Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    This doesn't really show anything petty about gamers. The poll is quite clearly about companies that treat their customers badly, rather than about companies that are immoral. Major video game publishers in general and EA in particular seem to actively despise their customers, so it is little surprise that EA do poorly in polls about how companies treat their customers.
    I'm pretty fucking sure Bank of America treats their customers badly too.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Presumably this explains why Bank of America tends to perform very badly in these polls as well.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    OP has found us out, by voting for a game company when there are worse companies in other industries we have ruined everything, if only we had voted for exxon they would have made a 180 turn in their policies right away.

The world would look different today if exxon had won the golden poo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    When the EA brass are sitting around a table hearing they've been voted the worst company in America for two years in a row in an online poll, I picture them being a little bothered by this. When the Bank of America brass hear they've been voted the worst company in America, I picture howling laughter followed by the lighting of their cigars on the complimentary burning kittens.

I think the mentality is there's two scumbags in the stockades, one's a mass-murder covered head to toe in solid steel plate, the other stole from a charity of which you are a member. You have a single stone, who do you throw it at?

The one you're most likely to hurt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    When the EA brass are sitting around a table hearing they've been voted the worst company in America for two years in a row in an online poll, I picture them being a little bothered by this. When the Bank of America brass hear they've been voted the worst company in America, I picture howling laughter followed by the lighting of their cigars on the complimentary burning kittens.

I think the mentality is there's two scumbags in the stockades, one's a mass-murder covered head to toe in solid steel plate, the other stole from a charity of which you are a member. You have a single stone, who do you throw it at?

Which touches on the REAL "out of touch" aspect. That gamers actually think EA cares beyond a blurb.

Its the same crap with how so many people kept saying "SC's DRM is gonna kill EA, ha hah ah ha!"

Let's look at the facts: SimCity sold very well and (according to an article I read the other day) EA's stocks didn't drop to any noticeable degree because of the launch.
    Yeah, EA sure "learned their lesson" and are now sad and scared of the big mean gamers...
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

You seem to think EA cares.

I'm pretty sure they use the Consumerist to line the parrot cages they have installed in their color-coded Lamborghinis to proceed to those daily executive retreats where you can eat roast condor off a virgin's belly.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Which touches on the REAL "out of touch" aspect. That gamers actually think EA cares beyond a blurb.

Its the same crap with how so many people kept saying "SC's DRM is gonna kill EA, ha hah ah ha!"

Let's look at the facts: SimCity sold very well and (according to an article I read the other day) EA's stocks didn't drop to any noticeable degree because of the launch.
    Yeah, EA sure "learned their lesson" and are now sad and scared of the big mean gamers...
    I really think they do (a little) otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with a defensive post on the EA website (still puzzled as to why they're even acknowledging the existence of some online poll in the first place).

But you're right, DRM dissatisfaction ain't gonna' kill them. Spending absurd amounts of money on the development of games to the point where they can't possibly see a return ought to do it. Here's a gem from publisher Deep Silver: '"I actually think we're much better than the Activisions, EAs, and Ubisofts of the world. People say, 'What do you mean? They are valued at three billion dollars.' I say the difference is that we make money."

I really think they do (a little) otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with a defensive post on the EA website (still puzzled as to why they're even acknowledging the existence of some online poll in the first place).
    Because they have a PR department. That's what PR departments are for. That's not the same thing as caring.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    I really think they do (a little) otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with a defensive post on the EA website (still puzzled as to why they're even acknowledging the existence of some online poll in the first place)
    I think it is partially because their sales are dependent on people who actually believe crap like this poll. Bank of America could be called #1 Worst Company Ever by the devil himself and people would still have little choice over whether that company got to hold their mortgage and screw them over.

EA on the other hand stands to lose sales if "video game journalists" like those at RPS pan every game with an EA logo on it (not saying they do, but occasionally at least some of this site's excess vitriol is directed at EA simply for being EA despite the writers generally being ambivalent to the publishers and more critical of specific policies or games). So confronting a poll like this may be as shallow as trying to save their metacritic and reviews.

We have seen enough scandal with the bribery, perks, weekend vacations and whatnot with reviewers to know that they are worth something to EA, Activision, Ubisoft and the lot. Moore's response says...hey you guys matter...to both the journalists and the investors.
    Last edited by Misnomer; 10-04-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Because they have a PR department. That's what PR departments are for. That's not the same thing as caring.
    You're so literal. They 'care' about money, and their public image is potentially linked with that. I'm not implying they get weepy over being perceived as bastards, nor am I genuinely personifying a company and substituting business sense for actual emotion. Just colouring up the language a bit, that's all!

