Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tuesday sounds good, althought there is a TVA meeting at 9pm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    OK - Anyone who wants to talk about instructing, ie work out the format, content and who does what bits, we should all have a mumble chat.

I'll be on probably from around 2000h BST Tuesday (tmrw) and I can be on at around 2230/2300h most other evenings this week and obviously I'll be around Sunday.

Lets set Hoof Camp provisionally for:
    1900h BST Sunday 22nd April.

It should run to around half an hour letting us get going at 1930 for SemiStratShootySunday. Assuming we don't scare the pants off everyone!

Pick an evening for a Trainers Training Tete-a-Tete?
    Quote Originally Posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
    Tuesday sounds good, althought there is a TVA meeting at 9pm.
    Let's do it anyways. I don't think that all of us need to be on that TVA meeting. So, tomorrow 20:00 pm BST (21:00 CEST/22:00 EEST), right?

As for those that will be (I think that means us Liaisons, Grible), and also taking into account that Wednesday the outfit has a meeting/ war council, I say... Yay, two days of talking about and not playing the game...
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 15-04-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkweeble View Post
    My reasoning for these two bases is that I think the Tech Plants might be the hardest to understand/assault and the Amp Stations are the largest (requiring more spread out squads). Bio Labs are easy to navigate but will likely require their own tutorial for assault and defense. I think this might also be a good time to talk about zooming the minimap and awareness for the size of the area you're in, too. See a bunch of dudes coming from the North pretty steadily? There's probably a Sunderer behind that rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
    I'd say we should do a Hoof Camp first, we may have time to do a facility tour too. I can talk, help plan or anything else as needed.
    I could do either. In fact I could talk about NS Refinery for over two hours, given enough water for me and coffee and Grible Glue for the rest (Patent Pending - indefinitely - the lawyers went NC and the Patent Office joined the TR) to keep everyone awake and glued in front of their monitors.

But I don't think we should yet. Keep it short, keep it sweet, keep it basic. If people learn how to shoot, move, orient, seek and provide cover, we are almost there. When doing an assault, we can go for the time being with the time-honoured format of "Jenny is that thing with the shield icon in the minimap, and also on of Grible's ex-girlfriends. Both having a tendency to explode when pressed".

We should never exceed 20-30 minutes. It is people's game time. And that is the longest people can remain attentive. Weird cognitive trait. I'm always fascinated by them.

After we've covered the basics, we could do those. And while doing them, also explain to people that we are doing such and such because that is what the application of what demonstrated in basic is in that occasion. Keep hammering the basics, and build upon them.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 15-04-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Reminder: tonight at 20:00 pm BST is the Trainers Tete-a-tete. Be there or be somewhat angular-shaped.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Will there be Squad Tuesday today, then?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Reminder: tonight at 20:00 pm BST is the Trainers Tete-a-tete. Be there or be somewhat angular-shaped.
    I might not make it to eight o'clock. My son is not yet in bed and it's my turn tonight, I'll probably be on at around 20.20-20.30. Eiother you wait for me or you don't I'll hop on when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Will there be Squad Tuesday today, then?
    Well, Squad-play Tuesdays have become TACGIR Everyday, and tonight is going to be the kick-off. So, if you want to do some tactical squad-play tonight, come join us! We'll probably start when we have enough people online for it to be meaningful.

Languishing on Page 7 of this forum is this thread: A Walkthrough to Capturing Facilities.

Is it still relevant and accurate? It's a good resource that someone put a lot of time into, and it's useful for new players!
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    The shield and generator stuff is still relevant I think, but there have been some changes that is not in there, most notably the tunnels.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I think learning the jargon and the locations will help new players understand what's being said in Mumble and what's going on in the game a lot quicker; learning the facilities would be another big element of getting new people to be effective in game. I know I've only been playing a week or two but I still spend far too much time running around inside facilities trying to get somewhere, only to be confronted by another wall or stairs leading in the wrong direction.

The map becomes pretty useless once you have three squads on a facility - all you can see are squad dots, even with [ and ] to zoom it in and out. Learning facility layouts would be a great bonus.

FPS skills can be picked up through play and getting a better feel for the movement and weapons in game; something that's complicated by the different classes.

Picking your battles seems to be a far more important factor in this game than an FPS like BF3 or COD where (although people take different roles) the damage that each person can sustain is essentially the same. In PS2 I've had a lot more success in combat as a light assault by simply running away when encountering heavy assault or MAXs rather than trying to stand and shoot. EDIT: Then you drop down on them again from a higher level and shoot them in the back, run away when they turn around, rinse and repeat. Repeatedly flanking (horizontally or vertically) is about the only way to take on heavier classes with carbine-equipped LAs.

