Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Card games

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Triple Triad is something I wish was real, great game.

Tetra Master did get you prizes I think, but mostly just other cards. It wasn't as fun though because it seemed to have more of a random element in it. I loved the silly rules in Triple Triad and spreading them around.

Except random, because then it always gave me something stupid like one mega rare card like Squall and four terrible cards and ultimately I'd lose my Squall.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Hah, those two games seem to have kind of blended together in my head...I think I played Tetra Master more for some reason, despite (or maybe because of) finding it rather more simplified. In FF8 I had to spend all my spare brain-cycles trying to comprehend the Guardian Force magic system, and had no time for games. =P

Oh, just remembered, I used to play Cabals quite a bit too, online F2P card game thingum. I stopped playing it because I noticed that as I unlocked higher levels of units, some of them became progressively less clothed -- but aside from that complaint, it was pretty fun and full of interesting tactics and deck-building strategerie!
    Last edited by Berzee; 17-04-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I quite liked Duels of the planeswalkers 2012 & 2013 (Magic the gathering).

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    More confusion it seems. What i ment by computer based one were oned playable on a computer. I dont care what they are based on. I am just not going to play with actual cards for a number of reasons.

I remember Pazzak, one of the best things about that entire game. Played it every time it came up. Great stuff.

Runespell: Overture is a terrible game, im my opinion. Absolutly terrible. Not worth your time, even if it was free.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Well like I mentioned previously, you can use octgn to play a lot of "real" world games (netrunner, game of thrones, magic) online.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    This just popped up on my twitter http://eldhelm.com/

Obscure Node
    I think hearthstone will do well to start but it will ultimately move more people towards playing the original MTG because of the perfect imbalance they have going on. WoW wants the game to be perfectly balanced and that actually ruins the fun IMO.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    talk about everything but the game.

But...what...huh...no...

The only great card games I know of are unfortunately not usually on the PC but on the DS. I like the Yu-Gi-Oh games quite a lot on that system.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    The only great card games I know of are unfortunately not usually on the PC but on the DS. I like the Yu-Gi-Oh games quite a lot on that system.
    Yu-Gi-Oh is deeply flawed at its core, I'd rather play Pokemon TCG. And Snk vs Capcom both 1 and 2 are probably the second or third best console cardgames evar.

Yu-Gi-Oh is deeply flawed at its core, I'd rather play Pokemon TCG.

Again But...what...huh...no!

Pokemon is extremely based on luck. Extremely! As soon as you get a nice pokemon out you have essentially won the game. How is yu-gi-oh flawed? It has a lovely level of being able to counteract anything with either the flip monsters or traps or magic spells that it is a very tactics game. Plus there are so many cool decks you can build from it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Cryptozoic Entertainment just launched a MMO TCG Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ding-card-game

Looks confusing how it will play out, especially the PvE side and raids. How do you raid in a card game?

Wish they had an Alpha gameplay footage, maybe they will later during the kickstart.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    What is Summoner Wars like btw? Wanted to buy the master set for like a year but couldn't commit to it.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I used to play Cabals quite a bit too, online F2P card game thingum. I stopped playing it because I noticed that as I unlocked higher levels of units, some of them became progressively less clothed -- but aside from that complaint, it was pretty fun and full of interesting tactics and deck-building strategerie!
    Your description reminded me of the old Kabal ccg. I felt dissapointed.

To remain on topic, I'll say that I'm yet to find a computer card game as fun and deep as the classic, physical ccgs: Jyhad, Alien versus Predator, The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars... (the old ones from ICE and Cypher, of course).
    Last edited by makute; 09-05-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: grammar

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Has no one else heard of Spectromancer?

It has--or had, it's been awhile since I looked into it--a small but active online community, pretty decent AI, and is great in hotseat.

http://www.spectromancer.com/

If you buy it on Steam, the codes apply towards the non-drm version available from the developers (you unlock the demo).

[/COLOR]

Again But...what...huh...no!

Pokemon is extremely based on luck. Extremely! As soon as you get a nice pokemon out you have essentially won the game. How is yu-gi-oh flawed? It has a lovely level of being able to counteract anything with either the flip monsters or traps or magic spells that it is a very tactics game. Plus there are so many cool decks you can build from it.
    Speaking as someone who has played yugioh competitively off and on for the past ~4-5 years, it has a serious problem with power creep and in most formats it's ridiculously fast paced for a card game, due to the fact that it never bothered with a set rotation or mana system respectively. It also has a few decks that can completely ruin your fun if you happen to play against them (Dark World, Exodia, Final Countdown and Chain Burn) as well as only very rarely having a diverse metagame.
    If you can get past that, though, it promotes creative deckbuilding more than any other TCG I know of. To the point where there have been several times in which the best deck has been a hodgepodge of synergy the developers probably never intended to be created (Goat Control, Tele-DaD, Quickdraw Dandywarrior.)
    Still, much better than pokemon TCG, that game has 100x the power creep and balance issues.
    Last edited by Protoman; 11-05-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Ive only played the game non professionally so wondering what you mean by the power creep? Also i kind of like that its kind of more fast paced and doesnt have the i think silly mana system magic has.

Ive only played the game non professionally so wondering what you mean by the power creep? Also i kind of like that its kind of more fast paced and doesnt have the i think silly mana system magic has.
    By power creep I mean that the cards as a whole have gotten much more powerful over time. A couple years ago, a deck that's mediocre at best by todays standards would have complete domination of the metagame. That's because in order to actually make money off of the game, Konami has to create more powerful cards each set so the competitive people actually buy them instead of continuing to use the same deck they always have. MTG gets around that by using set rotation so that you're forced to build a new deck every so often.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    What is Summoner Wars like btw? Wanted to buy the master set for like a year but couldn't commit to it.
    If you have an iDevice you can try it for free on there, or pick up one of the two-faction starter sets for a lot less than the Master box.