Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Locking comments; or punishing everyone for the sake of a few

I liked how S.EXE, was written and wanted to ADD that I THIEF liked how it tried to link up familiar touchstones and mimic the games structure... I was completely disinterested in the game itself, I have conditioned myself to mentally shelve narrative only games after one too many terrible point and click adventure and M.U.Ds.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What S.EXE in particular are you refering to?

I am short of context here.

This is the last one:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...the-arboretum/

About disabling comments. I am not sure RPS is ready for sex, the worst of sex is really creepy. I almost made a incredible creepy comment on the "S.EXE: Hentai Edition (NSFW)" article, but I had the sense to delete it before pressing "submit".

If you stop the worst from happening, the result is automatically above average.

According to Cara's twitter the comments will be opened today, but they leave it closed on the Friday night as there is nobody around to monitor them.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well, that's good, because I think that tackling sex/genre themes in games and then just closing comments is wrong and insulting.

It's kinda like: "hey, we have some problems and thoughts about sex in games and we want to talk about it, but you just shut up, you're too immature and too stupid to discus this topic". :x

I am referring to the latest one, sorry wasn't very clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    According to Cara's twitter the comments will be opened today, but they leave it closed on the Friday night as there is nobody around to monitor them.
    A sort of cooling off period? Okay, that's not anywhere near as bad. Yeah, I dislike the trend of Twitter replacing any other line of communication but it looks like it's taken hold because it's great for the personalities/artists instead of the corporations. I just find it too spamy for me to parse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Well, that's good, because I think that tackling sex/genre themes in games and then just closing comments is wrong and insulting.

It's kinda like: "hey, we have some problems and thoughts about sex in games and we want to talk about it, but you just shut up, you're too immature and too stupid to discus this topic". :x
    But in some cases is true. Indeed, immature and stupid happens. They probably want to give a oportunity to mature and intelligent talk, but navigating these waters is hard. They disabling comments is like having the captain say 'Drop the anchor' to give him time to think about what to do next.

In this case is just that there was nobody around to monitor the talk, just in case some disaster happens.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    If it's temporary lock then I don't mind, but they could at least put disclaimer (not just on Twitter) that moderator is on vacations or something and there's no one to delete possible immature comments.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, thats what space invader say. <.<

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    If it's temporary lock then I don't mind, but they could at least put disclaimer (not just on Twitter) that moderator is on vacations or something and there's no one to delete possible immature comments.
    Agreed. I think in previous columns it's been noted at the end of the article. I see the comments aren't open yet but here is Cara's original tweet: https://twitter.com/caraellison/stat...98752937463808

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    That was also what was meant to happen with the CAH article and never did. More problematic there as no right of reply had been offered to some quite serious allegations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I dont think this website has some sort of right to reply, or whatever that is/could be.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    I dont think this website has some sort of right to reply, or whatever that is/could be.
    No, not at all. But I thought they were trying to cultivate a mature thoughtful community.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    It's a base-level journalistic standard, where if you post something derogatory about someone / a company, you offer them the chance to state their side of the story, preferably in the same article. Comments are a very easy way to do this if you want to contact every single person you talk about (although Eurogamer tend to do it the old fashioned way with their news stories).

It's something printed magazines and newspapers in the UK have to abide by (at least for the last few months that the Press Complaints Commission exists) so as a concept it's something the writers here would be aware of.

Ehhhh. No.

They have email addresses listed if it's that important.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    It's a base-level journalistic standard, where if you post something derogatory about someone / a company, you offer them the chance to state their side of the story, preferably in the same article. Comments are a very easy way to do this if you want to contact every single person you talk about (although Eurogamer tend to do it the old fashioned way with their news stories).

It's something printed magazines and newspapers in the UK have to abide by (at least for the last few months that the Press Complaints Commission exists) so as a concept it's something the writers here would be aware of.
    And, correct me if I am wrong, but those printed magazines and newspapers ALSO have the right to not print everything that Joe Fucknuts says (I guess, unless the article actually WAS about Joe Fucknuts).

I am sure that if the company/anyone in particular being called out sent a comment, it would be posted as a comment. But there is no obligation to list EVERYTHING that is ever submitted.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm not a big fan of pre-emptively locking an entire series of articles. Especially a series of articles about games.

If there is nobody available to moderate, maybe they should publish it at a time where there is someone available. Though I guess, due to the NSFW topic, it's basically limited to Friday Night -> Sunday.

I understand pre-emptively locking an editorial / opinion piece on game politics, as they have sometimes done in the past. In that situation the likely response was clear and there was no chance of anything positive coming out of a discussion. But the S.EXE articles have many topics to be discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    No, not at all. But I thought they were trying to cultivate a mature thoughtful community.
    thats what the forums are for, not the comments.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Ehhhh. No.

They have email addresses listed if it's that important.
    Urrr. Yes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    And, correct me if I am wrong, but those printed magazines and newspapers ALSO have the right to not print everything that Joe Fucknuts says (I guess, unless the article actually WAS about Joe Fucknuts).
    Yes, it's just right of reply to the person the article is about. You're generally meant to ask first before publishing if you actually give a shit about journalistic integrity. But comments are an easy way out.

Comments still aren't open anyway, I'm starting to think this is actual policy rather than a fuck up given it's happened twice now. Say comments will be opened later to stop people complaining, then never actually open them, by which point everyone has stopped caring.

As Bill says, they clearly have a content plan now (stuff goes up on the hour, throughout the day), scheduling potentially controversial stuff not right before the weekend when no-one can moderate it shouldn't be too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Urrr. Yes.
    You've just made that up. Nobody uses comments for that purpose at all. They're there not to give people a right to reply but to foster a community and get people returning to a site. Nobody uses the comments section as a way out of asking people things. That would be out and out stupid.

I can't believe you're even trying to tie a comments section into any sort of journalistic code of ethics. Naw man, naw. They're just there for you to post shit in at the bottom, nowt else.
    Last edited by RobF; 05-08-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times