Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

I don't understand people anymore

New kickstarter mmo with subscriptions -> 250k in a couple of hours

Almost finished RPG project with editor -> 250k in a week

Both A-class developers. Why would you fund a subscription-based PvP MMO? People do like to fund ideas more than facts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    What projects are you on about?

And probably because you think you'll like the game?

*edit* I guess it's Camelot and Divinity?

Camelot used the magic insta-fund words " post-apocalyptic "
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 02-04-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Arguably, the people funding the MMO are probably more "in the spirit" of KS in that they are funding a project that wouldn't exist otherwise so that it can be developed, not just pre-ordering a game.

That said: If the Divinity KS doesn't get funded I am gonna murder something.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Without knowing anything about the two projects if you gave me a choice between the two concepts you've put down here I would have chosen the subscription-based PvP MMO.

My personal reasoning for this:
    I like competitive multiplayer games. There's not a whole lot of them (I do not view CoD or BF games as meeting my personal criteria for competitive games).
    I also take the prescription as a sign of quality. I expect the game to have regular patches and updates and servers to be steady, reliable, and online as 23/7 as possible.
    The MMO part is also quite important for two things: persistence and player interaction.

Whereas the RPG with editor? Nothing from this concept really grabs my attention.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    i don't get it either.

it seems like the further the game is from being a reality (in camelot's case it's december 2015, which really means december 2099), the more people are interested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    While a single one person may act rational, a group of persons can't act rational.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    While a single one person may act rational, a group of persons can't act rational.
    Anthropology!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    it seems like the further the game is from being a reality, the more people are interested.
    I dunno, the only times I've ever backed Kickstarter projects were when I wanted a game real bad and was worried that it wouldn't become a reality at all if the Kickstarter failed. (In one of those cases it failed, and sure enough didn't become a reality). With something that's mostly finished already, it seems just as easy to wait until they finish making it so you can read reviews and buy it when you can actually play it. :P
    Last edited by Berzee; 02-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I am so excited by the divinity game and the prospect of playing it with one of my best friend that I manage to make him support the kickstarter too (his first one). + Larian being the only belgian developer worthy of the name, I had to back it.

Now it's been a year since this KS madness started and I am still waiting for the first delivery. (I didn't try the banner Pvp mode). Broken Age, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun will probably turn out pretty good i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I dunno, the only times I've ever backed Kickstarter projects were when I wanted a game real bad and was worried that it wouldn't become a reality at all if the Kickstarter failed. (In one of those cases it failed, and sure enough didn't become a reality). With something that's mostly finished already, it seems just as easy to wait until they finish making it so you can read reviews and buy it when you can actually play it. :P
    i can understand that in some cases, most assuredly.

this seems a bit ridiculous though, and i'm hoping it fails quite miserably. kickstarting a subscription based mmo in 2013 feels like a large step backwards.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    kickstarting a subscription based mmo in 2013 feels like a large step backwards.
    I believe the Kickstarter-term you're looking for is "nostalgic" =P
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

hah. i suppose it is.

Network Hub
    Games that are literally being kickstarted seem to do better. Games looking for polish get some preorder money.

Heck, I haven't backed Divinity because I have my doubts about the writing, and it's coming out anyway, so I can wait and see.

I insta-backed Torment because I thought it wouldn't get made without me. (I was backer #51)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    PE, Wasteland, Torment... another cRPG that did not seem to have much build up. And they launched while Torment was on going.

Camelot, from one of the creators of DAoC, with some build up through blogs on MMOs and RvR/PvP MMOs, looking to bring back a MMO from the pre-WoW era and be part of the process in developing new RvR. While I have not tried GW2, WoW pvp was a let down at the start, became fun and epic then turned into point and gear grind in instanced arenas. Battlegrounds were fun in the past when it was server vs server. Guilds vs Guild groups were common and you interacted with people you ran into the game world. Now you have rated battlegrounds but it isn't the same since Blizzard refuses to merge servers and cross realm has killed lots of social aspects.

Divinity: ~$44/backer
    Camelot: ~$185/backer

I imagine lots of guilds are chipping into a big pot for the guild tiers.

It will be interesting with setting such a high pledge goal. Seems many aim for a middleground and throw on the stretch goals, almost expecting to hit them.

i can understand that in some cases, most assuredly.

this seems a bit ridiculous though, and i'm hoping it fails quite miserably. kickstarting a subscription based mmo in 2013 feels like a large step backwards.
    Honestly, from what I have read basically all of Camelot seems to be a large step backwards. It very much reminds me of the people who complain about how all new stuff sucks while looking at things through rose-tinted glasses.

Or, more specifically: The people who actually argue that Darklands or Daggerfall or even Arx had good interfaces that are better than most modern day games.

But, like I said, that is basically what KS is "supposed to be" for. Funding projects that might otherwise have difficulty going through conventional channels.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Looking at the goal, along with the limited and comparatively pricey base tier with no closely priced alternative, I get the sense that Larian doesn't actually want all the money--unless it comes from people spending more now on extras than they would at release.

In short, I think you picked a bad RPG project to compare Camelot to. Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Project Eternity and Torment all took in exceptional sums during their first few hours.

Because Camelot is from the creator of a famous MMO with arguably the best PVP out there (which is still alive) and offering a drastically different experience in the MMO industry, whereas the other is a RPG created by a relatively small Belgian studio, who's biggest success was a game which was popular with a relatively small niche. The fact that the game also had an insane difficulty spike at the beginning didn't help as well (something the devs admitted).

I backed both though, so I can sleep comfortably again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Looking at the goal, along with the limited and comparatively pricey base tier with no closely priced alternative, I get the sense that Larian doesn't actually want all the money--unless it comes from people spending more now on extras than they would at release.

In short, I think you picked a bad RPG project to compare Camelot to. Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Project Eternity and Torment all took in exceptional sums during their first few hours.
    I think the point is more that Divinity is as close to a guaranteed product as it gets (it is almost done, the devs made a game like this before, and they are an established studio with reasonable goals) whereas Camelot is very much a hazy "We wanna do something but we need lots of money" that won't come out for at least two years or so.

Wasteland and Torment are both pretty hazy projects, but people generally trust that the devs will make something good and fun (even if it might be buggy as all hell, incomplete, and barely run).

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I think the point is more that Divinity is as close to a guaranteed product as it gets (it is almost done, the devs made a game like this before, and they are an established studio with reasonable goals) whereas Camelot is very much a hazy "We wanna do something but we need lots of money" that won't come out for at least two years or so.
    I feel you. It still makes for a bad comparison if Larian set up the tier scheme to eventually steer potential backers toward pricier tiers and protect sales at release. The base price and available tiers are suggestive of a calculated, conservative campaign that's aiming to raise sufficient funds without over-funding at the cost of greater revenue down the line, which makes sense for a nearly complete project.

Obscure Node
    Mind linking the Projects.

Yes, i have seen projects getting $100k with only concept art or screenshots of default artwork from game engines. People are stupid.