Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Card games

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar

Card games

I would love to collect peoples thoughts on card games.
    With Heartstone announced and Scrolls coming soon, seems like as good a time as any to start a discussion.

I havnt played many card games (Summoner Wars boardgame is maybe the only one, if that counts) but I do find the genre to be interesting.
    Personally, though, I know I would hate the collecting part of CCGs. I have no interest in booster packs, those things speak heavily of a scam to me.

Does anyone here play or have thoughts on some of the current of up coming card games?
    Ones like:
    Elements
    Scrolls
    Might and Magic: Duel of Champions
    Kingdoms CCG
    Heartstone (This one mightnt be right, the site is down at the time of writing)
    Shadow Era

If you do have thoughts, Id love to hear about the payment models too. Having to pay money for boosters will mean I wont go near it, but it games give you in game currency to unlock, I would like to know if you find the rate acceptable. Or better yet, good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    From yesterday on reddit: Online Card Games

You have Sirlin's Fantasy Strike games, Yomi and Puzzle Strike. Yomi is a mindgames combat simulator, Puzzle Strike is a interaction heavy deckbuilding game.

I completely forgot about FaŽria, it was great when I played it

http://www.faeria.net/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Cards Against Humanity, it's free and on a commons license:
    http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/

Netrunner is also fun, technically it's a CCG but you can play out the box and the boosters are pretty optional.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Also on Netrunner, when you buy the boosters you're getting 3 of every card in that mini-expansion as opposed to a random number of cards, so you'll never need to buy more than one copy of the same expansion
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

We are talking videogames, not cardboard :/

We are? That's not clear from the first post, it mentions summoner wars...

Why would you play a card game on a computer instead of in the pub with friends? *bafflement*

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Why would you play a card game on a computer instead of in the pub with friends? *bafflement*
    So many wrong, sad things to be said about this.

Well you can play netrunner online with octgn so ha!

And Zephro, what if your friend lives in a location where he can't get to the pub? Such as say the other side of the world?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Well you can play netrunner online with octgn so ha!

And Zephro, what if your friend lives in a location where he can't get to the pub? Such as say the other side of the world?
    Play Civ or XCOM in my experience. I was being a touch flippant, clearly.

However the fun of card games is in the ergonomics of the lovely cards in your hands and being face to face with a person. IMO disclaimers apply etc.

Cards against humanity also works on Octgn, except you really don't want to play that game without alcohol and laughter.
    Last edited by Zephro; 16-04-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    .I adore card games and would be playing them online a lot more if the actual gameplay in them was better. Many such as rage of bahamut on my phone aren't even really games due to a lack of interaction or even basic choice in the games. I also dislike the crutch of randomness on cards such as hitting random targets taking the choice out of players hands that often accompanies the digital versions which is often limited or absent entirely from actual card games.

So I'm really looking forward to seeing how this new batch of games pans out and hoping for as little price gouging as possible.

As for cards, Netrunner is my poison of choice right now. Fantasic little game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    We are talking videogames, not cardboard :/
    Yeah but a lot of the best stuff is just adaptations of cardboard.

BSW has a lot of stuff: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BrettspielWelt , then there's PlayCatan.com that has The Rivals For Catan on it (one my fave card games). Thunderstone is on Facebook too I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    I think Seasons is a pretty good and unique card game. I described it here:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...nline-for-free
    The payment model is "free". I hope you don't mind.

You can also play Race for the Galaxy on that site.

We are? That's not clear from the first post, it mentions summoner wars...

Because it vastly speeds up some games ? Managing the score track in board game version of Seasons is a pain. Playing time is listed as "60 minutes". Online, average game is 27 minutes. For Dominion, improvement in efficiency is even more drastic.

Also, plenty of people are no fun to play with face to face. They won't shup up, won't say when they end their turn, talk about everything but the game.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 16-04-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    pass

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Sorry for the confusion. I did mean computer based ones. Every single one I linked is a computer based one. I only mentioned Summoner Wars as its the only thing close to this that I have played.

There's many physical card games you can play without getting suckered into buying extra boosters etc.

Any of the LCGs by Fantasy Flight contain enough to play out of the box, Netrunner, Game of Thrones, Star Wars to name some. With those you buy full expansions if you want, but you always get enough in the box to make decks and play.

Fluxx is good fun with people, but it's more of a party game to be honest. Same with Munchkin.

You can kinda play magic without paying out the nose if you keep it within friends. For example, the starter box sets all contain full decks which you can play with. I like the idea of playing one FNM a month, which is where I get a whole night of playing magic, where everyone is on equal playing field because you have to make the decks out of boosters you're given on the night. Then I'll just sell the cards or give them away. Besides nobody good at magic actually buys single boosters to build decks, you buy boosters for the fun of the surprise. If you actually want to compete you go online and buy decks from card selling websites.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Play Civ or XCOM in my experience. I was being a touch flippant, clearly.

However the fun of card games is in the ergonomics of the lovely cards in your hands and being face to face with a person. IMO disclaimers apply etc.

Cards against humanity also works on Octgn, except you really don't want to play that game without alcohol and laughter.
    Agree with playing cards physically in theory. In reality finding public table big enough for anything other than a classic 52 deck, or something like Monopoly Deal is in my experience difficult. I like a lot of the Fantasy flight Card games but they require a football pitch in terms of layout space.

You should try play a game of Fantasy Flights Talisman with all it's expansions.. You need to apply for planning permissions before you can assemble the gaming area.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. I did mean computer based ones. Every single one I linked is a computer based one. I only mentioned Summoner Wars as its the only thing close to this that I have played.
    "Seasons" I linked above can be played online.

Why would you insist on card games designed for computers, if physical card games ported to computers are better ?
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Load up Knights of the Old Republic and play you some Pazaak! =P

Or, the CCG minigame "Triple Triad" in Final Fantasy 8 is pretty good. (FF9's "Tetra Master" was fun too, but I don't think there was a PC version of that and also, somehow they forgot to put in the actual mighty prizes you should receive for building up your deck and mastering the game in that 'un).

Runespell: Overture also is basically Poker + a combat scarecrow! (not really but you get to click on Full Houses and stuff)

partial disclosure: all of these suggestions are somewhat facetious
    full disclosure: but I still got hooked on Pazaak and Triple Triad and Tetra Master =P
    Last edited by Berzee; 17-04-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.