Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    If it is bothering you so much, you could simply use AdBlock Plus...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by kolossals View Post
    If it is bothering you so much, you could simply use AdBlock Plus...
    And the sites that respect their users and take feedback, I want to support. Which is by Ads. Otherwise we would either have to start paying for it or not have it at all. I stopped going to 1up.com (before it went away) when they did some annoying ad changes. I avoid going to Pcgamer as often due to getting thrown boobs in your face on every end of article.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    So they are back. Are they sorted? The ones I saw under the Don't Starve review still seemed a little odd.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Seem just as bad as before.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    And the sites that respect their users and take feedback, I want to support. Which is by Ads. Otherwise we would either have to start paying for it or not have it at all. I stopped going to 1up.com (before it went away) when they did some annoying ad changes. I avoid going to Pcgamer as often due to getting thrown boobs in your face on every end of article.
    You can set adblock to only block certain ads or only certain sites. You could use it to not see offending ads, complain to the site, and then remove the block when/if they fix the problem.

Personally I just use adblock on everything, call me an asshole if you want, I don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    So they are back. Are they sorted? The ones I saw under the Don't Starve review still seemed a little odd.
    They're back, yes. I adBlock/disconnect* everything with Chrome (no exceptions), so just loaded up IE to check them. Nothing overtly offensive, but they still seem to be... utterly incongruous, totally random, and odd, yes. What could I buy for 1 30 years ago? Why could Smartglass make me millions? They're just as obnoxious and out of place as they were before, really. Could they not be relevant to gaming at all?

Speaking of which... relevant links and ads. Whatever happened to the top stories from EuroGamer down the bottom of main site pages? Right at the very bottom, there are still the links to GamesIndustry.biz, VG247 and Nintendo Life. EuroGamer used to be there as well, on the very right, where there is now only a blank space. EuroGamer still link to RockPaperShotgun on the bottoms of their pages. I'd rather see links to somewhere relevant like EG than sh*tty pseudo-tech stories and Crack'd esque lists of dubious provenance and reliability.

*Why, exactly, does my browser attempt to connect to Facebook when I refresh the RPS main page? F*ck Facebook, I'm looking at RPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalfish View Post
    These ads pushed me to adblock. I'm also far too lazy to sort out the necessary exceptions. I might possibly be the only person to do this, and even if I'm not the effect is probably insignificant, but I thought I'd say so. Not a protest, but more of indication that I was pushed beyond a threshold by these tacky ads.

/Deeply petty.
    Likewise. I tried adding exceptions but something about how this ad is served seems to make it unreliable to just block it and nothing else. Sorry. Maybe I'll subscribe at some point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You can set adblock to only block certain ads or only certain sites. You could use it to not see offending ads, complain to the site, and then remove the block when/if they fix the problem.

Personally I just use adblock on everything, call me an asshole if you want, I don't really care.
    True, but between the amount of sites one can go, its not fun creating your white/black lists. If the ads get bad I tend to go to the site less and eventually not at all. The sites I enjoy more I will leave my feedback and hope they change. I want to support them (freely) without having to look at click bait, audio ads, pop ups, etc. I imagine those ads only pay for clicks, where the main ads pay for impressions.

Obscure Node
    Seem just as bad as before.
    Yep. First article I loaded up I got "Jennifer Lawrence in All Blue Body Paint", "Ken Jeong Photobombs Kate Upton's GQ Photo Shoot" and "Your Ideal Weight Isn't What You Think It Is". Very disappointing.

Network Hub
    Not as bad as the new Stardrive advert on RPS front page now. It has Jake Gyllenhaal with a beard and smoking a pipe. My hand hurts from punching the monitor too many times.

Obscure Node
    Monaco may be a fine game but roasting my optic nerves with the background ad is not helping its cause.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    Not as bad as the new Stardrive advert on RPS front page now. It has Jake Gyllenhaal with a beard and smoking a pipe. My hand hurts from punching the monitor too many times.
    Really? Sounds interesting. On a low resolution monitor I can just see a bear's nose on the left and a pair of boobs on the right. It's a little weird reading some recent articles with a giant disembodied cleavage at the edge of your vision.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I've never agreed with anything you posted, but we share a boat here.

I knew I remembered, vaguely, the Hivemind saying something about ads here, and how they work and how they're sold. Finally remembered which article it was on, and it is this...

"the ads are sold in advance of publication, not based on how many views they receive." source
    Seems like RPS sell their ad space in advance, based on their reputation/metrics/haruspicy, and they don't get paid by the view. So, doesn't really matter if you use adBlock or not, as it doesn't affect the pre-sold ad space. That should ease any consciences for those who use (or have considered using) adBlock stuff.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Seems like RPS sell their ad space in advance, based on their reputation/metrics/haruspicy, and they don't get paid by the view. So, doesn't really matter if you use adBlock or not, as it doesn't affect the pre-sold ad space. That should ease any consciences for those who use (or have considered using) adBlock stuff.
    Except that the adblocking probably harms haruspicy for the future ad-space.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Except that the adblocking probably harms haruspicy for the future ad-space.
    How so? If the ad sell isn't based on how many views the ads receive?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I would imagine you can still show many ads are being delivered, with the AdBlock not counting. Advertisers may ask for that value vs pageviews. The less actual ads deliver give RPS less negotiating room in their asking price.
    Last edited by Moraven; 09-05-2013 at 07:31 PM.

I would imagine you can still how many ads are being delivered, with the AdBlock not counting. Advertisers may ask for that value vs pageviews. The less actual ads deliver give RPS less negotiating room in their asking price.
    So, ad sales aren't based on how many views they receive... but (future) ad sales are based on how many (historical) views ads received.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    So, ad sales aren't based on how many views they receive... but (future) ad sales are based on how many (historical) views ads received.
    Yep - but probably other metrics in there too like expected growth. But it means the anomalies get discounted - if RPS traffic spikes 1000% one month because of one single controversial article, they're not going to be selling the next months' ads at a massively higher price.

Was thinking about ad-block recently. Here's the presumption: that people that use adblock are significantly less likely than others to buy something from an ad, because they hate them so much.

If that's the case, encouraging these people to stop using adblock isn't useful, as it simply decreases the ratio of purchases per view, effectively making the ads less valueable over time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Was thinking about ad-block recently. Here's the presumption: that people that use adblock are significantly less likely than others to buy something from an ad, because they hate them so much.

If that's the case, encouraging these people to stop using adblock isn't useful, as it simply decreases the ratio of purchases per view, effectively making the ads less valueable over time.
    Have you read John Walker's post on the subject? The comments in particular go into this in some detail.
    Last edited by sabrage; 10-05-2013 at 08:02 AM.