Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Bombing

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    yeah... wtf is that all about.
    Basically, because the Americans are also killing people that the Pakistani state wants dead. Unlike most countries in Europe, the Pakistani state isn't really in control of parts of the country. In the words of the former Pakistani prime minister, Yousuf Raza Gilani: I don't care if they do it as long as they get the right people. We'll protest in the National Assembly and then ignore it.

Some recent articles on the US war in Pakistan;

1 December 2010 - Wikileaks: Pakistan privately approved drone strikes
    7 April 2013 - US drone war deal 'in return for killing Pakistani militant in CIA missile strike'
    12 April 2013 - Pakistan: Pervez Musharraf admits secret CIA drone deal with US
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    How many of you reading about the bombs that went off in Boston also heard about the bombs that went off in Baghdad yesterday? Which killed and injured more people.

The world is a fucked up place, but why does it only matter when it affects white people?
    Because people from Baghdad don't frequent this forum? And don't even mention that bullshit about racism being the cause of apathy in here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    And don't even mention that bullshit about racism being the cause of apathy in here.
    Why not? It's true. 3,000 American deaths is a tragedy. 110,000 Iraqi deaths are collateral damage. Is each American truly worth more than thirty Iraqis? Hell, at least Blacks were worth three fifths of a person.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Because people from Baghdad don't frequent this forum? And don't even mention that bullshit about racism being the cause of apathy in here.
    And you're sure of this? Since most of us omit to mention our location any number of us could be from Boston, Dublin, Baghdad or Tokyo. And why does that even matter where people are from? Should we only care about the Boston bombing because perhaps a member of this site has been there or is from there or lives there?

And where did I mention racism? I'm not calling anyone racist just because they're uninformed that there was a bombing in Iraq, the media didn't cover it very well. However, I'll wager enough people will think 3 white people dying is worse than a bomb in Baghdad because "oh, well Baghdad is just like that".

But it's hypocritical that we have an absolute outpouring on social media and news media about a bomb that went off and killed three people, but a similar event that took so many more lives gets as much attention as a story about a child being reunited with their lost dog in Hampshire.

People are going to act for weeks like this is the worst thing to happen in forever and in all those weeks hundreds of people will die to bomb attacks all over the world. And none of those stories will be deemed as important or news worthy.

In terms of actual damage a bomb (or bombs) can do, the events in Boston are amazingly tame and very few people actually died or were hurt as a result compared to other events, both past and present.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    And you're sure of this? Since most of us omit to mention our location any number of us could be from Boston, Dublin, Baghdad or Tokyo.
    Nothing's stopping them from making a post. I live in a country that faces a terrorist attack every other month, and the most acknowledgment we usually get is a twenty minute bit on the BBC. The media shows what the people want to see. People don't care as much about massacres going on in some far off country than they do about firecrackers going off in their neighborhood. And that's that.

Should people care about what goes in Iraq? Of course. But they aren't obligated to do so, and it would be foolhardy to expect them to. So, yes, I do get where you're coming from, but you can't get into a thread about people dying and ask them to give a shit about someplace else too. That's like going to funeral and yelling, "Your husband is dead? Fuck you, my kids are dead too, why don't you cry for them?"

And where did I mention racism?
    What's this then:
    "but why does it only matter when it affects white people?"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Nothing's stopping them from making a post.
    That doesn't mean they're not here? Also nobody in this thread has actually said they've been affected by it other than reading it online. In fact most people in this thread seem to have zero attachment to the events other than reading it online.

People don't care as much about massacres going on in some far off country than they do about firecrackers going off in their neighborhood. And that's that.
    Funny because I believe most of us in this thread and on this forum are either in England or some other part of Europe. The BBC is british and sky news is also british (though owned by an american). So why are the British and European media outlets making such a big fuss about something in some far off country? Baghdad is less far off than Boston to pretty much all of Europe except maybe some parts of Ireland and Iceland.

Should people care about what goes in Iraq? Of course. But they aren't obligated to do so, and it would be foolhardy to expect them to. So, yes, I do get where you're coming from, but you can't get into a thread about people dying and ask them to give a shit about someplace else too. That's like going to funeral and yelling, "Your husband is dead? Fuck you, my kids are dead too, why don't you cry for them?"
    Again nobody has actually said that other than reading the news, they've been affected by the incident.

What's this then:
    "but why does it only matter when it affects white people?"

Not racism but a commentary on how whenever people in the middle east, Mexico, Columbia, Brazil or Africa have issues like this Joe every man reads over it with a very "oh well that's the nature of these things" frame of mind. And they do. But when it happens in primarily white countries, suddenly everyone is on twitter proclaiming how horrific it is. The bombing of Boston is globally getting special treatment as being some huge event. While I feel sorry for anyone who was actually effected by it, I don't see why those of who weren't should act like it's different than any other bombing in history.

Personally, I look at the event and shrug it off, such is the nature of these things and the commonality of them. I don't know if I previously mentioned it here or on another forum, but I've seen people actually say "Holy Shit...only hearing news about this Boston attack now! I thought the days of bombing were over, I can honestly say that I truly feel sick after hearing (and seeing the pictures!)"

Emphasis is mine. This is from a person who lives in a country that has had a long and bloody history with a neighbour, in which more civilians were killed through the use of bombs than any other victims combined. And which to this day still has a bomb squad that is kept on very active duty.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 16-04-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Because people in countries like Iraq have determined the fate of their OWN nation by bombing their own countrymen. Who else is to be blamed? The most thing we should do is to sit back, preparing popcorn and watch CNN to see those countries destroy themselves.

While militia movement was quite popular in the USA in 1990s, there were many bombings, too, and they probably remember no more than five (the most noticeable one I recall is one discharged Marine bombed and brought down half of a Federal Office building somewhere in inland, killing hundred Americans, protesting against the unjust Gulf War 1991 he was sent to fight in. That poor handsome guy was sentenced to death).

And I bet that foreign "evil" power is the prime suspect here. That makes it an international affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Because people in countries like Iraq have determined the fate of their OWN nation by bombing their own countrymen. Who else is to be blamed? The most thing we should do is to sit back, preparing popcorn and watch CNN to see those countries destroy themselves.
    You're such a humani-fucking-tarian.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post

And I bet that foreign "evil" power is the prime suspect here. That makes it an international affairs.
    Squirrel, you have such a simplistic worldview that it makes me doubt whether it's just bullheadedness and not indicative of the general state of affairs in China.

At least, Christopher Hitchens would agree with you, if that's any solace. Too bad he's dead.
    Last edited by Shane; 16-04-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Are you defending Timothy McVeigh, Mr. squirrel?

I was one block away from this, AMA.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    There's a bunch of reasons why the media gives so much coverage to these bombings and not regular bombings in the middle east. People are far more likely to have friends and relatives in Boston than Baghdad. People expect bombings to happen in Baghdad, but not in Boston. And sadly, many people in the UK and the US watching the news simply do not care if there's a bombing in Baghdad; this may be due to prejudice or simply distance and indifference, but it's likely true.

To the people using the Baghdad bombs to try and downplay the Boston bombs, you really need to ask yourself if it's something you thought about before all this news coverage of Boston or if you're just using it to try and win an internet argument. Because the latter isn't any better than the people who ignored it.

I'm not trying to put myself on a high horse, I'll admit I don't pay that much attention to news locally or internationally, but it's something to think about.

Iraq is a failed state for, what, more than a decade now. Bombings are sadly commonplace there. A bombing in a major American city, however, is not.
    Just because the suffering may be greater someplace else doesn't invalidate this being a tragedy as well.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    People are far more likely to have friends and relatives in Boston than Baghdad.
    Baghdad: 7.2m
    Boston: 0.6m

What people?

People expect bombings to happen in Baghdad, but not in Boston.
    People expect shootings to happen in Bed-Stuy, but not in Beorum Hill. Who cares if some Black kid gets shot?

To the people using the Baghdad bombs to try and downplay the Boston bombs, you really need to ask yourself if it's something you thought about before all this news coverage of Boston or if you're just using it to try and win an internet argument. Because the latter isn't any better than the people who ignored it.
    If you check my (copious) posting history on this and other venues, you'll see that this is something I think about quite often. As Jesus_Phish said, if you're not a hypocrite, then you either don't care about both or you care about both, and I don't see you much caring about those folks in Iraq.
    Last edited by Nalano; 16-04-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I wasn't aiming that comment at anyone in particular here or accusing you of anything, sorry if you got that impression.

As for the other part, I was trying to list reasons why UK and US media are likely to give more coverage to the Boston bombing. I was not claiming those reasons are good ones.

Minor point, but Boston doesn't have Burroughs like NY. The actual population when you count surroundings that are for all intents and purposes The City, is closer to 4M.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Minor point, but Boston doesn't have Burroughs like NY. The actual population when you count surroundings that are for all intents and purposes The City, is closer to 4M.
    Baghdad Metro Area: 9.5m
    Boston Metro Area: 4.5m

Minor point rebuttal.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Ow my points. Btw, he's not wrong. People consuming English language news MOST LIKELY know more Bostonians than Baghdad-... ishers?

Btw, anyone else's avatars just not loading today?
    Last edited by Smashbox; 16-04-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Baghdaddy-o's
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Ow my points. Btw, he's not wrong. People consuming English language news MOST LIKELY know more Bostonians than Baghdad-... ishers?
    Goalpost moving, especially when compared with "People expect bombings to happen in Baghdad, but not in Boston."

And I find it hard to believe US and UK audiences shouldn't care what happens in Baghdad, since the US and UK are responsible for what's happening in Baghdad.

I wasn't aiming that comment at anyone in particular here or accusing you of anything, sorry if you got that impression.
    If you don't have an example for your accusations, then they're strawmen.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Not cool. Hope they catch whoever did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.