Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar

[VS] Tactical Giraffes: An Introduction

Three-Headed-Giraffe.jpg
    Tactical Giraffes covering eachother in the wild.

You all know about the whole discussion thing so I won't even bother with laying any of that out. Here is to hoping that this is a system that will end this and actually work for all involved. I will start of by saying that this is not just coming from me, and that this is a product of a discussion between me, Cooper, EsotericReverie and MrEclectic. We can discuss TACGIR on wednesday, but what is written is here is pretty much how it's going to be.

Tactical Giraffes is basically special giraffes renamed with a more describing name, with a couple of extra things to remove the stigma of having to ask sort of permission to start it. The concept is simple - to offer teamplay oriented tactical squad play on a daily basis. No, you are not forced. Everyone has a choice in how to play - which is why this was created. If you like a smaller group to play with and want to play tactically, do come along. Below is TACGIR described in bullet points.

What is is

• The idea is to offer focused squad play at any time, where a squad or two can break away from the main platoon.
    • This means covering eachother, flanking, strong squad leadership and following orders. It does not mean specifically using silencers or any such thing (but it doesn't mean you can't).
    • It always includes tactical play and attempting to stick together and working as a team. Everyone who likes this style of play or would like to try it is welcome - no certs or skills required. Medics are always needed and can be played well without a single cert.
    • TACGIR focuses on tight infantry play. The idea is that a similar squad/concept can be created for those that prefer to mostly play with air/armor - please do start a TACGIR for that if you want to.
    • Squad leaders for TACGIR are expected to be strong, decisive, leaders that take charge and lead the squad.

How it works
    • Three leaders are in charge of this at the moment - Ridebird, MrEclectic and EsotericReverie. More leaders that can do this are welcome to talk to any of us.
    • The idea behind this is that if you yourself feel a bit uncomfortable with asking in platoon to go to TACGIR, you can just send us a tell and we will set it up for you. If you are not uncomfortable with asking, by all means go ahead. The thought behind specific leader's are just that we avoid the whole discussion.
    • Joining and such simply works by checking interest either by X-ing up in chat, or simply by starting the squad and recruiting.
    • For platoon leaders - TACGIR squads should be utilized like any squad and follows your orders, but decides their own way to achieve their goal. We are not a seperate thing doing our own thing - we work with the platoon. The small size does not mean we should only do stuff that is recon or such - TACGIR is in it for the fight.
    • Rapid response is a requirement for TACGIR. When SLs call redeploy, you have one minute to get to warp. When a redeploy is called, you suicide. This also demands that SLs are very clear with orders - speak loud when calling orders and redeploys.

Finally, this should end the discussion on outfit purpose and such things, and also removes the need for squad play tuesdays (as they haven't even been remembered). TACGIR creates a venue for tactical play at any time, and exists to provide that experience at any time, for anyone who wants to join. As the compromise comms did not work, I felt this was the way forward. I hope people will not be negative or fear that this changes the outfit in any way. It mainly serves to create an actual working venue for those of us that prefer tactical play, and that we can do so without stigma or fear of causing a stir.

Another thing - please post after action reports and such here. I am myself kind of bad at it, but please go ahead.
    Last edited by RIDEBIRD; 16-04-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sounds good. At a tournament I play at we have AAR's each week. It follows this format(differs a bit per company):

Name:
    Battle number:
    Map played:
    Number of hours played:
    Who was there:
    Things the company did well:
    Things the company needs to improve:
    Things that Division did well:
    Things Division needs to improve:
    Badge or medal recommendations: (post here or PM if you prefer)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    • For platoon leaders - TACGIR squads should be utilized like any squad and follows your orders, but decides their own way to achieve their goal. We are not a seperate thing doing our own thing - we work with the platoon. The small size does not mean we should only do stuff that is recon or such - TACGIR is in it for the fight.
    Again, for emphasis:

TACGIR squads are not a separate entity. They are still organic components of the platoon(s). They just give a PL/SG more options on how to achieve an objective. Suppose that we are defending a tower. The main platoon is doing our usual stuff, holding off the enemy, while the TACGIR squads are sweeping the perimeter, methodically destroying their sunderers. Main platoon attacks enemy who has infantry and armor. Again, main platoon does the main attack, TACGIR squads may operate as a concentrated fire Lancer battery, or flank them.

TACGIR squads are not SpecOps. They can be, but they can also be Shock Troops, Mechanised Infantry (Armour and Infantry Combined Arms Warfare), etc. Hard to reach and heavily defended enemy sunderer? We will gal drop right on top of it and blow it up before they know what hit them. We will die, main platoon will mop them up. The enemy has AV turrets and Prowlers/Vanguards? We will answer with a squad of Magriders and a squad of heavies doing leapfrogging, destroying the enemy armour while keeping ours alive, so main platoon can keep on pushing and reaching that enemy position.

As a rule of thumb, how to utilise us: you fix them, we flank them.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 15-04-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Activated Node
    Great idea, very well explained and organised.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Might add one more thing: TACGIR is not going to be the anarcho-democracy that RPS proper is. To give us the flexibility and adaptibility we want to achieve, we will enforce what rules we need. The open philosophy of RPS is wonderful in so many ways, but it lends itself to a bit of organisational inertia that we wish to distance ourselves from concerning gameplay-related things.

I've set up a TACGIR channel in Mumble. Three channels currently, "Alpha", "Bravo" and "Mess hall", where we can gather for briefings, debriefings or just general chatter.

I suggest we make it a habit to gather there before moving out, to discuss what tactics or what kind of other thing we're going to attempt, and to get back there again afterwards to evaluate our performance.

Anyway, this all sounds terribly, terribly serious, and in a way it is, because we want to focus on the tight gameplay, and we want to improve, constantly learning, finding new skills and new ways of dishing out the hurt to the enemy. We won't be SERIOUSGIRAFFES all the time though, and we still want to enjoy each other's company. So, joking and fun and games are all welcome, but when things start getting hectic, we will probably be a bit more focused on the action.

Looking forward to trying this, and I hope we get a few people who want to join in!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Great, concise info and it seems like you have a good vision for how to do this. I hope one day I have the discipline to commit to one of these and be a useful team member but I'm pretty hopeless to be honest. I start with good intentions but I get distracted and miss orders or just talk bollocks in mumble while flipping a scythe at the warpgate. Until I grow up a little I think I'll stick to the main groups where I can get away with being as intimidating in combat as this guy;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/J4883R/123-1.gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Good initiative. Expect me around on those night I have the time and energy, reviving people with every fiber of my body.

Ooh, I'm looking forward to this! Count me in as a regular medic...as long as you're sincere about skill not being a requirement.

Sorry for asking a silly question, but how will we know when TACGIR is in operation?
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I would add a couple of notes: When it comes to matters of TACGIR, those leaders trump whatever I might say.

Secondly, thank you to those who have taken this on. In case anyone needs reminding, we did decide back during the first outfit meeting that tactical play should be available every night of the week, not just on Thursday when it is mandated for everyone. I'm hoping that TACGIR will finally make this a reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Great, concise info and it seems like you have a good vision for how to do this. I hope one day I have the discipline to commit to one of these and be a useful team member but I'm pretty hopeless to be honest. I start with good intentions but I get distracted and miss orders or just talk bollocks in mumble while flipping a scythe at the warpgate. Until I grow up a little I think I'll stick to the main groups where I can get away with being as intimidating in combat as this guy;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/J4883R/123-1.gif
    Don't sell yourself short. I've played with you on numerous occasions, and you'd do great. Also, TACGIR is not Serious Business Giraffes. It's still Giraffes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyndylan View Post
    Ooh, I'm looking forward to this! Count me in as a regular medic...as long as you're sincere about skill not being a requirement.

Sorry for asking a silly question, but how will we know when TACGIR is in operation?
    Welcome on the team! And that is not a silly question at all. I've been considering it myself. When logging on, you'll probably see some people in the TACGIR channels in Mumble, and maybe a squad or two with TACGIR in their names. Otherwise, we'll probably suggest that we start up a TACGIR squad and everyone who wants to join simply does.

I'm thinking we might start scheduling some more planned events too, like actual practice nights, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I'm hoping that TACGIR will finally make this a reality.
    Me too. We shall give it our best shot.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I'm thinking we might start scheduling some more planned events too, like actual practice nights, maybe?
    Thank you Esoteric. I'll keep a beady eye on Mumble from now on to see if giraffes are being tactical. I'd also be up for some training if it's on a day I can do.
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyndylan View Post

It will be announced in outfit chat. If you just log on and want to check, check if there is a squad up. Skill is not a requirement - we expect people to learn from eachother. No need for leet 360 noscopes if you are a daring medic that gets that important revive. It is more about drive, aggression and specifically teamplay then being great at the game.

On Esoterics post I would just like to add one thing - for the love of Vanu, this does not mean you have to be quiet. This is a regular problem with tactical play. Talking to one another and constantly communicating - wether it is directly related to the situation or not - is absolutely necessary. It is through discussing Hodor's cock and such things we bond and improve teamplay, but if something happens and we need to respond on it, story time takes a pause.
    Find me on the Steams

This sounds awesome, I'd be totally up for joining in.

Network Hub
    Bravo, huge thanks to all who've taken the initiative in formalising this. I am likely to be with you most of the time when possible, bringing dumbish trainee agression and too widely scatterbombed certs across all classes to the table

Oooo, this looks very exciting. Count me in, when I'm around. I'm hopeless with anything that spits bullets (I believe the correct terminology is "fire" bullets, however I'm not too sure on that), but will gladly risk life and limb to get someone up and going again - i.e. medic or, if required, engineer.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I think that the idea of TACGIR fits very nicely alongside regular RPS play; ultimately it's about having fun and enjoying gaming with other people. People want different things from the game, and having the Mumble chat set up to provide those options to people is great. I'm looking forward to hoping in sometime and seeing how things go.

We still have those people that can just jump in and get into squads and go have fun and watch DarkWeeble drive a whole bus of RPS guys over a cliff; and we have the TACGIR who can be a bit more tactical about it all (and maybe drive a bus over a cliff - but on purpose).
    Last edited by sketchseven; 16-04-2013 at 03:33 AM. Reason: I kid, I kid, DW :)

+10 internetz for this initiative! I'm certainly gonna join most of the time and I'd be especially interested in getting an air group going. Do we have anyone crazy enough to try and get an air squad up and running? Anyone can join regardless of certs or flying skills.
    Last edited by Frengler; 16-04-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    "Time is a companion, travelling with us on the journey of life, to remind us to cherish each moment as it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."

hodor hodor hodor! Some nights I'll totally be down with this, some nights I'll grab my belaclava and join the Herd. Options are always nice!
    Planetside2: Noggachomp

Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    We still have those people that can just jump in and get into squads and go have fun and watch DarkWeeble drive a whole bus of RPS guys over a cliff; and we have the TACGIR who can be a bit more tactical about it all (and maybe drive a bus over a cliff - but on purpose).
    You obviously haven't taken the scenic route in Amerish with a Sunderer driven by me. Not for the faint of heart! Departure urgent - arrival not guaranteed.