But then, I'd much rather shoot the enemy in the back of the head then in the face. Sneaky sneaky wins.
    Last edited by sketchseven; 17-04-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    I know I've only been playing a week or two but I still spend far too much time running around inside facilities trying to get somewhere, only to be confronted by another wall or stairs leading in the wrong direction.

The map becomes pretty useless once you have three squads on a facility - all you can see are squad dots, even with [ and ] to zoom it in and out. Learning facility layouts would be a great bonus.

This! And also agree about picking your battles.

My biggest problem is working how to get up and down levels in facilities - most of the time I give up on finding the stairs and just jump off the nearest edge. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyndylan View Post
    This! And also agree about picking your battles.

My biggest problem is working how to get up and down levels in facilities - most of the time I give up on finding the stairs and just jump off the nearest edge. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Tip for flinging yourself off things:
    Use of a grav lift makes you immune to fall damage for some period (5 seconds or something?). So if you want to jump down somewhere, just go touch a lift (then hop out again) and then jump.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Tip for flinging yourself off things:
    Use of a grav lift makes you immune to fall damage for some period (5 seconds or something?). So if you want to jump down somewhere, just go touch a lift (then hop out again) and then jump.
    CMaster, you are quite literally a lifesaver. I will now be able to throw myself from dizzying heights with even more reckless abandon than I have been already!
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I'm going to do an exercise in proper comms usage on sunday I think. Like five minutes of getting everyone aboard, after my aggression cover thing.
    Find me on the Steams

So this thing is growing legs and in danger of running away with us.

Assuming anyone turns up to listen not to do a turn then the plan is currently as follows:-

Grible introduces and gives a quick overview (2 mins)

Dewi and Coffee and ??? said they would do a HUD and interface overview followed by a very quick tour of various base types. (10-15 mins)

• Orientation of your Map.
      • Radar
      • Directions
      • Understanding Locations.
      • Spotting and calling out targets.

Grible and Mr Eclectic cover basic Infantry skills and talk about team work. Staying away from pure SL stuff and larger unit tactics as the subject of a future session but mentioning use of smoke and flanking etc. (10 mins)

• Unit cohesion.
      • Covering each other and sticking together.
      • Single column and skirmish line.
      • Avoiding obstructing each other's firing lines.
      • Enfilading fire and Covering/Suppression fire
      • Use of Cover.

Ridebird and Laldy(?) do a bit on aggressive taking of ground, closing with and killing the enemy. (<10mins)

• Taking ground

Ridebird then talks about comms discipline (5 mins)

That's us at about 35+ planned minutes already. Given it will overrun, people will talk too much and things will take longer then this could end up being the hour long marathon I want to avoid.

I'm assuming that at least some of the talks will take place "on the ground" in the presence of the enemy so people will be dying and re-spawning and missing bits and so on.

May I tactfully ask the Gir-fessors to keep their bits as short as humanly possible and then we can keep topping up the lesson during normal play and expand in future sessions. Can I also ask people to keep it lightish hearted, and useful to both the Group players and TagGir. This has been billed as a Hoof Camp, I would rather not get bogged down in the details of attacking Mani from three sides while maintaining crisp callsigns and moving in perfect triangles with proper covering fire from a tank column.

Overview is my watch word, we shall do detail in later sessions if people want to expand and people want to listen - but asking people to give up ages of good playing time on a Sunday to listen to us pontificate is stupid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    The radio discipline bit is for SLs, ROs and PLs only really, so calfs that are not very interested in that can go off and test their new skills. It should not take 5 minutes either, just 2 minutes of quick pointers.
    Find me on the Steams

Dewi and Coffee and ??? said they would do a HUD and interface overview followed by a very quick tour of various base types. (10-15 mins)

• Orientation of your Map.
      • Radar
      • Directions
      • Understanding Locations.
      • Spotting and calling out targets.

Ok so I may have over stretched myself a bit here. Given that we wanna keep this quick one person speaking is probably the best idea.

I'm moving home in a week and a half and running a Comic Con next weekend so time is short right now, given I'm having staffing issues for the Con.

Would you be OK running this bit on your own coffee?

if not, I can make an appearance for that bit.

Activated Node
    Assuming anyone turns up to listen not to do a turn then the plan is currently as follows:-
    What time should we be turning up and listening? (and date, it's Sunday right?)

1900h BST Sunday. I may have put the wrong date on the website. This is due to me being a moron and setting it up after midnight.

Although since I hate this game and everything it stands for I might have to sulk for a bit before hand. (booking in sulking for around 1830h)

Actually it turns out I'm not going to be able to make it to this training session.
    So feel free to carry on without me, I have to go see my Grandmother as a matter of urgency and hospital visiting hours are apparently 1900-2030.

Sorry to hear that Grible. Hope everything is, or will be, okay with your gran.