Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Have you read John Walker's post on the subject? The comments in particular go into this in some detail.
    It's been a long, long week, but is this comment serious? I'm fairly sure I've heard similar arguments before...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    It's been a long, long week, but is this comment serious? I'm fairly sure I've heard similar arguments before...
    friccish is saying "I don't steal from stores because they tend to have robust protections in place against shoplifting."
    Walker is saying "You don't steal from stores because you want them to continue stocking products you like near you."

The former ignores society. The latter relies on it.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I wonder why they don't push for subscriptions a bit more. It's been there for ages yet it gets mentioned maybe once a year or so? If it's an insignificant source of income compared to ads I can understand if they don't feel like spending lots of effort on it, but it seems odd that there's an alternative way to support the site directly that you actively have to go looking for yourself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    I wonder why they don't push for subscriptions a bit more. It's been there for ages yet it gets mentioned maybe once a year or so? If it's an insignificant source of income compared to ads I can understand if they don't feel like spending lots of effort on it, but it seems odd that there's an alternative way to support the site directly that you actively have to go looking for yourself.
    I think it's partly as they've never really been able to offer any subs benefits so feel a bit embarrassed about it. When I was a subscriber you'd be lucky to get one subs newsletter every month, and it was often frustrating when there were limited offers for beta keys or such on the main site that didn't even get offered to subs first.

Of course, I didn't need any of that stuff to make it worth chucking them a tiny bit of cash every month, but they never really made the most of it.

Activated Node
    speaking of adds, the forum wallpaper is still for Eve - Inferno, wich was last year's summer expac. Any chance updating it to at least retribution or (even better) odyssey

I've been getting these ads on the frontpage as of lately:

You're sounding a bit rapey there, ad.

What do you even say to that?

It's like the infamous Evony all over again. A bit of research revealed we are not even getting the good stuff as seen here. They seriously ran with "You deserve an orgy today". I almost lost another piece of bread.

There's also the ones by "Trading 212".

It says "Make money as trader". There is another one with different graphics and slightly different text but basically the same. Call me a cynic but I have my doubts they give anyone 10,000. I was not able to find out if it really is a scam and I know just about nothing about the subject matter. Scamadviser.com gives it a low trust rating, Scamvoid.com a bad online reputation.
    If this is legit I'm going to eat my hat.

Bonus:
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

I'm seeing some ads on RPS for something called Tynon that also screams of Evony. A barely dressed woman, and the words "Play Now, My Hero!" and "Free Forever".

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
    I'm seeing some ads on RPS for something called Tynon that also screams of Evony. A barely dressed woman, and the words "Play Now, My Hero!" and "Free Forever".
    Yeah, I've seen them around the place and elsewhere as well. It's the same people as Evony, sure enough.
    Marc Bloch Reviews Historical Games A website about the intersections between history and games

This is what I see:

About the naughtiest thing here is for a gym:

Y'all are dirty, dirty people.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...namgkkbiglidom

http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

These should detect your browser and redirect to the corresponding version.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

I have adblock. I listed RPS as an exception.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Just ads for Battlefield 4 here. Three of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just get video game ads, boringly.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

Mammals hate him.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Mammals hate him.
    Sadly, it's not a Jurassic Park thing where they cloned frog DNA.

I think it's a little hokey, considering everything else the zoo has to offer (a hell of a lot, seriously, that place is a gem), but if it gets the kids out...
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Sadly, it's not a Jurassic Park thing where they cloned frog DNA.

I think it's a little hokey, considering everything else the zoo has to offer (a hell of a lot, seriously, that place is a gem), but if it gets the kids out...
    That's a funny way of talking about Yankee stadium.

Also, my ads currently are an ad for thief 4 and some online clothing store that apparently specializes in clothing for black women.

That's a funny way of talking about Yankee stadium.

Also, my ads currently are an ad for thief 4 and some online clothing store that apparently specializes in clothing for black women.
    I always knew you were a black woman.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

I'm guessing whatever ad service they're using feeds out of one of those conglomerate trackers. I looked for a poster recently and got a poster shop advertisement here, and was looking for a nephew's gift and got a Fisher Price ad from Amazon (both terrible ads, but that's to be expected, I guess).

The silly thing is, I've looked at all kindsa naked people and sexy comics and sex-positive websites and such, and I've not seen one sexualized game ad here. I got some silly tabloid/milquetoast "Here's a list of beautiful people" stuff in the MORE FROM THE WEB section, but it was never offensive. I don't even find the pandering Evony/Wartune stuff offensive; cheap and gratuitous, perhaps, and maybe out of line with the spirit of RPS... but eh. How'bout some rippling manflesh and some different body types and such in conjunction with the stereotypical lithe boob-maidens? I don't mind sexy/silly, I just mind it being the same predictable cliche over and over.

Reloaded fifteen tabs just now; not one sexualized game ad. I am totally unfulfilled; I no longer know which body types and video game characters I should be unhealthily idolizing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    In the spirit of curiosity I turned off ad blocking just now and had a browse around the site. This didn't strike me as altogether cool:
    rma9.jpg

Other than that I got ads from my own ISP for the broadband I already have, some clothing stores, cruise trips to Finland, razors for ladies' legs, a couple of other (presumably crappy flash) games, hydraulics equipment and HBO Nordic. Clearly the internet does not know me very well.

Also, I have no idea what this is but it looks creepy as hell.
    vxl0.jpg
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 19-06-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    ...Hydraulics equipment? How the fuck do you even market that? "Ready to 'pressurize' some 'fluids'? No, seriously."