Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Frengler View Post
    Do we have anyone crazy enough to try and get an air squad up and running?
    I'd be up for some dedicated flytime if this runs, I really enjoy ground attack / recce scythe, would be good to push myself to mix up the flying with some A2A, plus lib and gal time too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    It could be possible, maybe, to coordinate TACGIR Infantry with a TACGIR Air group. It should be easier to give the air group the ground support they need with a tighter team on the ground. Let's try it sometime!
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Activated Node
    I'd be up for tactical infantry/armour/air squads, I'll play any class/vehicle as needed. I can't aim a scythe to save my life though (even against stationary ground targets :S ), but I think I make a reasonable lib pilot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Updated with redeploy requirement - meaning you have one minute to redeploy. You are expected to suicide instantly. This demands that SLs are very clear with this.

By the way, AMS sundy is something most should have, and in TACGIR I expect everyone to be ready to pull a sundy if needed. It's just 50 certs though.
    Find me on the Steams

This is awesome, thanks for putting all the effort in. I hope it is going to work well.

You can count on me all nights I'm online, tactical play is what I find most rewarding. I play and have certed almost all classes and vehicles, with the notable exceptions of medic and MAX (that said, it doesn't mean I would refuse to roll as these).

I don't feel confident enough to lead squads myself, so I would like to express my gratitude to those that organise squad play and provide opportunities for others to enjoy this aspect of the game. Again, great work!

I'll try to make a dedicated effort at getting a flight squad up and running. In my view it should be a separate squad that can be called upon by PL (or other squads) to assist. My initial idea is to get two Lib's crewed and the rest can go Scythe. We'll cover squads taking bases by providing eyes in the sky, helping take out turrets and assist with taking out vehicles. We can also cover armoured advances or scout ahead.
    "Time is a companion, travelling with us on the journey of life, to remind us to cherish each moment as it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A good close support air squad would be an amazing thing to have, but it requires a couple of things that we have not been good at so far.

One: On foot squad leads have to call out targets often and clearly.

Two: The on the ground crews need to take the responsibility for keeping the air clear themselves, not magically expecting a couple of scythes to do it.

Three: The air squad needs to stay out of combat except when called in. Most of our air squads in the past have wanted to be "moving with" the ground forces. This has always meant that when we actually need them (eg to hit a sunderer or clear up that blob of infantry on a hill) they are unavailable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    I'll try to make a dedicated effort at getting a flight squad up and running. In my view it should be a separate squad that can be called upon by PL (or other squads) to assist. My initial idea is to get two Lib's crewed and the rest can go Scythe. We'll cover squads taking bases by providing eyes in the sky, helping take out turrets and assist with taking out vehicles. We can also cover armoured advances or scout ahead.
    Great idea, and the only way this could work with the current game and metagame. Armour, air and infantry in coordination, otherwise vehicles go boom before you've even made the first pay to Nanite Ned. We should definitely work on these, and for start make them our priority.

Anyway, tonight we'll start rolling with TACGIR. There is ofcourse a training meeting at 20:00 pm BST, so we start organising that, and a TVA meeting right afterwards. RIDEBIRD, EsotericReverie and I are all TVA Comms Liaisons, but I don't think that all of us will attend the TVA meeting, so we could get this thing rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    A good close support air squad would be an amazing thing to have, but it requires a couple of things that we have not been good at so far.

One: On foot squad leads have to call out targets often and clearly.

Two: The on the ground crews need to take the responsibility for keeping the air clear themselves, not magically expecting a couple of scythes to do it.

Three: The air squad needs to stay out of combat except when called in. Most of our air squads in the past have wanted to be "moving with" the ground forces. This has always meant that when we actually need them (eg to hit a sunderer or clear up that blob of infantry on a hill) they are unavailable.
    Exactly. Especially on step three:
    Unless called in specifically, Air Squadron does only CAP missions over friendly airspace, behind friendly AA cover, denying the enemy the opportunity to flank us on the ground, or suppress us with their air. CAS missions should be in coordination with the ground forces. So that they don't have the time and space to organise their AA, as they are attacked both by air and ground.

TR are doing that. For start, we should see how we can adopt their strategy to our style and weapons.

Activated Node
    CAP? CAS?

(if brevity is the soul of wit, why can I not make a post less than 10 characters long?)

Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi View Post
    CAP? CAS?

(if brevity is the soul of wit, why can I not make a post less than 10 characters long?)
    CAS = Close Air Support
    CAP = Combat Air Patrol
    "Time is a companion, travelling with us on the journey of life, to remind us to cherish each moment as it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."

