Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

SI: Alternative rules

I have 2 alternative rule sets for your perusal.

1. "2vs2vs2 aka Team Building Exorcise"
    All players are bound in a self arranged pair, live or die both players win or lose together as equals. No holds bared.

2. "Hide Your Shame" all players must demand any player who has a visible legion after turn 20. Strategic deception and all your legions being dead the only reprieves, additionally being excommunicated frees you from those responsibilities but not anyone else. (note:even if you WANT to excom yourself you must still maintain demanding until you are expelled from the concave and unable to demand, which might mean you don't have enough slots free to excom).

You must target valid demandees in a clockwise fashion (the next one along first), expect lots of praetor battles and a shortage of order slots.

Any takers?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I'll try a 2v2v2 game. Would we arrange alliances turn 1, or before we've seen the map?

I dunno, seeing the map might generate too much mess, I guess mess is good.

The alliengances must be publicly stated to avoid "he said he was my ally".

I think in 2v2v2 you should team up with the person opposite to you in the diplomacy wheel. That way there is still a randomness component to the mix and there isn't any heavy drawbacks in turn order.

Activated Node
    I (and friends) did a 2v2v2 a few months back.
    It was ok......although my team of 2 got obliterated around turn 25?.
    We had set teams before the map was generated so all 3 teams kind of had strategies/builds etc to complement each other going in to the game.
    Game never even looked like going to prestige. 2 out of 3 teams pretty much decided they were going to usurp/eliminate other teams asap. Needless to say the first team that had someone get to martial 6 (infernal juggernaut) first was the team doing the eliminating, although there was some resistance.

So it was preformed teams and when the game was generated any luck with regency order or starting positions or such was pretty much the same as a regular game....let the chips fall where they may etc etc.

If you do a 2v2v2 you probably need to have a look at 1 or 2 small things to make it work. Specifically the "expel the heretics" event card. If that card comes up in first 20 turns and someone uses it and it hits anybody the person (and team) it hits is almost guaranteed out of the game really(and 80% chance it hits an opposing team). It's a bit of a gamebreaker. Recommend banning that particular event card in a 2v2v2.

I'd be up for either of these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
    80% chance it hits an opposing team
    66%. Not great odds.

Expulsion from the Concave includes yourself, despite the wording.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Expulsion from the Concave includes yourself, despite the wording.
    Err really?
    Are you sure? Have you seen the person who played expel the heretics event actually be targeted by the event he just played?
    I really assumed it targeted anybody but the person who plays it.

Interested to know if this is the case for sure that expel the heretics can target the person who actually plays it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
    Err really?
    Are you sure? Have you seen the person who played expel the heretics event actually be targeted by the event he just played?
    I really assumed it targeted anybody but the person who plays it.

Interested to know if this is the case for sure that expel the heretics can target the person who actually plays it.
    I don't have any definitive evidence of this but I always thought it was anyone but the person playing the event as well. At least I've never known anyone playing the event to be targeted by it in all of my games of SI.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinox View Post
    I don't have any definitive evidence of this but I always thought it was anyone but the person playing the event as well. At least I've never known anyone playing the event to be targeted by it in all of my games of SI.
    Come on Boy Wonder, to the single player mobile!

I always thought that non targeted events could affect everyone, including the person playing the event.

Certainly the case with the others, I thought it was for excommunication too.