Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Alpha Centauri PBEM club

Hey guys.

There seems to be a lot of interest surrounding Alpha Centauri still, yet the only active forum based PBEM game I can find on the Internet is one hosted on SomethingAwful. It does look fun though, so I was thinking, why don't we try it?

Firstly, I'm no expert on the game. I love it, but I've never been /that/ good at 4X games.

Basically the idea is that we have at least someone to play every faction known to the vanilla game. The leader of said faction can then officially share his game with someone else, if he feels he needs an extra mind or two (or goes on vacation, etc).

We will also need a DM, who will hold all the password keys (in case someone disappears/gets kicked) and serve as an auditor of sorts if someone is suspected of using exploits/cheats (the workload should be /really/ low.) The DM can also work as a narrator, if he so wishes, or whatever tickles his fancy.

The basic rules for now:
    1) No use of known exploits that will decrease the fairness of the game.
    2) <del>Completing your turn within 24 hours of receipt of email. Exceptions can and will be made.</del> Faction turns will be taken on a given day of the week. (This might force some people who cannot possibly organise a response on a certain day of the week, to not play certain factions, but we'll try and sort it out as we start the game.)
    3) A turn can be retracted, but needs to be done within 30min of sending the game on in email, with a new email saying that the previous one is invalid. This as long as rule 2 is still satisfied.
    4) No communication with the members of the other factions out of game, while still in character.
    4a) An exception to the above rule is that this thread is a FFA and if you're willing to part with sensitive information on here, then you are welcome. However you are still obliged to not discuss diplomacy on here.
    x) Rule placeholder.
    9001) Have fun.

How to join? Firstly you need to install the vanilla game (personally I'd suggest in a folder not inside Program Files as that will require you to run the game in administrator mode). Then you need to go here: http://www.civgaming.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7511 and install the patches in order that they are given. I'm not sure if that works with the GoG version, but it should. Optionally you should add "DirectDraw=0" below [Alpha Centauri] in Alpha Centauri.ini, which will force the game to run on your desktop resolution.

Secondly you have to commit to the rules above, with the knowledge that the popular vote or DM can kick you from the game at any time. It is also of importance that you play your faction in character; what that however means is up to you.

Okay guys, let's see if this can work. Factions will be assigned on a first come first serve basis. I also need suggestions on possible rule changes both on here and in-game (or anything else for that matter). For now the in game map will be huge, standard rules will apply and the map set to the highest difficulty level.

Commitment order:
    1) IDtenT - Confirmed
    2) arienette - Confirmed
    3) Cooper
    4) oatish - Confirmed
    5) ConcreteOtter
    6) FunnyB - Confirmed
    7) Vandelay - Confirmed

Zyrden
    kingbiscuit
    Giaddon

The factions in order of play:
    Gaia's Stepdaughters - ConcreteOtter
    Human Hive - FunnyB
    University of Planet - arienette
    GowSpace Industries (Morgan Industries) - IDtenT
    Spartans - Cooper
    Lord's Believers - Vandelay
    Peacekeeping Forces - oatish
    Last edited by IDtenT; 16-08-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Activated Node
    Haha, despite expressing my adoration for this game in another thread, I do suck at it. Never tried it multiplayer though, so I'm in, shotgun university. Also, vanilla SMAC or Alien Crossfire?
    saos.posterous.com for knowledge

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by arienette View Post
    Also, vanilla SMAC or Alien Crossfire?
    Vanilla. Should be able to get the most people like that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Up definitely for this, but I'd like to suggest a change in turn times:

Rather than 24 hours from reciept of email, give each person a set day of the week (there are 7 factions) in which they have to send a turn sometime between 00:00 and 00:00 GMT?

Because otherwise you end up in a situation where you may receive an email at a really unhelpful time where you know you just can't get to your computer for 24hours, but if you know "Wednesdays are AC turn days" you can plan ahead.

May make for a longer game, but might help scheduling better.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Network Hub
    What a shrewd observation. It sounds more than acceptable.

Obscure Node
    Yeah this is a great idea, man.

I love Alpha Centauri but have never gotten into the MP before. Lately, I have been jamming on my GOG copy but I have a boxed one somewhere I could install on my XP if patching won't work.

I am absolutely interested in participating and I agree Vanilla is the way. I will be the Peacekeepers as we are both boring.

Secondly, I second Cooper's idea to have a weekly submission time for turns. Work and life and stuff can really mess with you sometimes.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by oatish View Post
    Lately, I have been jamming on my GOG copy but I have a boxed one somewhere I could install on my XP if patching won't work.
    Boxed copies work fine under Windows 7 64bit if you install all the patches (including the unofficial one), or at least that has been my experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    If you guys end up doing this, you should do writeups as you're playing. It'd be awesome, though you would likely need to condense it tremendously.

Network Hub
    Does anyone know if crossing out lines are disabled on this forum? The usual [s][/s] isn't working. If there is no way of that working, please accept italics as outdated information.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    If you guys end up doing this, you should do writeups as you're playing. It'd be awesome, though you would likely need to condense it tremendously.
    That's the idea. Sensitive information however could be withheld.
    Last edited by IDtenT; 12-08-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    <del datetime="300">i don't think it's possible</del>

oh wait...

(it's [del] tags you want <del></del>-- but with angle brackets instead of square ones =)
    Last edited by Berzee; 12-08-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by IDtenT View Post
    Boxed copies work fine under Windows 7 64bit if you install all the patches (including the unofficial one), or at least that has been my experience.
    Ah ha I will have to take a stab at that once I got Win 7 on my box again.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    <del datetime="300">i don't think it's possible</del>

oh wait...

(it's [del] tags you want <del></del>-- but with angle brackets instead of square ones =)
    Thank you very much. :)

Quote Originally Posted by oatish View Post
    Ah ha I will have to take a stab at that once I got Win 7 on my box again.
    Ah, I misunderstood, forgive me. I figured that when you talked about "my XP" you were talking about your non-gaming PC or something like that. It should work fine under XP as well.
    Last edited by IDtenT; 12-08-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Activated Node
    Eek, never written an AAR before, tend to stick to other subjects.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by arienette View Post
    Eek, never written an AAR before, tend to stick to other subjects.
    Not that important. You can communicate on here what you wish to, as long as it isn't directly with the other factions.

I also would love to try this if there are still spots available. One rule suggestion would be to allow "blind research". I really think that adds a nice bit of reality/randomness to tech'ing.

Have done one complete seven-player Alpha Centauri PBEM, took about three months. The end was terrifyingly swift.

If you want a look

Network Hub
    So, how many commitments are there so far?

<del>Anyone agree with the blind research idea?</del> Semi-blind research is already included in the standard rules.
    Last edited by IDtenT; 13-08-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Activated Node
    I prefer choosing my research, but whatever the majority wants.

So i guess now we just need a couple more players? I call the dirty hippies faction considering the UN and nerds are taken.

FYI: the GOG.com version of AC works fine with the unofficial patch listed by IDtenT at the top (its just a modified .exe file).

I'd love to join this game! Sign me up as the Hive!

EDIT: How long of a game will we run? I mean, how many turns? I just recently discovered you can change this in the .ini files....
    Last edited by FunnyB; 14-08-2011 at 10:13 AM.