Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Not without some changes, I'd suggest we do something like a Scrum sprint retrospective,
    Scrum, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
    The recall requirement is definitely a good idea. Also, having CAS spotters and CAS is gonna be awesome. I think it's to be expected that there will be a learning curve for any SL but we should support anyone who tries as it will build up a pool of good SLs which is never a bad thing.
    I agree. Let's keep it simple for the time being. Further down the road, we can experiment with Air Control Officers and Forward Observers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Scrum, eh?
    Yeahm, I'm a professional software developer and the method we use is Scrum, or at least very close.

I agree. Let's keep it simple for the time being. Further down the road, we can experiment with Air Control Officers and Forward Observers.
    Actually, just using spotters at all would be a great improvement, even for infantry combat. Having someone out on the periphery, who can keep a watch on the spawn room and approaches and spot any incoming Sundies, or engies/LAs trying to mine/C4 ours.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Yeahm, I'm a professional software developer and the method we use is Scrum, or at least very close.
    Best workspace experience was when I was working in an internal software development team for a large company that used a Scrum approach.

Actually, just using spotters at all would be a great improvement, even for infantry combat. Having someone out on the periphery, who can keep a watch on the spawn room and approaches and spot any incoming Sundies, or engies/LAs trying to mine/C4 ours.
    We spoke briefly in the WAS thread about that role could be fulfilled by an Infiltrator sitting on the outskirts overlooking the attack area and the vicinity. Granted, it isn't the most exciting role in the world though.
    "Time is a companion, travelling with us on the journey of life, to remind us to cherish each moment as it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    My thought regarding spotters is rather simple. Sitting as an infil is not very fun unless you are a very good sniper. We should have one of those again when Ch1ll1e (dunno if you remember him) returns soon, after being PC-less for some time. Otherwise I think we should rely on LAs (light assaults) for the spotting duty.

This is an example of a situation that I thought up.

Goal - Tower breach/pre-secure of tower before main platoon arrives

4 HA or 2 MAX + 2 HA, 2 LA, 4 medics, one infiltrator, one engineer. HAs/MAX/medics/engineer breach A. LAs circle the tower and outlying points looking for defenders, flipping B and C. Infiltrator hacks out sunderer and hides it. Engineer or someone else hacks out a second sundy to place in the garage.

LAs job is recon and circling around looking for enemies, if none are there we spread. We then await main platoon to arrive and hold the base where we can join the fight if there is one.

Other examples of LAs as recon is in bio labs where they are invaluable as rooftop spotters.

edit: Oh and I didn't mean to be dismissive of the CAS idea. I think two libs + a TACGIR infantry squad could hold of a much larger force then themselves and that could work excellent. It requires good lib pilots/gunners though that can pull a heavily certed lib each.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Best workspace experience was when I was working in an internal software development team for a large company that used a Scrum approach.
    Yeah, it is very empowering as a developer to be working that way. The problem is selling projects like that to larger customers. There's that organisational inertia you've mentioned, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frengler View Post
    We spoke briefly in the WAS thread about that role could be fulfilled by an Infiltrator sitting on the outskirts overlooking the attack area and the vicinity. Granted, it isn't the most exciting role in the world though.
    I wouldn't mind doing this every once in a while. Not for a whole evening, but for an encounter or two, maybe? Would be interesting to switch this role between a few different guys. I did try some of this once, defending Indar, just west of our warpgate, is it Camp Connery? If you go from warpgate out to the tower building between WG and Connery (using the teleporter near the easternmost Galaxy terminal), you can sit in the turrets there. You've got a field of view that perfectly covers the approach from spawn room to cap point at Connery. Managed to spot a few Enemies trying to flank our Sunderer.

It does make a difference, and it does feel good to do it.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Yeah, it is very empowering as a developer to be working that way. The problem is selling projects like that to larger customers. There's that organisational inertia you've mentioned, again.
    Tell me about it... In the end, the upper management forced the department head and the best programmers out (internal team, so in a sense the company was the customer). Institutional inertia is a PITA. Organisations are always either less or greater than the sum of their parts. Never equal.

Anyway, this is also one of the reasons I like this game. The speed they went from design, to development and release, and the constant release of updates is truly amazing. I would love if they did a Sneak Peek on their development methodology.

PS: Sorry for derailing the thread. Consider it though an example that TACGIR is still us Giraffes hanging around and having a chat.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 16-04-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Obscure Node
    I'd be interested in gunning a Lib on a semi-regular basis and I'd be happy to dump a bit of SC/Certs to get mine up to scratch for any potential pilots out there. Any reccomendations for weapons and loadouts?

Can't say I'd be interested in Scythe flying though...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just found this video:

Really shows what CAS can be.

Not without some changes, I'd suggest we do something like a Scrum sprint retrospective, with a few additions:

• date and time
    • continent
    • goal of the operation (should try to have one, at least if we run alone some times)
    • length of the operation
    • list of participants or at least leaders
    • what we did well*
    • what needs improvement*

* are picked straight from the Scrum methodology, and should lead to a list of things to keep in mind until next time. Preferrably, this list should be made available in concise bullet-point format somewhere where it will be easy top look up for future reference.

No need for hundreds of threads. Thankfully there is an After Action Reports thread, on page 5 of the threads list as of this writing, and sadly underused.

Brilliant - nice and simple. Case closed, unless other people have suggestions?
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Obscure Node
    Not to be overly negative because this sounds like a good way to play, and maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but what about this plan prevents TACGIR being a squad of vets?

This would potentially leave the 'normal' giraffe platoon without the usual quality leadership and teamwork? By taking the supposed 'best' players out and putting them into a separate squad surely the dynamic in each squad will change? Will this kill the concept of a mixed ability squad?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    Just found this video:

Really shows what CAS can be.
    Did you post that just to make me retract my previous statement?! Wish I had the time to learn to fly like that...

Network Hub
    I wouldn't mind playing LA / Infil spotter / forward air control from time to time. Infil recon dart can be used from quite long range, this could be a good tool in the absence of being able ping the map to alert comrades.

Another possibility is a radar scythe with extended afterburners, flying dedicated low and fast passes in advance so that SLs can get waypoints down on enemy sunderers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Sitting as an infil is not very fun unless you are a very good sniper.
    I'd love to be one of them (a good sniper) but currrently I am most definitely not!

Interestingly, PS2 is about the only FPS I've played where I haven't defaulted to a sniper role. Perhaps this is because the two times I've gone infiltrator I haven't made a single kill before dying, or perhaps it's for another reason.

Either way, I'm keen to invest some time improving my sniping skills, so sitting around as an infil every now and again and taking potshots while calling out targets seems like a nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbonius View Post
    Not to be overly negative because this sounds like a good way to play, and maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but what about this plan prevents TACGIR being a squad of vets?

This would potentially leave the 'normal' giraffe platoon without the usual quality leadership and teamwork? By taking the supposed 'best' players out and putting them into a separate squad surely the dynamic in each squad will change? Will this kill the concept of a mixed ability squad?
    Heh, well currently I'll be preventing it from being a squad of vets, as I'm currently only about one week old (or ten hours, if you prefer it in play time)!

But yes, I see your point in that there is a danger. I'm not sure what can be done to manage this risk - except to trust in the nature of the outfit and its participants?
    On Steam - Kyndylan

The new lattice system that is on the test server looks great. Plus I think it will make scouting and forward observing more effective.

For lib certs:
    - Flares are a must, there's so much lockon aa now it's mad. Afterburners will make you go slightly less slowly, flares will keep you alive.
    - Zepher with thermal scope. Worth the extra certs over night vision.
    - Precison Bomber airframe is by far the best. Flyin with level 3 is so nimble, try it out in vr.
    - I use flak armour but I've heard good reports about fire suppression.
    - Get the at front gun and walker aa rear gun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbonius View Post

Actually, one of the reasons for this is for players, be they veteran, new to this game, or new to FPS games in general, to share experience and teach each other. There is no entry barrier or requirements. Using this format, we hope that we will also be able to give clear directions and orders, and the reasoning behind them. Also, since we will try for a more cohesive and tactical playstyle, newer players will be able to always count on someone watching their back.

Of course, it is not training. That is something that we will formulate tonight, during our Training Meeting, among those that will undertake that, and kick off this Sunday. But the combination of a bit more structured training and a venue to apply that in a more focused manner will IMHO be even more helpful for newer members.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndylan View Post
    Either way, I'm keen to invest some time improving my sniping skills, so sitting around as an infil every now and again and taking potshots while calling out targets seems like a nice idea.
    Next time VS hold Crossroads and NC/TR the Crown (happens constantly), give me a shout and I'll show you a nice training spot

Next time VS hold Crossroads and NC/TR the Crown (happens constantly), give me a shout and I'll show you a nice training spot
    Thank you kindly MrEclectic, I'll definitely give you a buzz if I remember.

Although, actually, you raise a good point. How long does it take to begin to learn the maps? I have NO IDEA whatsoever where either of those locations are, or even which continent they're on...
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndylan View Post
    Thank you kindly MrEclectic, I'll definitely give you a buzz if I remember.

Although, actually, you raise a good point. How long does it take to begin to learn the maps? I have NO IDEA whatsoever where either of those locations are, or even which continent they're on...
    I guess it doesn't take that long for someone to learn some of the most important facilities (not based on size - mostly how the battle flows and which are the most crucial to that) and some of their peculiarities. After a handful of evenings, you'll notice that we follow an almost given sequence of base captures/defences. Depends also how often you play on a given continent.

After that you start to recognise the patterns and that in some cases it is not about the base. The ground around it and in between bases are some times more important.