Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Silence

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

The Silence

This is an article discussing media blackouts, no specific examples please because closed threads upset me. RPS has written on the matter, I recommend you read it, it's insightful.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/the-silence/
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    This seems to be about the sudden desire for game sites to be screamsheets for scandalmongering nonsense lest their journalistic integrity fall into question. Which is more irony than the centre of the earth. (sorry, can't be helped. And yeah, I registered thanks to spammy hilarity). Not covering that is not a media blackout because it's not an issue except for maybe a culture piece retrospective in like five years.

But anyway, at the risk of excluding the middle, the alternative to silence is usually noise these days. Silence is better.

I don't especially disagree, but if you read the first article (at the bottom) RPS talks about the power of the silence. I just didn't realise that was a 'positive review' of it as a method.

I'm not sure what you expect to happen. Either it would be condemning a former employer because of angry internet people or they state that, indeed, nothing of note has happened. The former would be ethically, professionally and even legally very questionable while the latter would be pointless. I believe you simply want to sate your curiosity which is understandable but it is not something you are entitled to. The privacy of others should be above internet thuggery.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    The privacy of others should be above internet thuggery.
    That would be a valid response, had the situation not developed way past the initial point, uncovering a number of issues that reside squarely in the public along the way.

I understand that it would be hard to talk about it without touching the steaming pile of crap that's already out there, but you don't get to play journalism while avoiding the sticky bits. It's the whole deal or nothing.

Edit: I'm sorry for suggesting gaming media has anything to do with journalistic integrity. That won't happen again, promise.
    Last edited by His Master's Voice; 23-08-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Oh, no my curiosity is sated. I just dislike being told to shut up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I don't especially disagree, but if you read the first article (at the bottom) RPS talks about the power of the silence. I just didn't realise that was a 'positive review' of it as a method.
    RPS write about games, not games journalism. John has written about the issue you refer to in his personal blog if you are that desperate to read an RPS opinion on it. But their position remains that the whole thing is of no interest to people who come here to read about games. Because it's not about games.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    RPS write about games, not games journalism... Because it's not about games.
    I can't see any evidence of it even being about games journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    RPS write about games, not games journalism
    So RPS has never, ever commented on industry issues not related to a specific game? Well damn, they got me fooled, them sly foxes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have not dog in this race, but I will share this video

I am just sharing this to show how some people may be feeling just now, after so many deleted thread, deleted post, all around the internet in this sad episode.
    Last edited by Tei; 23-08-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    So RPS has never, ever commented on industry issues not related to a specific game? Well damn, they got me fooled, them sly foxes.
    With reference to the Rob Florence issue some years ago:

We had previously considered the story to be one of internal wrangling amongst games journalism, and RPS is primarily about games. While we certainly do cover stories about the media, these tend to be about the representation or misrepresentation of games or gamers.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...rence-debacle/

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I have not dog in this race, but I will share this video

I am just sharing this to show how some people may be feeling just now, after so many deleted thread, deleted post, all around the internet in this sad episode.
    By posting stuff like that you're making it pretty clear that you have a stance on the matter, so why deny it? Regarding the deletions and locked threads: Both reddit and - as far as this forum is concerned - the RPS mods have made it clear why those actions were taken.
    Last edited by Squiz; 23-08-2014 at 05:32 PM.

To be clear, my stance is "Don't delete my non inflammatory posts or lock threads."

I realise I'm being unrealistic, its heavy lifting to pick through hundreds of posts and consider them on various angles of sarcasm or intent; and then to decide which was the required intent and pass judgement. Indeed, my main thought was the TLDR incase I lose people to my paragraphs.

TLDR
    Next time someone employs The Silence™ maybe RPS could be less judgemental, after all, its pretty effective.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    By posting stuff like that you're making it pretty clear that you have a stance on the matter, so why deny it?
    This is a mountain of shit. You ask why I would want to distant myself from it? the smell, the stickyness, the most disgusting things floating on it, or growing on it, eating it.

It's perfectly fine that you feel that way, it's just inconsistent with you posting videos including strong opinions about the matter.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Is there a genuinely unbiased comprehensive description of this debacle? This whole mess appears everywhere and yet clarity eludes me. Everyone talks about the matter in a referential manner.

Curiosity got the better of my common sense when I saw an announcement and a locked thread so I clicked some links and now I just want the precious minutes of my Saturday back. It's petty drama concerning artless people. All actively interested sides are filled with rabid bottom-feeders. Forget it, don't bother your weekend with it. Do it on Monday while at work if you must.

How is it come to the state where there is such widespread interest in a complete non-story being picked up by gaming news sites anyway? Reap what you sow? Oh, never mind. I don't care.

More silence, please.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    How is it come to the state where there is such widespread interest in a complete non-story being picked up by gaming news sites anyway? Reap what you sow? Oh, never mind. I don't care.
    A invasion of new accounts spamming all sorts of threads with posts and images about whatever it is they are so concerned about. Very annoying, mostly started with accusing RPS of being part of all sorts of conspiracy's.

I can understand the shotgun approach, to be honest I would just stop new accounts from being able to post for 24hrs in the hope that the spammers would loose interest.

Note that they may not have started out as spammers but have decended into that behaviour pretty quick. I also understands Helio's frustration with this whole affair, loosing out on a good discussion that got locked for various reasons(I presume).

Also Tei can happily remain without horse in this race and still post opinionated video's. Just by posting something doesn't mean you instantly agree or align yourself with that, I often share interesting historical stuff with my friends, they dont presume in some sort of fanatical Hitler supporting Carthaginian that wishes to bring down the western Roman empire.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Is there a genuinely unbiased comprehensive description of this debacle? This whole mess appears everywhere and yet clarity eludes me. Everyone talks about the matter in a referential manner.
    That was what I was looking for too. It seems it's almost impossible to get a factual overview of the entire situation, without having to resort to plow through thousands of reddit comments or consulting questionable weblogs.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As far as I know no not really, I doubt it's really worth it either, seems to be a storm about nothing.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?