Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Bombing

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar

Boston Bombing

Have you guys seen this pretty bad i have to say thoughts definitly go to those affected.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/a...on-finish-line

Interesting the government is trying to not use the T word when maybe if this happened a few years ago they might have over used it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The always brilliant Film Crit Hulk mentioned that the last mile of the marathon was dedicated to the victims of the Newtown massacre. I hadn't seen that in any of the news stories I read, and that made me feel really sick to my stomach.

This is news to me. Boston got bombed for real?
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Wow I didn't know that and it makes it even worse, that article nearly made me cry at the horror of it to be honest. Really bad.

This is news to me. Boston got bombed for real?

Yeah i heard some mutterings on twitter and its on the Guardian today and probably the news channels so it must be real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Wow I didn't know that and it makes it even worse, that article nearly made me cry at the horror of it to be honest. Really bad.
    Really? I mean it's bad and all but it hasn't caused an emotional reaction.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I've just a question to ask. I'm not trying to make light or downplay the events in Boston, but it's been annoying me today.

How many of you reading about the bombs that went off in Boston also heard about the bombs that went off in Baghdad yesterday? Which killed and injured more people.

The world is a fucked up place, but why does it only matter when it affects white people?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I've just a question to ask. I'm not trying to make light or downplay the events in Boston, but it's been annoying me today.

How many of you reading about the bombs that went off in Boston also heard about the bombs that went off in Baghdad yesterday? Which killed and injured more people.

The world is a fucked up place, but why does it only matter when it affects white people?
    Not me, but then in my defence I don't watch the news (that's a defence?). Too depressing.

The short answer is that bombs go off in Baghdad on almost a monthly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    The short answer is that bombs go off in Baghdad on almost a monthly basis.
    Which makes it sadder or more of an outrage no?

But less newsworthy.

Yeah i heard some mutterings on twitter and its on the Guardian today and probably the news channels so it must be real. [/COLOR]
    i havent been keeping up with the news, sorry

it just reminds me of this particular thing and I thought some asshole wanted to make it happen. Doubt it has any connection, though
    Art blog here.

So how about instead of everyone pro-claiming Boston to be such a tragic and terrible event and instead of Sky News spending the next week running round the clock coverage on it, we treat the Boston bombs the same way we would treat a bomb in Baghdag, all be it with a pince of "it's usual for a bomb to go off in Boston".

Just because bombs go off a lot in Baghdad doesn't mean it's any less tragic that 30 people died from it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    really? It had been happening once a month. And just three people dead? hardly a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    So how about instead of everyone pro-claiming Boston to be such a tragic and terrible event and instead of Sky News spending the next week running round the clock coverage on it, we treat the Boston bombs the same way we would treat a bomb in Baghdag, all be it with a pince of "it's usual for a bomb to go off in Boston".

Just because bombs go off a lot in Baghdad doesn't mean it's any less tragic that 30 people died from it.
    I know the western media treating this whole affair as something huge while not giving a fuck about monthly Badghdad bombings is appaling but are you trying to suggest that we shouldn't care about it either, considering those newsmen don't care about Baghdad?
    Last edited by Voon; 16-04-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Art blog here.

In a way yes and no.

No, we should care about both
    or
    Yes, we shouldn't care about either.

My annoyance is more aimed at the media and people so utterly wrapped away in their own little world that they think something like a bomb going off somewhere is something we haven't heard of since the dark ages.

*EDIT*

Like zephro says, either care about both or neither.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 16-04-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Steam ID

It's not necessarily about the reporting. But the public reactions of grief are weird to me, personally, as people are genuinely upset on a human level but not about the human deaths in Iraq... It seems oddly disconnected.

Either get upset about both or neither.

As for reporting the Boston bombings probably are a bigger "story" as it's a rarer event. But that's separating the "grief" stuff from the reporting stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Meanwhile an American drone strike killed five in Pakistan, bringing the total to 58 this year and 4,700 overall, of which about 170 are children.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Meanwhile an American drone strike killed five in Pakistan, bringing the total to 58 this year and 4,700 overall, of which about 170 are children.
    yeah... wtf is that all about. Afghanistan i could understand. Puppet government and all that. Pakistan is a frigging independent country with fairly strong military. Not strong enough to wage any real war which is not with their neighbor but still strong enough to take drones out of the sky with ease.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    yeah... wtf is that all about. Afghanistan i could understand. Puppet government and all that. Pakistan is a frigging independent country with fairly strong military. Not strong enough to wage any real war which is not with their neighbor but still strong enough to take drones out of the sky with ease.
    Realpolitik is not particularly diplomatic nor does it much care for human rights. Also, wasn't Afghanistan a sovereign country too? After all, their government didn't declare war on us. Some crazy son of a rich Saudi declared war on us.

As for puppet governments, we propped one up. There's a reason all the translators and drivers and government aides in Kabul are currently demanding one-way tickets to America.
    Last edited by Nalano; 16-04-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen