Explorer.exe stops responding on startup and continues to endlessly.

So I have a laptop that belongs to the government, and I took it home over the holidays to get some work done. Anyway, I ended up transferring some games onto it for a LAN party, and now as soon as I log in, Windows Explorer.exe stops working, and when it restarts, it just stops working again. Being a government peice of hardware, I'm limited to my access, I cannot boot in safe mode or anything.
    I plan to take it into the IT staff as soon as I get back, but I'd rather not have to. Anyone know how to atleast find out what's causing the problem?

Thanks!!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Were these games legit copies or pirated/hacked games?

If the latter - you're in deep shit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Win XP or 7 or 8?

Network Hub
    I'd start with the obvious, are there any messages in Event Viewer that reference explorer.exe, or just any errors around the time of startup?

Do you have access to msconfig? In the past I've been able to identify a dodgy service just by disabling them one at a time and rebooting between each one.

Network Hub
    Also uninstall any of the dodgy rubbish you put on there and hope they don't dig around too hard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    try a "last known good configuration" restore
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...the-last-.html
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Quote Originally Posted by Creaturemagic View Post
    So I have a laptop that belongs to the government .... I ended up transferring some games onto it for a LAN party
    Daaaaamn. WHY?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    try a "last known good configuration" restore
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...the-last-.html
    Almost certainly locked-out on a corp. laptop but worth a look.

It was CS1.6 non-legit :/ (Some people who were coming for LAN weren't willing to buy it)
    I can't access event viewer or delete the dodgy CS1.6, as explorer crashes instantly every time I restart it in Task Manager.
    I'll try a last known configuration if I can access it.

Thanks so far guys!

PS: Tried a Chkdsk /f
    Told me disk was in use would you like to automatically do it on restart. I said yes but I don't think it did (loading was normal, no visual way of telling) If it did run, it didn't fix it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Creaturemagic View Post
    It was CS1.6 non-legit :/ (Some people who were coming for LAN weren't willing to buy it)
    I can't access event viewer or delete the dodgy CS1.6, as explorer crashes instantly every time I restart it in Task Manager.
    I'll try a last known configuration if I can access it.
    Do you have access to Run? I suspect not on a work laptop, but if you do, in Task Manager, go to File->New Task (Run), then enter 'appwiz.cpl' to open Add/Remove programs to get rid of CS, Explorer.exe doesn't need to be running for this to work.

You can do the same but enter c: to navigate the drive to get rid of any installers or other incriminating files. Also 'eventvwr' to see if there are any relevant messages about explorer.exe.

Edit: You're restarting Explorer in task manager, of course you have access to run...I need to start having my first coffee of the day before posting.

Bro, thanks so much!!! I didn't try C: as I thought it was a sub process of Explorer and wouldn't work. But I tried it and got on, deleted anything that could cause the problem and it now works!!!! Thanks so much, was not looking forward to explaining the situation to staff.