Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 169
  1. #101
    Administrator Rossignol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    251
    It is serious, and we're trying to sort it. Eurogamer are well aware of the inappropriate content. It's derived from us trying to work with third parties with poor content control. We'll hopefully have it expunged from the site soon.

  2. #102
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8
    Hello All,

    As an introduction I am the Ad Trafficker for Gamer Network and manage the current advertisement on RPS as well as Eurogamer.

    I will do my best to reply to each of you individually about the current ad issues you have been noticing if applicable.

    My priority is your enjoyment when using the site and to stay on top of unfavourable ads.

    However believe me when I say this is no easy feat... we have a set of default rules that do in theory block the unfavourable ads. But the sneaky ones here are the advertisers who will stretch every working minute to work around the rules and get their ads live.

    You will notice this is the case with ads such as the one that was for 'Male Gamers Only' - I have blocked these guys from all our remnant ad providers a number of times.. however about once a month they manage to create new accounts and we have to block them again.

    With this in mind and the frequency of ads which we display across all territories (in the thousands) please continue to make me aware of these issues and like I said I will continue to do everything I can to get these removed.

    So you are aware current providers are in fact under review and will be removed if they fail to up their current standards.

    Many Thanks
    Ben Whitmore

  3. #103
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,822
    woah, holy quick reply batman. well you heard it, people!


    oh one more thing, though, the inboxes on these forums fill up very quick, is there any way to reach you outside of the RPS forums?
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 12-01-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  4. #104
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    woah, holy quick reply batman. well you heard it, people!
    Glad I could be of help here.. I will get onto reply to each of you as soon as I can.

    However like I said please continue to make me aware of any further ad issues and I will do everything I can to get these removed.

  5. #105
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennyw01 View Post
    You will notice this is the case with ads such as the one that was for 'Male Gamers Only' - I have blocked these guys from all our remnant ad providers a number of times.. however about once a month they manage to create new accounts and we have to block them again.
    Whether or not it benefits RPS, this isn't the sort of thing I'll ever let in my home. Sorry.

  6. #106
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,822
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Whether or not it benefits RPS, this isn't the sort of thing I'll ever let in my home. Sorry.
    .......thats....why...hes replying?
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  7. #107
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    No porn for me, but in Firefox in an Android phone, I get redirected to the Google play store for "Empire: Four Kingdoms". This is clearly bad netiquette.

  8. #108
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    .......thats....why...hes replying?
    Employ better ad agencies, or better yet pursue alternative forms of revenue.

  9. #109
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,822
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Employ better ad agencies, or better yet pursue alternative forms of revenue.
    There are. Just subscribe and use adblock.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  10. #110
    Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    507
    I appreciate you taking the time to inform us of the situation. I think we all figured it was along those lines but it helps to actually hear it. It's quite frustrating to be told you can't play a game because you're female :(

  11. #111
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    I appreciate you taking the time to inform us of the situation. I think we all figured it was along those lines but it helps to actually hear it. It's quite frustrating to be told you can't play a game because you're female :(

    Sadly its just one of those ads that keep reappearing.

    We deal with thousands of ads on a daily basis and always remove these guys whenever they do appear.

    They do not reflect our personal views hence we will take no delay in removing these from the site.

    We will always go out of our way to provide advertising that is both relevant and appealing but along side this we have third party revenue stream.

    These are protected by a set of default rules created by us that typically keep us safe but you got to put your self in the shoes of an advertiser who doesn't particularly care about reader engagement and might not necessarily have an appealing product.

    They are going to do everything they can to get around these rules and we do everything we can to shut them down as soon as they do.

    So we really appreciate each of you politely flagging this with us so we can do the right thing.

    Thanks for the support!

  12. #112
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,691
    The thing is, it's tricky, we all get that it's tricky, you have to work with third parties, follow their requirements, and you simply can't afford to put your livelihood on the line by taking the adverts down entirely until you can get it sorted.

    I just sometimes wish the same consideration would be given to games developers, who are often just following publisher guidelines in creating testosterone driven fantasies, and trying to do the best with what they have. And the publishers are doing it because it turns out that sort of thing is what sells, and they don't want to risk their jobs either.

    RPS often acts like it's just down to a few people going "okay, we'll stop objectifying women in games" and the problem can be solved... when as stuff like this demonstrates, it's a lot more complicated than that.

  13. #113
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    The thing is, it's tricky, we all get that it's tricky, you have to work with third parties, follow their requirements, and you simply can't afford to put your livelihood on the line by taking the adverts down entirely until you can get it sorted.

    I just sometimes wish the same consideration would be given to games developers, who are often just following publisher guidelines in creating testosterone driven fantasies, and trying to do the best with what they have. And the publishers are doing it because it turns out that sort of thing is what sells, and they don't want to risk their jobs either.

    RPS often acts like it's just down to a few people going "okay, we'll stop objectifying women in games" and the problem can be solved... when as stuff like this demonstrates, it's a lot more complicated than that.
    Not really. How often does a major publisher's release consist of essentially a picture of a topless woman and the words "Fuck me, my lord" on it? Fairly rarely.

    There is a difference between the questionable "Must we focus on Shepard's ass?" ads and the "So... apparently this shitty RTS is a porn simulator" ads.
    Last edited by gundato; 14-01-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  14. #114

  15. #115
    Lesser Hivemind Node eRa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    545
    The Rock is black? Holy shit.

  16. #116
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,692
    Apparently you've never smelled what he's cooking.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

  17. #117
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,691
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Not really. How often does a major publisher's release consist of essentially a picture of a topless woman and the words "Fuck me, my lord" on it? Fairly rarely.

    There is a difference between the questionable "Must we focus on Shepard's ass?" ads and the "So... apparently this shitty RTS is a porn simulator" ads.
    You're right that the ads are worse than anything in any mainstream game, I just don't see how that doesn't strengthen my argument, rather than diminish it.

  18. #118
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    You're right that the ads are worse than anything in any mainstream game, I just don't see how that doesn't strengthen my argument, rather than diminish it.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding your argument, but most of us are complaining about the evony-esque ads. Stuff like Shepard's ass or Lara Croft in a semi-transparent tank top are annoying but within the realm of what you expect with gaming. We would prefer not to have to expect that, but baby steps.

    This is the difference between someone saying "No hardcore porn" and "No lingerie ads".
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  19. #119
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,691
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding your argument
    I think so - what I'm getting at the ads we are seeing are at least as bad as the sort of things in games that RPS complains about, and often a lot worse.

    I both agree with RPS's stance on games, and I understand that making a site clean of all this stuff is hard to do. But sex sells, and it sells video games too as well as being good for adverts. RPS want to to acknowledge that it's not easy to filter this stuff out, and it's not like they can just turn the adverts off entirely until they get this sorted, as its their income, and their livelihood.

    It's similar for a lot of developers. That sort of imagery sells games, and yes I'd like it to stop but you're inevitably asking for publishers and developers to put their livelihoods on the line by getting rid of this stuff, or casting more strong female protagonists (which research shows causes games to sell worse). But it's not that simple for them either. But consideration is rarely given to that.

  20. #120
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,822
    I think its a valid request. they dont have to comply and you dont have to buy their shit. the problem however is that games are entertainment and generally publishers as opposed to developers define the image of a game, even if it has nothing to do with it.

    games, movies, TV or music. however, you could go by what the developers wanted and try and either ignore the publishers and give them your money anyway, or obtain said entertainment through other means and try and find a way to pay the creators directly.

    the latter is quite hard.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •