Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    ...Hydraulics equipment? How the fuck do you even market that? "Ready to 'pressurize' some 'fluids'? No, seriously."
    Hah! They could just, er, bat you over the head with it:

double-acting steam cylinders
    reinforced foot-long piston rods
    over-specced lubricated glands

I wonder if there's much crossover between engineering and mechanophilia advertising niches...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    "Mouseover to play Tetsuo: The Iron Man!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Today instead of Evony clone ads, I got Good Samaritan Society and Southwest Airlines. (recently looked at flights and not sure why the other)

Go on clean IE and get Evony clone ads. Good thing to show first time readers.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    ...Hydraulics equipment? How the fuck do you even market that? "Ready to 'pressurize' some 'fluids'? No, seriously."
    Comment of the day! I'm not seeing unusual ads, a lot of free browser games.

Just disabled AdBlock to see if I had anything different from the other day. Nope. Battlefield 4 banner right across the top of the site, and another one between the first and second articles. Then from the top right:

Battlefield 4 ad
    Respond to our gibber section
    Battlefield 4 ad
    Read our finest words section
    Battlefield 4 ad

Oh, and all for the fucking Xbox 180 version. So, 5 ads for the latest game of a franchise I don't play, on a console I'll never own. Fantastic!

On top of that they're all animated which makes my browser chug whenever I scroll near them, so *AdBlock engage*!

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    At least they aren't running those annoying, "local Mom angers dermatologists by discovering weird trick to remove wrinkles" adds that were everywhere a while back. I never understood the psychology of those things. Why would anyone buy that a local mom discovered a miracle cure for aging? You'd think that an appeal to expertise would be more successful (e.g. "dermatologist discovers trick to reduce wrinkles").

Now, though, all internet adds are imitating the fucking annoying blogging trend of reducing everything to a top 10 list. So now it's like all internet adds are imitation "Cracked" articles (i.e. Top 8 ways to prevent a heartattack, top 5 reasons video games are bad for your health).

I actually understand why they are doing that in this case, though, as most of those adds are featured on blogs, so they are trying to fool people into believing that they are just different articles on the blog rather than advertisements. Anything to get people to click, I guess.

In terms of internet advertisements, I really kind of miss the flash game ones that where everywhere 5 years ago......it's odd how internet advertising moves in trends and fads.

Also: I think waaaaaaay too much about this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    Why would anyone buy that a local mom discovered a miracle cure for aging? You'd think that an appeal to expertise would be more successful (e.g. "dermatologist discovers trick to reduce wrinkles").
    Dermawottogist?

School-learnin's fine an'all, but ain't'nothin'beat fam'ly knowhow. Y'ear? Ain't nothin'.

I'm currently getting a Firefall flash video on the right side that auto-plays which is really annoying while trying to read an article.
    I don't have a problem with the static backgrounds but if that thing stays I'm gonna have to turn adblock back on.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta'Lon View Post
    I'm currently getting a Firefall flash video on the right side that auto-plays which is really annoying while trying to read an article.
    I don't have a problem with the static backgrounds but if that thing stays I'm gonna have to turn adblock back on.
    The Firefall ad is only on the homepage, so shouldn't interrupt your regularly scheduled article reading.

Network Hub
    That snake tongue thing is creeping me out a bit.

I'm currently getting flash videos which autoplay and when you mouseover them, audio is activated VERY LOUDLY. This, I do not like...

Me too, except in my case the flash videos play with sound on automatically. Don't even have to mouseover. This is too much to bear.

I get them as well. I never really felt bothered by ads, especially on RPS and i even saw a few actually having something to do with my interests.
    But these autoplaying videos are crap. I open articles in new windows and often have plenty of tabs and browsers open. And i normally do not wear my headset while reading, so i often will not even realise they are there when i open them but when i later want to play or skype, i put on my headset and all i hear is advertisings. And it takes a while too find the offending site. Guess it finally is adBlock time for me.
    Currently playing Supraball, Titanfall, Wildstar and Eve.
    If you happen to like or be interested in fw or general lowsec shenanigans in Eve, say "o/". Name is De'Vadder there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I don't like adblocks because I like sites I visit getting paid. This is all based on the understanding that the sites I visit don't start shouting at me in loud volume.

Really not a fan of autoplaying videos.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    I get them as well. I never really felt bothered by ads, especially on RPS and i even saw a few actually having something to do with my interests.
    But these autoplaying videos are crap. I open articles in new windows and often have plenty of tabs and browsers open. And i normally do not wear my headset while reading, so i often will not even realise they are there when i open them but when i later want to play or skype, i put on my headset and all i hear is advertisings. And it takes a while too find the offending site. Guess it finally is adBlock time for me.
    I'm seeing this thing on several other sites.
    They don't just auto play once, they keep looping too.
    It's like someone's annoying Ad slipped through the cracks (the offending ad seems to mostly be some "AudienceTV" player or something)

Obscure Node
    Hm, I got some "play a sexy game (18+)" and "sexy bikini babes"-ads in germany.
    I wouldn't care on another site, but on RPS I do. It's just wrong.
    RPS is one of the few sites I whitelist in adblock and ghostery.

Obscure Node
    This morning the ads were different ones, but now I got this:

Hit up this very thread to make sure that wasn't just me. I cannot imagine RPS has approved these Tynon ads.

Wolverine ads for me:

Obscure Node
    Hm, here there are still ads that lead to a site with this content:

I'm not sure: does RPS know? Do they care? I guess I use adblock again and forget about it.