped off or anything :T if you guys need more info please tell me i'll be glad to get it for you guys .

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    That's a piddly little HDD. You're better off building or buying your own for 700 of your magical currency units, because it'll come with a bigger HDD (Very important for gaming these days) and you'll know what graphics card you have.

Are these Dollars, Euro or Pound? Seems very expensive with any of these currencies though.
    Besides, you still need a monitor.
    Ask him about the graphics card.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, really we need to know the graphics card, the actual processor model (clock speed means nothing these days and hasn't for years) and if it comes with anything else (keyboard, monitor etc) as well as the currency.

It sounds rather overpriced though.

Probably overpriced. I just specced out a brand new Intel system (capable of beating the pants off of pretty much any AMD system) for about 750$ (without the monitor) the other week.

It's USD Dollars by the way NOVA
    and all he told me the graphics card was a 9800 gt

Quote Originally Posted by xToxikDeath View Post
    It's USD Dollars by the way NOVA
    and all he told me the graphics card was a 9800 gt
    Definitely not worth buying, then. The 9800GT is a rebranded 8800GT, and whilst it's fine for playing older games or less demanding ones, if you want to play online at decent framerates and decent quality, you're going to need something to back it up with. That model card has been around probably half a decade now, so it's really old tech. You'll be replacing that card within a year or so if you bought that PC, so it's just not worth the money when you can get a card like the GTS 450.

Your friend wants 700 Dollars for that PC without a monitor? Wow.
    A rough estimate would be something around 400-450 Euro for these components, new.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Actually comes out a little more than expected:

However, said build would be a terrible buy. Horribly overspecced on mobo, PSU and OS compared to everything else. Also, a 9800GT would cost a lot less than the 6770 I put in as an "equivalent" if you could still buy them.

Don't buy a second hand PC. Get a new one with a warranty for the same money, if you don't know anyone who can't build it for you.

The question is, how much are you willing to put on for a computer? Many here can assemble you a list of parts that are good for money/value.

No no, very no no no dont ever buy this computer for that price. You can get those things in a good combination for about 350€, and graphic cards only cost about 180€ more for an adequate one. So no, do not get these from a friend.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by KauhuK View Post
    The question is, how much are you willing to put on for a computer? Many here can assemble you a list of parts that are good for money/value.
    Very much this. Post a budget, location, and what you want the computer to do and it'll be easier to assemble a list of parts. Location is important since e.g. Microcenter has excellent deals on CPU+Mobo combos, but you have to have one around.

I'd also recommend a new "friend" since it seems he's trying to fleece you.

Also, in case you're living in german speaking countries, you should always consult geizhals.at
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    If you're new to buying/building a PC check http://www.hardware-revolution.com/

They keep up-to-date lists of components worth the money (you may notice that your card is mentioned in the lowest section of the suggested video cards - for 65$) , suggested builds and guides on how to built your own PC.

And if you compare their 700$ build with what your friend is trying to sell you, you'll see that it is far from a good deal.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 15-08-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    That's a piddly little HDD. You're better off building or buying your own for 700 of your magical currency units, because it'll come with a bigger HDD (Very important for gaming these days)
    Now that's gonna be funny. Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Now that's gonna be funny. Do tell.
    Tell you what? That 250GB isn't enough in an age of 10GB+ installs? I may have overstated the important of HDD size, but it is important. If you want to have your OS, your documents and your games installed, and have room to breathe, a bigger HDD is necessary.

Banned
    Yep, it was pretty funny. Thanks.

"room to breathe"... hehehe