I should be on tonight to try and get this started. Bear with me as I have little experience as a leader and know virtually nothing of air tactics. It's just that I've seen us try to get this started before but it never really took off and I think we can benefit greatly from a decent air group.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi View Post
    CAP? CAS?

I read some of my posts about tactics and operations, and I really can't stand myself sometimes: I sound like a militaristic knucklehead.

But is is standard terminology, so there you go. Main reason to use it, is that if someone comes across an article about another game or even real world tactics, that refer to these or similar terms, the connection can be made immediately, and perhaps we can adopt and adapt that to this game.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 16-04-2013 at 11:54 AM.

I should be on tonight to try and get this started. Bear with me as I have little experience as a leader and know virtually nothing of air tactics. It's just that I've seen us try to get this started before but it never really took off and I think we can benefit greatly from a decent air group.
    Sure. I think for start we should focus on just getting to operate together. Larger objectives can be achieved down the road. Let's just focus on having fun and pulling some cool tactics and stunts.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The thing with CAS is that it works well to wipe out ground targets, but especially a mobile group can't expect to be safe from hostile air due to it taking a while to down an esf, and the buggers being really mobile. So, even when we have an air squad, we should always have 2 bursters when we're expecting attacks from above.

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Sounds good. At a tournament I play at we have AAR's each week. It follows this format(differs a bit per company):

Name:
    Battle number:
    Map played:
    Number of hours played:
    Who was there:
    Things the company did well:
    Things the company needs to improve:
    Things that Division did well:
    Things Division needs to improve:
    Badge or medal recommendations: (post here or PM if you prefer)

Having a somewhat standardised format for AARs would be a good thing I think - certainly for me I'm more likely to contribute if I know what kind of information I need to supply.

Does the format above work for us? Should we have weekly AARs, daily, or less frequently? Are AARs personal, or corporate (the above definitely seems personal)?

I don't know if anyone here ever ventures over to ARMA2's subforum, and the Folk forums, but they have regular AARs which seem to work well, with the introductory post then individuals chipping in with their perspective. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to clog the forum up with hundreds of TACGIR AAR threads. Here's a link to Folk: http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=782

Obviously as we don't have "missions" we couldn't use their format exactly, but as we do tend to operate by attacking or defending specific facilities that would be an easy way of splitting an evening up.

Any thoughts? Once we're up and running I'm happy to start producing brief AARs for evenings I'm involved - my one caveat being that I'm still a newbie, so spend most of my time being thoroughly confused (hoping TACGIR will change that!).
    Last edited by Kyndylan; 16-04-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: stupidity
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Another requirement for air squad is that everyone need to be heavily invested in libs and scythes. If you're shot down you should be able to spawn another aircraft, and lib guns are essential.

I'm going to chat with Loki if I see him here or ingame since he has wanted an air squad several times.
    Find me on the Steams

Activated Node
    I hope this TACGIR will function more accourdingly to the Keep It Simple approach, and handle more managable tasks such as "Take down this sunderer" rather then "Take this BioLab".
    Clear objectives, fast response time, and tight teamwork is where it's at for me.

There's always work to be done regarding simple things like calling out targets based on compass directions and utilizing squad-numbers for orders "1-3 secure A, 4-6 secure B".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyndylan View Post
    Does the format above work for us? Should we have weekly AARs, daily, or less frequently? Are AARs personal, or corporate (the above definitely seems personal)?
    Not without some changes, I'd suggest we do something like a Scrum sprint retrospective, with a few additions:

• date and time
    • continent
    • goal of the operation (should try to have one, at least if we run alone some times)
    • length of the operation
    • list of participants or at least leaders
    • what we did well*
    • what needs improvement*

* are picked straight from the Scrum methodology, and should lead to a list of things to keep in mind until next time. Preferrably, this list should be made available in concise bullet-point format somewhere where it will be easy top look up for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndylan View Post
    ...they have regular AARs which seem to work well, with the introductory post then individuals chipping in with their perspective. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to clog the forum up with hundreds of TACGIR AAR threads.
    No need for hundreds of threads. Thankfully there is an After Action Reports thread, on page 5 of the threads list as of this writing, and sadly underused.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

The recall requirement is definitely a good idea. Also, having CAS spotters and CAS is gonna be awesome. I think it's to be expected that there will be a learning curve for any SL but we should support anyone who tries as it will build up a pool of good SLs which is never a bad thing.