Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, with facebook, your not paying much for the service anyhow. So if they provide "worse business practice", then I could see people caring less. It's harder to cause trouble when you have less to work with. Delivering a broken website for a day gets a different response than charging £60 and delivering a broken website for a week.

Besides, as said, the voting seems to have followed those personally effected and directly effected. As suppose to the worse indirect effects (American Banking) or smaller number of people directly effected (the incidents with ships).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    It seems that a company that killed 20 people last year will lose in this poll to one that made 1000 people lose $20. The nature of polls isn't that they show "the most X" result. The poll shows the company which offended the most people. Rename the poll to: "Which company offended the most people in 2012" and everything will be okay.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Yeah, you're really hitting 'em where it hurts.

I dare not argue with an online comic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    It seems that a company that killed 20 people last year will lose in this poll to one that made 1000 people lose $20. The nature of polls isn't that they show "the most X" result. The poll shows the company which offended the most people. Rename the poll to: "Which company offended the most people in 2012" and everything will be okay.
    If we are voting for the worse company, why even consider the Bank of America or a cruise ship? You do realize even you yourself will have missed the companies making weapons, or those causing collapse in markets of food (starvation) or medical supplies (disease). Again, it's down to both having the knowledge (we don't always, being customers) and the question posed. "Worse company" is not the same as "most harmful" or "most murderous".

It's a poll, on the internet, not a factual and objective examination.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    It seems that a company that killed 20 people last year will lose in this poll to one that made 1000 people lose $20.
    The dead can't vote

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Besides, as said, the voting seems to have followed those personally effected and directly effected. As suppose to the worse indirect effects (American Banking) or smaller number of people directly effected (the incidents with ships).
    And who has the selection bias here?

What we keep failing to say is that more people "harmed" by ea are angry people on the internet than the other companies. It isn't simply that the dead can't vote and it probably isn't true that more people have hand bad customer experiences with EA than Bank of America this year...the difference is that gamers are more likely to post on online blogs.

That's what I mean by gamers being petty. They don't even realize how insignificant they are because they let their own little world views corrupt supposedly larger stories. They justify naming EA for all the weird reasons listed here when in reality they are likely well educated people who should have an idea about the greater corporate harms in the world.

Much like the stupid bias John put on the PC sales being down today. Not everything is about gamers (in that case it is about consumer markets in China, longer hardware life for casual use, and slowing business demand). Yet stories like these put it through the gamer filter and get re-reported as if they mean anything.

All this shows is that there is a myopic and irrational gamer bias on the internet that prevents internet polls or gamers' opinions from meaning anything.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Why the fuck would you take an online poll seriously in the first place?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Why the fuck would you take an online poll seriously in the first place?
    Conversely, why the fuck do you think EA would?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    What the... isn't that what I'm trying to say here?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    What the... isn't that what I'm trying to say here?
    Yes, and I am concurring.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Why the hell is one of them a... umm... squid or something?
    Webcomics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Yes, and I am concurring.
    Sometimes I think everyone on RPS has the same opinion, we just spend 20 pages arguing over how to express it.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Sometimes I think everyone on RPS has the same opinion, we just spend 20 pages arguing over how to express it.
    Not in the slightest.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Nalano's actually agreeing with you there.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    And who has the selection bias here?

What we keep failing to say is that more people "harmed" by ea are angry people on the internet than the other companies. It isn't simply that the dead can't vote and it probably isn't true that more people have hand bad customer experiences with EA than Bank of America this year...the difference is that gamers are more likely to post on online blogs.

That's what I mean by gamers being petty. They don't even realize how insignificant they are because they let their own little world views corrupt supposedly larger stories. They justify naming EA for all the weird reasons listed here when in reality they are likely well educated people who should have an idea about the greater corporate harms in the world.

Much like the stupid bias John put on the PC sales being down today. Not everything is about gamers (in that case it is about consumer markets in China, longer hardware life for casual use, and slowing business demand). Yet stories like these put it through the gamer filter and get re-reported as if they mean anything.

All this shows is that there is a myopic and irrational gamer bias on the internet that prevents internet polls or gamers' opinions from meaning anything.
    Number of people with access to internet voting out side of America effected by EA had anything to do with it? If this was a postal voting poll, the complaints would be more about the Bank of America, plus a few more about poor postal systems.

Is it bias? Is it wrong that they did not vote for the actual companies polluting their food or making weapons? Yes. Would I consider them petty for actually saying what worries and annoys them? Probably not. Would I suggest they don't even bother buying from EA ever again? Yep. Problem solved, if you don't get served by the company, they can't serve you poorly?

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    No he isn't.

Obscure Node

To me this poll mean only one thing: gamers care "a lot" about their consumers rights. You can argue all you want that it's overdone most of the time, it's still pretty good and really not something we should laugh at.

Is it bias? Is it wrong that they did not vote for the actual companies polluting their food or making weapons?
    No because it has nothing to do with what this poll was about in the first place...
    Last edited by Ako; 11-04-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Obviously, this poll isn't a good way of determining the absolute worst company in America. I would suggest some sort of properly constituted commission staffed with learned individuals might be the best way to go for that.

What this poll is good at, however, is indicating that there's a lot of people who are very dissatisfied with EA's service.*

I think that's quite useful to know.

*That's assuming the poll has been conducted with any degree of rigour.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, I definitely agree that people are putting too much thought into this.

But I am also very curious as to how they performed the poll. Specifically, if it was online and wasn't specifically tied to real people (as in they send each real person a key, not letting anyone with "real" data vote) then there is no doubt that this was reddit or one of the other "polite" online collectives abusing it (as opposed to 4chan/Anonymous who would probably have forced it into either a political statement or an insanely vulgar comment)

It is best to view crap like this as being similar to "Time's Person of the Year" where it is almost always just the current leader of whatever superpower nation "won" it a few years back (or it is something even stupider like "You").
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    If we are voting for the worse company, why even consider the Bank of America or a cruise ship? You do realize even you yourself will have missed the companies making weapons, or those causing collapse in markets of food (starvation) or medical supplies (disease). Again, it's down to both having the knowledge (we don't always, being customers) and the question posed. "Worse company" is not the same as "most harmful" or "most murderous".

It's a poll, on the internet, not a factual and objective examination.
    So, in other words, EA is worse at making games than Bank of America at banking. I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    The dead can't vote
    My point exactly.
    pass

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    No he isn't.
    My job here is done.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl