Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar

[VS] Peer Review - Platoon Lead Sketchseven

Any and all feedback on how you felt the platoon leading went this afternoon/evening - this is for the three (nearly four) squads that were fighting on Amerish while I was leading.

How did I do? What things do you think went well, what could've gone better?

And more importantly - did you have fun?

Lastly a quick thank you to CMaster for giving me advice on the strategic level; and to the guys who were acting as SLs and/or ROs, who did an awesome job.
    Last edited by sketchseven; 16-04-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: moar wurdz

Obscure Node
    That was my second proper foray into planetside, and while I've only played with the Giraffes twice, I had a blast. I can't comment strategically as I'm fresh out of the drop pod, but those continuous three-ways were great fun. Thanks for leading!

Network Hub
    Yeah, last night was good. We were losing and I can't really think of what could have done to counter this, without more people on our side and people in the NC attacking the TR too.

Plus sides:
    - You gave each squads clear objectives regulary.
    - You didn't sound overwhelmed by events., which always help the rest of the platoon to not feel overwhelmed.

Down sides:
    - I had problems hearing you apart from the others. It's partly because I didn't kno your voice before, but maybe you could turn on a bit your mic when you're platoon leading. Mumble doesn't seem to allow this on my side, but I may be wrong. You could also try to articulate more, when sounds are coming from everywhere every bits help to understand.
    - You asked Bravo to provide armor twice in two different situations, Ressource-wise and timer-wise, it seemed that we weren't able to comply. But it also should have been my work to have this in mind and tell you sooner that we couldn't act as intended.

On my side, I should have had ps2maps.com opened on my second monitor, it really helps to read the map while you are giving orders. I am not happy with my RO performance yesterday.
    Last edited by Silgidorn; 16-04-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Charlie here.

- Be louder. You're hard to hear over squad chatter. Speaking up accomplishes 2 things: People know it's an order and people know it's important.
    - Tactics wise. You asked Charlie to push out to the crossroads to the west of Crux Mining. That's 1 squad vs a force 5 times bigger with armor support without cover. That wasn't going to work. On the other hand, whatever we did there we were going to lose that continent anyway, so I can hardly blame you for it.

I took over as RO for Charlie after Boris left and then SL for a short time.

- I'd agree that you could perhaps increase your mic volume, but I had to turn Mumble up and the game down to hear anyone last night.
    - There were a couple of times last night when we arrived at un-manned points too late and it was already swarming with TR. I don't think that this was anyone's fault in particular, but we do need to be quicker at recalling and moving out.
    - Orders were given clearly which was good, it would have been nice to get more intel passed down too but I appreciate you had a lot to contend with as it was.

Overall though you did a great job of PLing, especially for a first go and against such a massive for or TR.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Obviously, you got me in your ear all night anyway but:

You were always asking for armour or galaxies. With the armour especially, only get squads to do armour if there is a reason. Also, if the whole platoon is going armour, make one squad AA, otherwise we'll lose it all to mossies.
    Excessive pulling armour while carrying out a desperate defense was foolish as well, in that we all ran out of resources to the point where we couldn't get any sundies in Bravo at all. Equally, no need for galaxies to go to Jagged Lance for example.

Know when being quick is important. You don't always have to hurry the platoon - but when the plan is a fast recall to warpgate, then quickly get to an underdefended base, then do it quickly. Set a time limit, then stick to it. Those who are late, can catch up - the important thing is to get a foothold. There were several times when entire squads were ready at wg, just hanging around waiting, when we needed to be on the move.

Ask for sitreps more. You asked a good amount, but still more is better - especially with some radio officers who weren't the most responsive.

What was good - you kept up to date with situations pretty well.

There was some really effective reinforcing of points that were on the wobble, a very good sense of when to consolidate and when to spread out (not that there weren't some missteps, but you did a better job of this than I would have done I think).

Those that couldn't hear Sketch very well last night: He isn't very quiet (although he could sound more "authoratative" when giving orders). You (and everyone else) need to turn their game volume down. This isn't unusual - I run voicecomms pretty much 100% of the time when gaming, and this means turning all game master volumes down to 30-50%, often further for music volumes. Everyone playing PS2 with RPS should have their game volume adjusted down, so that orders and tactial info come through loud and clear.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    On the topic of being heard:
    When running like we do nowadays, with PL+ROs in one channel, SLs in their respective squad channels, we really need to set PL and all ROs as priority speakers in Mumble. For those who don't know what that means, priority speakers will muffle any non-prio speakers talking in the channel that they are transmitting to. The effect is that when PL talks to the ROs, the ROs will basically only hear what the PL is saying, the squad chatter becomes just a muffled background noise. This does not affect the squad chatter, because the PL is normally not transmitting to the squad channels. When PL or ROs do transmit to squad channels, every other conversation will be lost, so that needs to be done with care. The ROs do hear the squad chatter, though, so they can pick an appropriate time to relay what was said on the command channel. This is why using Radio Operators works so extremely well.

