Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 382
  1. #221
    Network Hub Jambe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    310
    Yeah, I've run into that a few times, myself. My cynicism, it often flows freely.

  2. #222
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Let's also avoid from posting any more images related to it - loli/shota are illegal in the UK.
    That image is not illegal in the UK :-S

  3. #223
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    That image is not illegal in the UK :-S
    It's questionable - whether it's legal or not depends on how the viewer interprets it. You can't get much more overt than that without it definitely being illegal though.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  4. #224
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    It's questionable - whether it's legal or not depends on how the viewer interprets it. You can't get much more overt than that without it definitely being illegal though.
    If that image is illegal in the UK, you have a censorship problem of the first order.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  5. #225
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If that image is illegal in the UK, you have a censorship problem of the first order.
    We do indeed
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  6. #226
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,568
    If it falls under the old Obscenity laws obscene is defined as leading to deprave or corrupt, the extreme pornography law (one of the worst written laws in history) where it has to be deemed grossly offensive or the actual law covering lolicon which i think uses similar wording about being grossly offensive or disgusting or otherwise obscene.

    However it also states that the work is intended as pornography defined as being "of such a nature that it must reasonably be assumed to have been produced solely or principally for the purpose of sexual arousal".

    A cartoon schoolgirl over a train doesn't get covered by any of that. Even if it was an edge case, it's as decided by a jury of your peers. Who would not be mental enough to send you to jail for that thing.

    While we do have a censorship problem due to the extreme pornography laws of new labour, which are bonkers, they have never actually been enforced due to the trial by jury requirement.

  7. #227
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    48
    Huh, you learn something new every day.

    On another note; myself and my girlfriend have no issues with booth babes. If someone wants to get paid to dress up as someone at a convention (and use their body as a marketing tool), all the more power to them. Their body, their life, they can do what they want.

  8. #228
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,491
    It's sections 62-68 of The Coroners and Justice Act 2009, which was enacted after the laws surrounding "extreme" pornography. Whether it's been held up in court, or it relies on a jury of your peers, or not, is irrelevant. I don't trust my peers not to send me down for looking at that image (we're talking about the same people that have chased paediatricians out of towns), and I don't want to take the risk any more than strictly necessary.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  9. #229
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    It's sections 62-68 of The Coroners and Justice Act 2009, which was enacted after the laws surrounding "extreme" pornography. Whether it's been held up in court, or it relies on a jury of your peers, or not, is irrelevant. I don't trust my peers not to send me down for looking at that image (we're talking about the same people that have chased paediatricians out of towns), and I don't want to take the risk any more than strictly necessary.
    That was the act I was referencing when I said the one that covers lolicon. It still defines pornography as: "of such a nature that it must reasonably be assumed to have been produced solely or principally for the purpose of sexual arousal". Also of the same act it has to fall into this definition:
    (6)
    An image falls within this subsection if it—
    (a)
    is an image which focuses solely or principally on a child's genitals or anal region, or

    (b)
    portrays any of the acts mentioned in subsection (7).

    (7)
    Those acts are—

    (a)
    the performance by a person of an act of intercourse or oral sex with or in the presence of a child;

    (b)
    an act of masturbation by, of, involving or in the presence of a child;

    (c)
    an act which involves penetration of the vagina or anus of a child with a part of a person's body or with anything else;

    (d)
    an act of penetration, in the presence of a child, of the vagina or anus of a person with a part of a person's body or with anything else;

    (e)
    the performance by a child of an act of intercourse or oral sex with an animal (whether dead or alive or imaginary);


    (f)

    the performance by a person of an act of intercourse or oral sex with an animal (whether dead or alive or imaginary) in the presence of a child.


    The referenced image clearly isn't pornography in that sense at all. The CPS would never take it near a court and a jury would never convict. In the same way a picture of your children in swimming suits would never count either, no matter what the tabloids would say.

    I feel a need to make it clear that the laws in the UK while stupid in some regards aren't as bad as being made out.

  10. #230
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    It's sections 62-68 of The Coroners and Justice Act 2009, which was enacted after the laws surrounding "extreme" pornography. Whether it's been held up in court, or it relies on a jury of your peers, or not, is irrelevant. I don't trust my peers not to send me down for looking at that image (we're talking about the same people that have chased paediatricians out of towns), and I don't want to take the risk any more than strictly necessary.
    Better not go anywhere near a Mothercare then. They have pictures of naked children EVERYWHERE.

  11. #231
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Noirdeathe View Post
    Huh, you learn something new every day.

    On another note; myself and my girlfriend have no issues with booth babes. If someone wants to get paid to dress up as someone at a convention (and use their body as a marketing tool), all the more power to them. Their body, their life, they can do what they want.
    While true at the individual level all our actions as individuals have a social component. Totally different but the same kind of point, I am perfectly free to express my opinion that everyone is a cunt and say so to every stranger I meet. That is my right. However I'll have no friends.

    It's perfectly fine to dress how you want and to make money doing anything that isn't illegal. But if that has a social component that means you are indirectly contributing to "opression" "patriarchy" "take your pick", then you need to be aware of that when picking your individual actions. Then on top of that collectives of people need to be aware of how to balance those individual rights against broader social contexts. So the collective group of gamers or more likely game devs/game companies who hire these booth babes need to think hard about it. Not the women themselves necessarily.

