Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    I concur. This doesn't seem to be an issue with an individual website, but rather an issue with accessing the delivery server itself. Loading the Forum without an Adblock, gets the Browser stuck on contacting ads.eurogamer.net. It keeps doing that for several minutes, until it finally gives in and loads the page. Without the Ad.

I've done a tracert and there seem to be two hiccups. One in the beginning which may well be my Provider (it's visibly trying different routes and failing), the second hiccup seems to be on Eurogamers end. More precisely, this is how the tracert "ends"

[...]
    17 62 ms 62 ms 62 ms bish.eurogamer.net [94.198.81.236]
    18 62 ms 62 ms 62 ms 94.198.81.235
    19 62 ms 62 ms 62 ms bish.eurogamer.net [94.198.81.236]
    20 62 ms 62 ms 62 ms 94.198.81.235
    21 63 ms 63 ms 63 ms bish.eurogamer.net [94.198.81.236]
    22 63 ms 63 ms 63 ms 94.198.81.235
    [...]

Basically, Step 17 and 18 repeat ad nauseum (until it reaches the limit I've specified or the default of 30 steps).
    As has been said, this makes it literally impossible to browse the Forum without blocking this specific source.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    In further news, this is still happening, rendering the Forum unusable for anyone without an Adblocker. Any news on this front?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    In further news, this is still happening, rendering the Forum unusable for anyone without an Adblocker. Any news on this front?
    Is that what it is? The forum takes ages to load on my phone.

Yep, been having the same problem for the last few days.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Is that what it is? The forum takes ages to load on my phone.
    Yep. Basically the Forum tries to reach Eurogamer for Ads. The Eurogamer Ad Server however loops back on itself indefinitely. This goes on for a minute or two. The Forum can't load during this time.

Adblockers don't allow the connection in the first place, hence why folks with Adblock don't get hit by the loop.

Obscure Node
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.. I have forwarded this onto our tech department who should get this sorted within no time.

Cheers
    Ben

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just a short update from my end, the loading times seem to have been fixed (I see the corresponding script has been commented out).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Cheers for the update. Ads are enabled again!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    The RPS Betterify greasemonkey script seems to have stopped blocking that awful business these last few days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterborn View Post
    The RPS Betterify greasemonkey script seems to have stopped blocking that awful business these last few days.
    Hmm, they probably changed the ids. If anyone wants to "fork" it, go ahead.
    I can't right away, my main computer is AWOL. If I don't say anything in the next few weeks, you can post here to remind me.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Don't know whether it's better to start a new thread or continue this one, but here goes:

I keep adblock off on RPS, as I want to support the site. I also subscribe. However, recently the sidebar ads have taken a turn for the worse: there's been some clickbait nonsense with annoying flashing / animated stuff. Today there's ads for a film which have modal popups that obscure the site content every time I accidentally mouse over them.

I've appreciated that RPS has tried to avoid the worst of the online ad world, but this stuff is starting to push it for me. I'd rather not cut out that revenue for you guys, but I'm pretty tempted to turn adblock back on. Is this something you're able to do anything about if I report the ads?

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I'd happily pay a higher-tier subscription for an ad-free site. Or an informal 'pay us a little more and turn on adblock' version, assuming you probably don't want to implement a paywall.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleLikeFrank View Post
    Or an informal 'pay us a little more and turn on adblock' version
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/supportrps/
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Hmm, they probably changed the ids. If anyone wants to "fork" it, go ahead.
    I can't right away, my main computer is AWOL. If I don't say anything in the next few weeks, you can post here to remind me.
    Looks like it's been a few weeks and we're still in the same sad boat :(

Looks like it's been a few weeks and we're still in the same sad boat :(
    Thanks for the reminder!
    I tested a bit now and it seems to be working. If not, just say something here, preferably with a link and/or a screenshot.
    You can also try to install Rock Paper Centered: https://userstyles.org/styles/93689/rock-paper-centered
    And if you are insane like me, Rock Paper Terminal: http://userstyles.org/styles/95478/rock-paper-terminal

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The Diesel Stormers add is killing the tab in my browser. Probably because it's huge, it's annoyingly obnoxious, and because it auto loads and plays a video. Grrr.

You are a hero somini, working perfectly now. No more outbrain awfulness.

You are a hero somini, working perfectly now. No more outbrain awfulness.
    I'm "working" adapting the Terminal CSS to the forums, but I haven't got the time really. The centered script works really well, with a small tweak: https://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/38368/x

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    The Diesel Stormers add is killing the tab in my browser. Probably because it's huge, it's annoyingly obnoxious, and because it auto loads and plays a video. Grrr.
    I HATE DIESEL STORMERS.

That ad does not only autoplay, but autoplay with LOUDEST sound. It killed my Mendelssohn mood.

Activated Node
    I've donated in the past, and I've always kept ad-block off on the site (Outbrain crap an exception).

This is the first time I've ever seen an auto-playing video here, RPS is now on my blacklist. Won't be donating again any time soon due to the increase in snarky narcissism by a couple of the recent arrivals, but that's separate issue.

I know the original Hivemind are moving on with life in various ways and therefore understandably need some more income, but this is a really piss-poor way to go about it.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    I'd actually removed the ad blocker from my browser, but lately Chrome can't even load the front page. It gets hung up about halfway down. Something in the ads is absolutely toxic.