Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

So Is 2013 Gonna Be a Break from Hardware Upgrade?

All thanks to miserable failure of Windows 8. People here refer to this as Microsonic Sequence.

Nvidia doesn't seem to intend to introduce anything substantially new after Titan which is not target mainstream users. AMD, as according to a RPS report sometime in March (or late Feb? anyway), is gonna push back HD8000 series to late this year or even mid 2014, and subsequently HD9000 series is further pushed back to 2015. All the HD8XXX models you see in the marketcurrently are actually rebranded HD7XXX.

Is this a good break for you? It definitely is for me. Financially, needless to say. But most importantly, people who are serious about their PCs should understand that it is not easy to "raise" a PC, looking for, installing and getting through all the bugs (one misstep and you gonna need to reinstall everything) for all pieces of software.

Well, I was intending to undertake a new build when Haswell came out. I feel like I could use a bit more performance in big photoshop files with lots of layers and when handling big lightroom catalogues - though the latter could be more to do with the fact that I haven't got room for the files on my SSD, so they're on a conventional HDD. The problem is, as you say, graphics. Unless Titan becomes affordable, I don't see any point in upgrading what I already have - SLi 560Tis. So, I'm debating whether to put the whole thing off til next year, or to do it bit by bit - new core PC this year (CPU, mobo, bigger SSD) and then graphics next year.
    Last edited by RandomTangent; 16-04-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    All thanks to miserable failure of Windows 8. People here refer to this as Microsonic Sequence.

Nvidia doesn't seem to intend to introduce anything substantially new after Titan which is not target mainstream users. AMD, as according to a RPS report sometime in March (or late Feb? anyway), is gonna push back HD8000 series to late this year or even mid 2014, and subsequently HD9000 series is further pushed back to 2015. All the HD8XXX models you see in the marketcurrently are actually rebranded HD7XXX.

Is this a good break for you? It definitely is for me. Financially, needless to say. But most importantly, people who are serious about their PCs should understand that it is not easy to "raise" a PC, looking for, installing and getting through all the bugs (one misstep and you gonna need to reinstall everything) for all pieces of software.
    I've been on a multi-year break from hardware upgrades. I'll probably wait until the new consoles have been out for a year to upgrade.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I will probably build a new rig in about 2 years or so. We just had a baby, so money's tighter, and I moved my PC to the living room, which sucks balls for anything except games played with a gamepad. One we get settled in a new house and I get a proper desk back, I'll treat myself to a new build. It's long overdue. I don't even have an i7 yet.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

This whole console cycle has been a break for me, as I'm still running an overclocked E8400 and 460 GTX.

I did just buy a new monitor, so maybe that counts? But that's just me finally upgrading from 1680x1050 to 1080p.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I had a hardware break for about 4 years discounting a gpu that burned out, am I doing it wrong?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I had a hardware break for about 4 years discounting a gpu that burned out, am I doing it wrong?
    Ask your wallet. :)

I appreciate a longer wait for the next hardware generation.

I would expect more mature products and a significant performance boost due to driver optimizations. I know that hardware and driver development are never quite finished, but annual releases are just ridiculously fast, imho. It just burns up talented people.
    Declining hardware and climbing PC games sales also suggest, that there is really no need to get new hardware that fast.

Activated Node
    My upgrades were in 2007 and 2012. And last years upgrade was basically following the budget-route in the Hard Choices articles of RPS, ie. just shy of 300. Everything I want to play, works just fine.

Based on my experiences, I'll upgrade in 2015 or thereabout. I think a 3-year period would suit most gamers. Makes the most economic sense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    I had been perpetually low on funds for past three years. Uni finished tough and the moment i sort some legal issues I am buying brand new computer. this june/july.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I tend to have more than one game open at a time. Getting a quad core from a E8500 was a huge boost. Sure it probably plays games fine, if you are playing that game with nothing else open, but its noticeably slower than my i7 based on what I do. Plus I wanted the ability to stream and never have had a spare 2nd PC.

mid 2008 - E8500, HD 4870,
    early 2012 - i7-2600k, HD 7950, SSD 128GB
    2015/2016 - ???

If my current setup can hold out longer, I would not mind upgrading to a 3 monitor setup. Currently on a 24" and some spare non wide 17" I use for browsing. Or maybe a bigger SSD. The longer it can last the better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Bought my last gaming PC in Novemebr 2007, it wasn't bleeding Edge but very competent for the time, and it only started to show it's age last November, so got five years out of her. Replaced her with a machine even closer to the bleeding edge in comparison to the one I bought in 2007 for exactly the same amount and have no reason to assume she won't last as long, if not longer.

Banned
    Personally holding off on any upgrading until the new consoles have been fully announced and showcased. I don't see the point in forking out at this point in time.

As Helio and others mentioned, I've been on a break for ages. Considering my monitor is only a plebeian 21", I've been able to run every game I've wanted to play (which is most of them) on settings that make them pretty without any trouble.

I don't even know what my CPU or GPU are called anymore. The last game that didn't run smoothly with all settings set to max was The Witcher 2. I believe it would be foolish to buy any new hardware before the exact specs for the next gen consoles are out.
    However, I can recommend everyone to grab a SSD.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Network Hub
    I've had my current rig for 5 years (haven't changed a thing about it), and it still runs everything I want to just fine once I play with the settings a bit (and that includes newer games like Dishonoured). Can't see myself upgrading until the new generation of consoles it out and settled in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mme View Post
    My upgrades were in 2007 and 2012. And last years upgrade was basically following the budget-route in the Hard Choices articles of RPS, ie. just shy of €300. Everything I want to play, works just fine.

Based on my experiences, I'll upgrade in 2015 or thereabout. I think a 3-year period would suit most gamers. Makes the most economic sense.
    CEOs everywhere are crying over their gold bowls of Cheerios at the prospects of a market like this. Good on ya! :D

I've just upgraded so my rig will last me another 3-4 years or so :)

But now I can spend all my hard earned money on all the new consoles such as the OUYA and new Xbox.
    One can never take a break from hardware.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I upgraded about 2 years ago now and it'll be at least another 3 or 4 until I do so again.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    In terms of PC hardware, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to upgrade... But if the Rift is any good for the sims I use and doesn't make me throw up everywhere (and I decide don't mind that I can't actually see my racing wheel/HOTAS) I'm probably going to do away with my Samsungs and swap them for a Rift and a 24-27" high resolution monitor instead. On the other hand, if the Rift SUCKS I'll go the other way and upgrade my monitors to 1080p ones and that'll probably require another graphics card. Sigh.

If not, though, I'm hoping to skip a couple of generations because I reckon my PC will play next-gen console ports just fine. As long as I can have Arma III, Project CARS and DCS World (and any upcoming similar sims) all running well while looking pretty I'll probably be alright.