You don't think they're so far above the online poll on the food chain that they shouldn't be acknowledging it at all? What ballpark is the Consumerist website in, in terms of viewers anyway?

Banned
    Sim city launch was a clusterfuck by all accounts, but it's a joke EA winning this award again because it pretty much makes any criticism of them come across as vapid and lacking a broader perspective (first world problems). The fact that there were people out there galvanizing others to vote EA is pretty dismal really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    So then you agree with Moore that this is a tall trees catch the most wind thing then?

The fact that you equate kicking puppies with a DRM scheme is interesting. Once again I would remind you that Carnival trapped real people on a real boat with real sewage and no way to escape. But, I cannot fathom what that means in your puppy scheme.

But if your standard is "doing something marginally frustrating as a business to the largest number of customers" AT&T should win that one hands down. They even had a Supreme Court case about their "fees" on free phones (which incidentally happened to undermine consumer class action rights in a way that was then reflected by almost every online service provider in the U.S. redoing their EULA to prevent you from taking a class action...including Steam).

Or Facebook for their constantly changing privacy standards and advertisement schemes requiring people to opt out of being exploited.

Or Bank of America (the company that EA blew out of the water) whose robo signing deal affected at least 200,000 mortgage holders (not counting their families, etc.).

There are a lot of tall trees on that bracket and while admittedly EA reaches a lot of people, I don't think low level frustration with the company can add up.
    Kicking puppies is in no way as bad as a boat crash. I agree, the boat crash is horrible. Which would get more news coverage?
    I hate both instances, but my heart would go out to those hurt the most. I would prioritize based on what I could do to help, and which has the most effect, along with which is the most important. I don't think the media would though, would it? Would a poll presented by the media follow the medias desire, the nations, or the individuals?

Also, those who loose everything are probably not those able to vote in this poll. They also will be out there trying to get things back together, engaging through other means, and generally not voting in this poll. (Pure speculation by me there)

The Bank of America are probably objectively worse at serving their customers long term, but day to day they serve them politely with a smile. I don't see the same with EA. So I guess that's where the polling caught attention with those voting.
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 10-04-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I would say a Cruise ship crash and an oil spill is actually enough damage to a reputation if damage to a reputation is going to happen so I actually don't think people were stupid here because they were going for someone that hasn't had a big media blowout because of what they did except maybe for Sim City

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I would say a Cruise ship crash and an oil spill is actually enough damage to a reputation if damage to a reputation is going to happen so I actually don't think people were stupid here because they were going for someone that hasn't had a big media blowout because of what they did except maybe for Sim City
    Then maybe they should rename the award

"American company upset people on the internet think would be most likely to respond to complaints about the quality of their products and services"

Doesn't have the same bite hunh...

How about "American Company most likely to kick metaphorical puppies" that strong enough and similarly lacking in meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    OP has found us out, by voting for a game company when there are worse companies in other industries we have ruined everything, if only we had voted for exxon they would have made a 180 turn in their policies right away.

The world would look different today if exxon had won the golden poo.
    I think the point of this thread is to call the idiots who think EA is the most evil company in the world out for their stupidity and messed up priorities. Voting in a poll like this and expecting it to change anything is stupid. Voting for a video game company in this poll is doubly stupid.

This only makes EA look better as it undermines its detractors image.

You're so literal. They 'care' about money, and their public image is potentially linked with that. I'm not implying they get weepy over being perceived as bastards, nor am I genuinely personifying a company and substituting business sense for actual emotion. Just colouring up the language a bit, that's all!

You don't think they're so far above the online poll on the food chain that they shouldn't be acknowledging it at all? What ballpark is the Consumerist website in, in terms of viewers anyway?
    Yeah, you're really hitting 'em where it hurts.

Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Yeah, you're really hitting 'em where it hurts.

Why the hell is one of them a... umm... squid or something?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    The number of people who play computer games is very big. This means EA affects them pretty much directly. ExxonMobile, Carnival Cruise live in some far away TV land and are easier to dismiss. As for Comcast, it's monopolistic by nature and you are not aware of better alternatives if they are not around.

In any case, this poll is an example of selection bias. It is available to people who are rather internet-savvy. People who use internet a lot are more likely to spend time gaming and not pay Ticketmaster.

edit
    I'm EA was pitted against Facebook first, because it would be interesting to see how much people really hate FB. And many do.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 11-04-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    pass

Banned
    They probably need to break these things down into categories (worst companies in america) Vs one company in truth.