Priority speaker can be set by anyone with admin privileges on Mumble, currently me, Cooper and MrEclectic. One of us is likely to be online at any time, but we should try to get one or two other trustworthy admins probably, to make sure there is always one online. Prio speaker status is reset when you disconnect from the Mumble server.

Also, there's a setting in Mumble where you can let it lower the volume of any other applications while someone is talking, and set the level to which other apps are muted. This has been an indispensible tool for me.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Know when being quick is important. You don't always have to hurry the platoon - but when the plan is a fast recall to warpgate, then quickly get to an underdefended base, then do it quickly. Set a time limit, then stick to it. Those who are late, can catch up - the important thing is to get a foothold. There were several times when entire squads were ready at wg, just hanging around waiting, when we needed to be on the move.
    To add on this, there was one time where my entire squad was in the gal save for one or two dudes who had to dick around with someone in the warpgate. People are waiting on you. In this case the entire platoon. It's rude.

I think next time I'm just going to take off without those people and perhaps kick them from the platoon. I mean, it looks like you have no intention of playing with us, so you might as well leave.

This is obviously not about CMaster, but I'm not going to name anyone. I hope the people who I'm talking about read this and change their behaviour.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Take off and let them catch up on their own. If I were late to a gal-taxi I would prefer that rather than let the squad wait for me.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Those that couldn't hear Sketch very well last night: He isn't very quiet (although he could sound more "authoratative" when giving orders). You (and everyone else) need to turn their game volume down. This isn't unusual - I run voicecomms pretty much 100% of the time when gaming, and this means turning all game master volumes down to 30-50%, often further for music volumes. Everyone playing PS2 with RPS should have their game volume adjusted down, so that orders and tactial info come through loud and clear.
    my game master sound was at 10% so I guess it wasn't the game sound that was too loud. Anyway I'm going to set what esoteric said on mumble. The main problem was really sketch voice not coming over squad talk and this was due to him not set as priority ( as I wasn't in bravo squad and lynche couldn't hear me well.

Is there a way to have regular chatter come out of one channel and whispers come out of another? I think that would be quite useful as I find it helpful to hear the squad channel (especially as RO) while listening to whispers.

Thanks for the feedback guys - I'm glad people at least weren't too put off by the fact that we didn't seem to be able to push out at all.

- Excessively pulling armour; point taken. I know that CMaster mentioned it on the night as well. The intention was to give us a nice weighty armoured fist to try and punch through what was in front of us, but it was a mistake when we were that close to getting warpgated.

- Settings in Mumble; I need to have a play with these. One problem was that I was still in Alpha's squad channel and was getting all of their chatter as well, which was a mistake on my part. I should've moved out of the channel entirely. As far as hearing people goes I don't think I had a problem with that, other than ROs getting drowned out by squad chat. I'll work on my 'authoritative' tone!

From my point of view, I need more time with this game - I've only been playing Planetside for about a week (maybe a week and a half now) and my knowledge of the different maps and continents is clearly lacking. More time to learn what the best ways to attack the various areas of the map are, learn the layouts better (so as to avoid calling out three different objectives on a location that only has one central cap point, which happened), learn the names, when it's ok to rely on infantry assault, when it's better to grab armour, when we need gals etc.

All things that will come with time I guess.

I was also deliberately spending most of my time looking at the map; in many ways treating it like an RTS. I also didn't want people to be stuck in fights where they were just getting killed over and over, and was worried about leaving people behind. I'll remember to be a bit less 'oh hurry up will you?' and more 'right we're leaving' in future.

Trying to balance "it is only a game and people want to have fun" against everything else. Thanks again for the feedback and if anyone has any more, always glad to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by izalithe View Post
    That was my second proper foray into planetside, and while I've only played with the Giraffes twice, I had a blast. I can't comment strategically as I'm fresh out of the drop pod, but those continuous three-ways were great fun. Thanks for leading!
    Well I have to say you better keep coming back, you must have revived me about a thousand times last night haha!!! - Regards, PurpleSnow

Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    Take off and let them catch up on their own. If I were late to a gal-taxi I would prefer that rather than let the squad wait for me.
    I know I'm not always perfect (either in the middle of a good fight or afk or something), but this is a general problem I've seen a lot of nights. We shouldn't need nearly as long as we do to recall and pull a galaxy. Ideally by the time the galaxy hits the ground the squad should be out front ready to get in.

I think we need to start enforcing strict timers. If you're late to the sky-bus then you'll just need to take a flash or wait for the squad to land and squad deploy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys - I'm glad people at least weren't too put off by the fact that we didn't seem to be able to push out at all.
    The odds were way against us, and we did make them work hard for it. So hats off there.

From my point of view, I need more time with this game - I've only been playing Planetside for about a week (maybe a week and a half now) and my knowledge of the different maps and continents is clearly lacking.
    This is the main reason why I haven't stepped up as a giraffe lead yet, I've been playing sporadically since launch, and it seems every time I get close to really knowing the map I stop for a bit and they re-arrange everything again. I still run to a lot of closed off doors/windows So again, a salute for being brave enough step up and do it anyway, and I bet next time it will go even better.
    Planetside2: Noggachomp

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    How did you feel the mentoring went Sketch?
    Was it actually helpful?

I felt I wasn't really offering enough - but partly that's because you were doing a very good job with very limited options. Many of the things I've felt people need poking to do (ask for sit reps, move squads to re-enforce quickly) you did already!
    How I'd ideally like to do this sort of thing is to be demonstrate how I do things first, then the mentee picks it up with me observing.

Strategically I did feel that there was little that could be done other than keep trying to punch out from the warp gate. So advice on the strategic side was helpful, in that it confirmed I wasn't missing something obvious.

Tactically I screwed up a few times calling for people to get on points that didn't exist when trying to seize ground (and calling for armour/air too much when it wasn't necessary etc.). There were times when we could've just pulled a sundy per squad and rolled out that way, with HA to take on tanks, rather than pulling our own armour and just supply blocking ourselves.

Please tell me if I'm wrong but I think if you take on PL you're trying to balance everyone having fun vs low-hanging fruit (there's a lot of empty territory over this way, we could make a big land grab, but that involves a lot of driving to a point, standing on a point, driving to a point rather than pew pew lasers).

I'm generally not shy about speaking up in general Mumble chat when we're figuring out where to go next so I guess that helps, and I like to keep an eye on the map - but I don't know the names of places, especially when they're being abbreviated for speed's sake. My personal play style is not so much "KILL ALL THE THINGS!" and more "happy to sit here helping this cap while the fight is elsewhere, because ultimately we need the territory".

So to actually answer the question, yes the mentoring was helpful because it confirmed what I knew from the strategic point of view (we're in trouble and our options are severely limited) and also helped with stuff like "we maybe pulled out a little earlier from one place or another". It's hard to judge with fights if people want to stay in, because big fights are fun, or do we just cut our losses and go somewhere else where we could make more of a difference (which I guess is maybe thinking that goes on at a level above platoon - we're holding here to tie up TR or NC that are getting pulled into this fight, while another outfit is pushing out at a different location).

I don't know. I can see why PS2 has such a strong following, the metagame and the FPS work rather well beside each other.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I can see why PS2 has such a strong following, the metagame and the FPS work rather well beside each other.
    Aye, and yet, the metagame is actually rather weak, compared to what it might become! There's an especially noticeable lack of command tools, for instance. Platoon/squad waypoints, Leader/orders chat, request reinforcements, a few different voice channels, coloured smoke. There's even an in-game squad leaders voice channel which I have never tried. Most of those are decent tools, and fill a purpose, but we lack a couple of things that would have been terribly useful. Ability for the PL to draw on the map for SLs or anyone to see, ability to define targets for each squad as a PL (possibly set squad waypoints), just a simple thing like showing people's outfit tags in chat, so you know who's with who.

All of these things will probably come in time, along with some changes that make sure that there is actually something to fight for besides the prestige of grabbing territory from the others. Then we'll see a truly strong following.

I'm really impressed by how much the game has improved, technically and balance-wise, since release. I think the game is in a really good spot right now.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

As a side note, will be interesting to see how the modifications to the map and structure change that.

Second time at Platoon Lead with some room to move this time around; any updated feedback on this evening?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I think you did very well. You ask for sitreps a lot and keep track of things. You don't get confused. That's pretty great and you've got the most stressful part of platoon leading down.

What could improve is more cohesion, meaning keeping all the squads together so were a larger fighting force, but that is also tricky in a continent lock situation (that was when I was on).
    Find me on the Steams