Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I loved SotC. I started Ico, but have yet to finish it. The one thing that bugs me about that game is it seems some areas have enemies you need to kill all of before you can progress, and some areas have endlessly spawning enemies that you are meant to just fight through until you reach the exit. There is no indication of which is which. So sometimes after a few minutes of button mashing combat, I will realize that they aren't stopping, and that I'm meant to be running to the door. It's sort of like that Wesker fight in RE5 where you are just meant to run and hide until an invisible and obscenely long timer runs out. I wasted nearly every bullet I had before finding out that all I had to do was continuously run in a big loop for 10 or so minutes.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    Ok, think I'm ready to order now:

Resonance of Fate
    inFamous 1/2
    BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
    LBP2
    Bayonetta
    Vanquish
    MGS4
    Rune Factory Oceans
    Dragons Dogma
    Demons Souls
    Valkyria Chronicles

MGS HD Collection/ZoE HD Collection/ICO Collection are all on 'watch', until they drop in price.
    As is Journey, 3D Dot Heroes and Katamari. I'm trying to keep this initial batch under 300.
    I'll grab PS+ as well.

Monitor is ready, power is fine, internet is wifi, it is used but "comes with all original accessories" which I assume includes a controller.
    I think I'm all sorted?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    You should check out the God of War HD versions which are probably cheap now as well. They come in packs, the first 2 games, and the 2 PSP games remastered.

There's a pack which includes the entire series except God of War: Ascension but it was US only last time I looked.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnox View Post
    Ok, think I'm ready to order now:

Resonance of Fate
    inFamous 1/2
    BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
    LBP2
    Bayonetta
    Vanquish
    MGS4
    Rune Factory Oceans
    Dragons Dogma
    Demons Souls
    Valkyria Chronicles

MGS HD Collection/ZoE HD Collection/ICO Collection are all on 'watch', until they drop in price.
    As is Journey, 3D Dot Heroes and Katamari. I'm trying to keep this initial batch under 300.
    I'll grab PS+ as well.

Monitor is ready, power is fine, internet is wifi, it is used but "comes with all original accessories" which I assume includes a controller.
    I think I'm all sorted?
    Hold up - LBP2 and Infamous 2 are on PS+ in the UK. Indefinitely too for those games I think. So no need to buy them separate unless you don't expect to play them before your PS+ sub runs out. There's a chance Demons Souls might be on there soon too, as it's on in the US this month.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Hold up - LBP2 and Infamous 2 are on PS+ in the UK. Indefinitely too for those games I think. So no need to buy them separate unless you don't expect to play them before your PS+ sub runs out. There's a chance Demons Souls might be on there soon too, as it's on in the US this month.
    Well, thank you for that information!
    It says when Okami comes off 'free' (21 days), but not the rest, it seems. Saved me 20, and I'll take Demon's Souls off as well (another 20), just incase. I'd probably not play for a while as I'm Dark Souls-d out.

So, if I download the PS+ games for free, can I not play them if the sub runs out and they are still on the hard drive? (Although I'm likely to get a year anyway...)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So, if I download the PS+ games for free, can I not play them if the sub runs out and they are still on the hard drive? (Although I'm likely to get a year anyway...)
    As far as I know, that's the case. But if you re-subscribe at any point in the future, you get it all back. You don't have to download them, just 'buy' them from 0.00 on the store and you can re-download whenever you have an active subscription.

Network Hub
    If you're looking to replace some of those games you'll be getting for free, have a gander at Heavenly Sword and Metal Gear Rising: Horrible Subtitle.

Out of curiosity, what makes Vanquish a good game? I turned it off after about 20-30 minutes in fear of Yet Another Manshooter.
    Last edited by lordcooper; 10-04-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Semi spoonerism

Network Hub
    Out of curiosity, what makes Vanquish a good game?
    The demo seemed interesting (Back when I played 360), I like bullet hell games, it was 3.

I used the 20 I saved to get Ico pack. How is Heavenly Sword? Heard it was reviewed fairly poorly. Is 5 though, so...
    God Hand is something I've looked at, 15 though. And Metal Gear Rising: Revengineering is >20. Definitely something I'll consider, but later, when I've got more income.
    I liked the "active stealth" idea of the original plan, but hear it's just a hackenslash now.

The order has been placed, 3-12 days. I'm not going to be at home from 9 days, so hopefully it comes sooner than later.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    How is Heavenly Sword? Heard it was reviewed fairly poorly. Is 5 though, so...
    Visually impressive with meh gameplay. Look at this. It's so weird and hilarious!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcooper View Post
    Out of curiosity, what makes Vanquish a good game? I turned it off after about 20-30 minutes in fear of Yet Another Manshooter.
    It's a ridiculously fast manshooter that encourages movement, risk-taking, and provides a surprisingly diverse amount of scenarios (one level has you on a moving platform picking off snipers, for example.) It does have quite a few QTEs, but they vary from enemy to enemy and generally have a level of interaction beyond "press X to dodge!" Also, in true Platinum form, the boss battles are ludicrously fun.

Its biggest shortcoming is that it is exceedingly short, but this is because Platinum intended for it to be replayed for score like a traditional shmup - a concept alien to the modern gamer.

Network Hub
    Looks like I'll have to give it another go then, thanks for the input :)

How is Heavenly Sword? Heard it was reviewed fairly poorly. Is 5 though, so...
    It has 79 on Metacritic, so the initial reviews can't have been that bad. Gameplay is somewhere between God of War and Dynasty Warriors and it's rather pretty for when it came out. I can barely remember the plot, so make of that what you will.

E: Oh, and check out Nier too. It had some terrible reviews (and I can't say I disagree with all the reasons why) but it has an incredibly well crafted narrative and the boss fights are suitably satisfying.
    Last edited by lordcooper; 11-04-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Dragons Dogma
    I've played and finished this one on the 360. It's... a great game marred by a lot of issues. On the plus side the combat is fun and the gameplay has the same kind of physicality to it that Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus does, fighting bossmonsters with your team of pawns is lots of fun, and exploring new areas is a thrill. On the bad side the inventory management is tedious and you'll need to do a lot of it, you'll also need to do a lot of walking back and forth to the city that is the game's main hub. If ever a game needed a fast travel system* it's this one because all those walks back and forth are tedious as hell. Also, the story is a complete mess. Hopefully some of the issues will have been resolved in the Dark Arisen DLC.

Play Demon's Souls first. Once you've finished/gotten bored of that one, move on to DD.

Also, you should totally check out Deadly Premonition, which should be getting a Director's Cut version on PS3 this year. It's a bit of a cult game. The so-bad-it's-great type. It's flimsily made in several parts, funny as hell, has great characters, and, at the end, is genuinely horrifying. My favourite horror game of the past few years, next to Amnesia.

*it does have one, later on. But it's expensive to use and unweildy.
    Last edited by Henke; 11-04-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    Play Demon's Souls first. Once you've finished/gotten bored of that one, move on to DD.
    Honestly, I think it's going to be hard to go back to DeS after playing the sequel. DeS is a lot more unforgiving, and I think that the biggest issue it has is the lack of the bonfire system. On the one hand, this encouraged From to put in a lot of organic shortcuts through the level, but there are some levels (I'm thinking particularly of the Tower of Latria — I didn't get very far) that necessitate a good 5-10 minute sprint just so you can die to the same boss. There's also no Estus system, so running out of healing grass means going back to the starting area and grinding skeletons for more. I'm not sure if it's related to this system, or if I've just played so much Dark Souls at this point that it's less scary to me, but DeS just feels cheaper and the deaths much less avoidable.

Adjunct to that last point, another area that I think DaS drastically improved was the feeling of progression. You're naturally driven towards the next area you should be, whereas (from what I understand) DeS is best played by returning to the hub world and transporting to the next area, e.g 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, and then 1-2, 2-2, 3-2 and so on. You can try to tackle 1-2 right after 1-1 — I certainly did, and the game won't tell you not to — but I found that to be a brutally punishing and terrifying way to play.

Furthermore, the "World Tendency" system is horrendously explained and I'm still not entirely clear how it works. I know that certain areas are only accessible at certain times, but as far as what causes this to shift? I have only the most basic idea (like "don't kill NPCs" which is a no-brainer after the first time anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Heavy Rain is pure shit. One of the worst stories ever and awful QTE-based gameplay, both with and without Move. Go play The Walking Dead again, that's the Heavy Rain model done right.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Heavy Rain is pure pathos on a QTE skeleton. For once, SirKicksalot and I agree.

Make sure you get Wipeout HD and the DLC, Fury.
    Oh :/

Wipeout HD was awesome. Think I missed the DLC though!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I like Heavy Rain. You do spend a lot of time watching cut-scenes and responding to on-screen cues, but the important thing is that failure is an option and the story does change based on your input. It's not "press X not to die" type QTEs. It's a unique game that tries to do things differently, but it gets a lot of criticism for not meeting whatever the acceptable level of interactivity is. I guess it's because the fight scenes don't have specific buttons assigned to "punch" and "kick", and the detective parts don't require you to pixel hunt or mindlessly combine items, but I honestly don't see how it's less interactive than many other games.

Network Hub
    I played Fahrenheit for a little bit, it was enjoyable but then I got sidetracked. I'd probably get on okay with Heavy Rain.

Is there anything like Monster Hunter for the PS3 (aside from Japan imports, of course. I can't read moonrunes)? I like long, hard boss battles against impossible odds, learning a pattern and not just hitting him in the glowing red bits. Also progression and RPG elements.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you like snowboarding, I rather enjoyed the latest SSX. The multiplayer component is done really well. There's even neat things like these little tags you can hide in parts of the levels, and the longer your tag goes without being picked up by another player, the more points you get.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I played Fahrenheit for a little bit, it was enjoyable but then I got sidetracked. I'd probably get on okay with Heavy Rain.

Is there anything like Monster Hunter for the PS3 (aside from Japan imports, of course. I can't read moonrunes)? I like long, hard boss battles against impossible odds, learning a pattern and not just hitting him in the glowing red bits. Also progression and RPG elements.
    Honestly, Demon Souls should be more than enough for now.
    steam: sketch

Have you considered buying a PSP/Vita, if you don't have one already? Aside from Monster Hunter, there's Gods Eater Burst (which has a sequel on the way), Lords of Arcana, Ragnorok Universe and Phantasy Star Portable, as well as Soul Sacrifice in the pipeline this month. For whatever reason, this specific niche is very well-represented on portables.
    Last edited by sabrage; 11-04-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcooper View Post
    Be sure to grab the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD remasterythingies if you haven't played them. They're unique.
    getting the ps2 versions is a better investment imo, they run at 1080p/60fps on PCSX2. Ditto for Zone of the Enders 2, in fact it runs better on the PC than the hd remake. Which I find hilarious.
    The hd collection of the metal gear games is more plausible since PCSX2 has some missing effects, plus you need pressure sensitive buttons on your gamepad to play 2 and 3 properly.

Sony Liverpool's games are a must have (wipeout hd+Fury, F1)
    EA's boxing sims are great too (Knockout Kings I believe they're called)
    Mortal Kombat, not the 16-bit version, is awesome
    Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is an amazing remake.
    Platinum games. All of them.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen