Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    My job here is done.
    I don't think so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Not in the least!

edit- I mean, maybe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    It perplexes me that a company hated so much can still make a ton of money. Apparently boycotting, and telling friends not to buy from EA is too hard. You too can mail links like this http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...l/#more-145571 to your friends. At least SC got removed from Amazon.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    It perplexes me that a company hated so much can still make a ton of money. Apparently boycotting, and telling friends not to buy from EA is too hard. You too can mail links like this http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...l/#more-145571 to your friends. At least SC got removed from Amazon.
    Honestly, it makes perfect sense.

People who "understand" realize that EA is a publisher with a large number of in-house and external development teams. What one team does doesn't necessarily reflect on the other teams. So if a game is good, buy it. So what if EA Montreal sucks, EA Quebec is great.

People who don't "understand" tend to also not care and just buy things on a game by game basis.

And boycotting EA in general (not for specific titles) seems kind of "meh" to me. It would be like saying "Tor continues to publish books written by Orson Scott Card. You better never buy another Tor book again, even if it is written by Brent Weeks or Brandon Sanderson" (note: I have no idea if Tor publishes any of those three authors).
    if you don't like the direction EA is taking a franchise: Don't buy the franchise. But what they do with Madden doesn't necessarily impact Mass Effect 3 (outside of the general shift toward focusing on franchises rather than independent IPs, which will likely go into overdrive now that Riccotello (sp?) is gone), so these blanket boycotts really only hurt the person doing the boycott and the "good" studios who made the games worth getting.

Don't get me wrong: If you feel that EA has done enough horrifyingly bad stuff or something bad enough (to use the book angle: Said publisher, rather than awkwardly ignoring Card, said "He is right. We really SHOULD raise a militia to hunt down and murder all the gay people for reasons"), boycott them as a whole. They screwed the pooch on a few franchises? "Boycott" the franchises. You hate Origin? Refuse to buy anything that only uses Origin (which, admittedly, is most of the library now).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

"Tor continues to publish books written by Orson Scott Card. You better never buy another Tor book again, even if it is written by Brent Weeks or Brandon Sanderson"
    Implying Weeks is better than Card?

Ha. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    All this shows is that there is a myopic and irrational gamer bias on the internet that prevents internet polls or gamers' opinions from meaning anything.
    Patently untrue. Social statistical analysis comes down to the interpretation of demographically skewed data. The poll in question is biased but ultimately every public poll is biased and the trick is to either compensate for the bias or dodge it.

Unless you meant to say the poll isn't a good indicator of which US company is the worst, in which case duh.

I think the people responsible for this:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...e-factory-fire
    should have probably "won" this award. Of course that would require people voting in internet polls to have some knowledge of events which go beyond their selfish wants and needs which is probably too much to hope for in most cases.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    I think the people responsible for this:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...e-factory-fire
    should have probably "won" this award. Of course that would require people voting in internet polls to have some knowledge of events which go beyond their selfish wants and needs which is probably too much to hope for in most cases.
    "In response to Moore’s statement, we’d like to take a moment to explain that our “Worst Company in America” contest exists within the context of this website, which is about consumers and their relationship to the marketplace and to businesses. Just to be clear: The point of this contest, now in its 8th year, is to enable consumers to send a message to a company that provides goods or services to them."
    http://consumerist.com/2013/04/05/ea-admits-it-can-do-better-but-blames-worst-company-success-on-homophobes-and-whiny-madden-fans/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    Implying Weeks is better than Card?

Ha. Ha.
    As a writer: Arguable, but I find Weeks is capable of much greater variety in his work.

As a "person": Yes, Weeks has a tendency to write fridge-friendly women (it is hard to call them "weak", but there is definitely an abundance of "I am strong but I am gonna job to this guy so that the strong male lead can rescue me"). Card actually DID say "How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn". Its the difference between a racist grand-parent and a skinhead with swastikas on every inch of his body.
    Last edited by gundato; 11-04-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    So, in other words, EA is worse at making games than Bank of America at banking. I can live with that.

My point exactly.
    I guess. :)
    Bank of America gets bailed out if they fail (probably not a solution, but no idea if the voters would agree), but EA fails, it fails (you loose your Origin account). Again, most BOA customers probably are not voting on an online poll. EA gamers, being forced online by Origin, might be posed ready to make their voice heard. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Good to see pretend Peter Moore has finally realised the severity of EA's crimes.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes, because that argument works when ever someone does something "wrong". "If drugs/my pyramid scheme was so evil, people would stop coming to me for more".

Yes, they are not the worse company ever. But it's like expecting a poll of "worse company ever" in the "Cooking Now weekly" magazine to not end up on "Tesco because of horse meat"...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Yes, they are not the worse company ever. But it's like expecting a poll of "worse company ever" in the "Cooking Now weekly" magazine to not end up on "Tesco because of horse meat"...
    If this was an Escapist poll, sure, but...
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Good to see pretend Peter Moore has finally realised the severity of EA's crimes.
    Yup.

"EA makes mediocre videogames" - Peter Moore.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Peter Moore's response is an example of what EA likes to do - blame and belittle their customers. Gamers have a sense of entitlement, whoever doesn't support DRM is a thief, we will be telling how and when you should play our game.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Yeah. I think EAs response exactly shows what's wrong with the company and exactly WHY it wins those polls so easily. It's not like that even Activision or Capcom wouldn't be strong contestors.
    EA has the tendency to go with a "We don't fucking care" oppinion towards everything as well as being the spearhead of everything which gives a company negative press. It sometimes feels like EA is thinks it's living on negative press and would cease to exist if something says something nice about them.
    Also, people might still be buying EA games. But looking at their numbers, it's not like EA has been doing well in an growing market. But hey, as long as someone buys their games everything is fine.

Also:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...People-Hate-EA

Almost a year has gone by, and nothing changed. Nothing.
    Okay, one thing changed. Franky is finally gone. But it still has to turn out if this would actually change anything.
    And if nothing changes EA will win this poll every year. Again and again. Even against pedophile Stalin.
    Last edited by bonkers; 19-04-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://kotaku.com/after-four-years-a...edge-476590339
    So it appears they can do good. I just hope the good part and the nasty part can separate.

Perhaps the difference with the other companies is people see them as a necessary evil (rightly or wrongly). Can you vote the company you use that you would not be able to live without as "worst ever"? But we can vote for EA, and be happy if they go under. The other companies we hope are not the worst ever, as we hope they will change? Actually, I'm probably putting too much faith in the intentions and intelligence of those casting their votes?

Network Hub
    Maybe the exact order of "worse" and "worst" in that top of shame is distorted. By various. Maybe.

But that top reflects something very real: how high in the corporate planning and operating rank the "f*** them" paradigm intervenes.

On the bottom of that pyramid there are the actual actions of the organisation. Some of them are unique, not repeatable (projects and programs), others are perpetual (polices, by example).

The higher the "f*** them" paradigm is in this structure the more visible it will be in every action and behavior of that organization because it determines and conditions a lot more of them.

This translates into reality by hitting the "f them" attitude and it's consequences in more various interactions with that organization, more often and more obvious.

This translates in the consumer (in this case) awareness of "how sure am I that going to meet (trade/buy) with that organization is gonna turn out in that organization trying to f*** me".

The top that opened this thread measures this and it's very accurate, in my opinion.
    And EA is where it should be.
    Last edited by tadada; 21-04-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    http://kotaku.com/after-four-years-a...edge-476590339
    So it appears they can do good. I just hope the good part and the nasty part can separate.
    The "problem" with such actions is that EA is not doing this out of generosity or goodwill. It's to protect their own ip.
    It's the same with people liking EA for suing Zynga. But there was nothing "good" about the whole issue.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    It's the same with people liking EA for suing Zynga. But there was nothing "good" about the whole issue.
    Except all the money they spent on the lawyers that could have been channelled to the DRM and General Asshattery department, but wasn't.