  12. #232
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    While true at the individual level all our actions as individuals have a social component. Totally different but the same kind of point, I am perfectly free to express my opinion that everyone is a cunt and say so to every stranger I meet. That is my right. However I'll have no friends.
    Sure you will. Unfortunately, they'll all be cunts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    It's perfectly fine to dress how you want and to make money doing anything that isn't illegal. But if that has a social component that means you are indirectly contributing to "opression" "patriarchy" "take your pick", then you need to be aware of that when picking your individual actions. Then on top of that collectives of people need to be aware of how to balance those individual rights against broader social contexts. So the collective group of gamers or more likely game devs/game companies who hire these booth babes need to think hard about it. Not the women themselves necessarily.
    People do a lot of things in order to sleep indoors and put food on the table. That doesn't mean those things aren't demeaning or exploitative. This reminds me of the moral watchdogs who are quick to persecute sex workers but not the economic system that drives young women into being sex workers.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  13. #233
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    While true at the individual level all our actions as individuals have a social component. Totally different but the same kind of point, I am perfectly free to express my opinion that everyone is a cunt and say so to every stranger I meet. That is my right. However I'll have no friends.

    It's perfectly fine to dress how you want and to make money doing anything that isn't illegal. But if that has a social component that means you are indirectly contributing to "opression" "patriarchy" "take your pick", then you need to be aware of that when picking your individual actions. Then on top of that collectives of people need to be aware of how to balance those individual rights against broader social contexts. So the collective group of gamers or more likely game devs/game companies who hire these booth babes need to think hard about it. Not the women themselves necessarily.
    I'm not going to lie but all this rampant talk of feminism and MRA-ness in the last year or so has completely bewildered me (and for the most part, fustrated). I will be the first to admit I am wholly out of my depth.

    I'm not sure how choosing to be a booth babe contributes to oppression and all that malarky. I mean, surely they're the ones with the power? They can choose if they do (or don't) do it as well as negotiate the contract. If they had half-naked male models wandering around, I wouldn't care. Companies are going to primarily do what sells, which is fine, they need to make a profit .. but in order to change anything we'll have to first change the public perception on what is appealing and/or acceptable .. which will never happen with the two large gender specific groups at each others throats.

    On a final note however; I personally find Feminism/Mens Rights Advocates wastes of space as both parties put one particular gender before the other (as well as enacting fucking ridiculous power struggles).

    Being Egalitarian is where it's at, just treat people how you want to be treated. It's not hard, holmes.

    Edit: I am in work and cannot spell, punctuate or form coherent sentences.
    Last edited by Noirdeathe; 07-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.

  14. #234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    People do a lot of things in order to sleep indoors and put food on the table. That doesn't mean those things aren't demeaning or exploitative. This reminds me of the moral watchdogs who are quick to persecute sex workers but not the economic system that drives young women into being sex workers.
    Well that's kind of what I was getting at. Fine some people may make an individual choice to be a sex worker and yknow their body whatever. But looking at the broader picture of the sex industry it seems better to override that right etc. But if you phrase it all as what an individual has a right to do to earn money then you lose most of the point.

    It's probably all part of western capitalism over the last 30 years and the focus on the individual above all else that leads to it. I blame Thatcher.

    On a final note however; I personally find Feminism/Mens Rights Advocates wastes of space as both parties put one particular gender before the other (as well as enacting fucking ridiculous power struggles).
    I think you'll find that's not what feminism is.

  15. #235
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Well that's kind of what I was getting at.
    And I was agreeing with you. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Noirdeathe View Post
    I will be the first to admit I am wholly out of my depth.

    [...]

    Being Egalitarian is where it's at, just treat people how you want to be treated. It's not hard, holmes.
    This reminds me of the "why do we need affirmative action programs? Discrimination is over, therefore the harmful effects of discrimination is over" argument.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  16. #236
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Noirdeathe View Post
    Being Egalitarian is where it's at, just treat people how you want to be treated. It's not hard, holmes.

    I'd like to buy you a pint.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  17. #237
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And I was agreeing with you. :P
    Oh yeah. First day back after a Bank Holiday and it's sunny outside. My brain hurts. Also I've been coding between JSON and XML all day for different databases. Bleh.

  18. #238
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And I was agreeing with you. :P



    This reminds me of the "why do we need affirmative action programs? Discrimination is over, therefore the harmful effects of discrimination is over" argument.
    It's actually called Positive Discrimination here. Still not sure what you're trying to get at though, there is still discrimination.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iARHCxAMAO0 - In regards to the previous comment that "Feminism" is not about putting one gender before the other. Small minority, yes, but, unfortunately seems to be growing like a cancer.

  19. #239
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I'd like to buy you a pint.
    Fuck yeah, I love free pints.

  20. #240
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Noirdeathe View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iARHCxAMAO0 - In regards to the previous comment that "Feminism" is not about putting one gender before the other. Small minority, yes, but, unfortunately seems to be growing like a cancer.
    It's actually getting smaller. But whatever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •