Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I think so - what I'm getting at the ads we are seeing are at least as bad as the sort of things in games that RPS complains about, and often a lot worse.

I both agree with RPS's stance on games, and I understand that making a site clean of all this stuff is hard to do. But sex sells, and it sells video games too as well as being good for adverts. RPS want to to acknowledge that it's not easy to filter this stuff out, and it's not like they can just turn the adverts off entirely until they get this sorted, as its their income, and their livelihood.

It's similar for a lot of developers. That sort of imagery sells games, and yes I'd like it to stop but you're inevitably asking for publishers and developers to put their livelihoods on the line by getting rid of this stuff, or casting more strong female protagonists (which research shows causes games to sell worse). But it's not that simple for them either. But consideration is rarely given to that.
    I get what you're saying, but I think it is a matter of scale on both sides. Ignoring John Walker's tendency to shift to "FUCK ALL OF YOU!!" mode, I doubt even he would organize a boycott over Cate Archer in a catsuit unless she were pressing her breasts up against the camera or something. Whereas I expect a pretty big hubbub to erupt when MGS:Ground Zeros comes out and we confirm that Quiet really is in a string bikini just for fanservice purposes.

Same thing here. It is scale. Absolutes just cause problems.
    Last edited by gundato; 15-01-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I both agree with RPS's stance on games, and I understand that making a site clean of all this stuff is hard to do.
    Nah, it only started when RPS decided to add all the third party, click bait, bullshit ads that every blog has now. It is very hard to control the content of those sorts of ads, probably impossible, because the third party agency makes its own rules and the adds are drawn from a pool and will be displayed often based on browsing history, so RPS (or Eurogamer or whoever looks at this stuff) will not get to approve any of the ads. But RPS didn't always have those ads. It used to just be the main back ground and banner ads, if I remember correctly, which were usually for pretty mainstream games and services so it was never an issue.

Honestly, if RPS wants to deal with the trashier end of blog advertising (i.e. the silly click bait articles all disguised as "Cracked.com" blog articles and the auto-playing movies that every once in a while will feature half naked chicks bathing), they'll probably just have to get used to the occasional sensational or offensive add. Or they could just not engage in the trashier end of blog advertising and stop using those services (like I said, they never had these ads before). But I don't know. Maybe they need the money, so I won't blame them too much if they don't.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 19-01-2014 at 06:07 AM.

To the best that I can gather, they decided they needed the money to hire two additional staff members. But who knows, maybe they have another trick up their sleeve.

I still don't get why they don't push subscribing. Are they still supplying a regular newsletter for that?

well.... its not so regular at all, sadly. But I am still happily contributing my two bucks a month.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    My subscription is what I use to justify blocking the ads (it's also why I don't particularly mind never really receiving anything for the sub). I don't need nor want half-naked anime women invading the entire site's layout and increasing load times by 50%. The Outbrain adverts drain my IQ, I can feel it pouring out in horror.

I'm sure RPS would rather have both the sub and the ads, but until I notice a change in the ad selection that just ain't happening.

I dont think RPS is asking for anything, but Im blocking and subbing.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Personally, even though i am in RPS every day, the last few months the situation with ads has gotten on my nerves too much.

I don't mind half naked manga chicks. I don't mind that for the whole summer I saw the same bloody ad in the middle of every article (two or was it three heads of women with snakes on their heads and tongues out or something along those lines). What I do mind is that it takes four times as long to load a page now and on the mobile the site is simply a disaster. Takes ages to load a page, the page keeps scrolling/refreshing while the ads keep loading (while I am reading), the clickable buttons in the forum are slow to recognise the touch/click (most likely due to the bloody header ad still loading.....

You get my drift. Sites like Polygon and Eurogamer are faster to load, even though they are much more complex and image/video heavy.

Rant over. But it's getting worse, this thing.

Obscure Node
    I visit RPS to find out about computer games.

The 'more from the web' section isn't relevant, useful or wanted. It is at best a waste of space & bandwidth. I can't imagine any RPS visitor clicking through so how will it generate ad revenue?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakfizer View Post
    I visit RPS to find out about computer games.

The 'more from the web' section isn't relevant, useful or wanted. It is at best a waste of space & bandwidth. I can't imagine any RPS visitor clicking through so how will it generate ad revenue?
    Tooting my own horn alert: http://userstyles.org/styles/95132/rps-betterify
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Obscure Node
    Hey guys!

Just wanted to have a little catch up with you all as I have been busy with my team ensuring that the filter for RPS stays as PC as possible. Which as you can imagine given the scale of these global advertising solutions is a tricky one to get spot on.. (hard to please everyone).

I haven't seen anything I would consider unfavourable filter through and you will start to notice that alot of ads reflect your recent search terms. Hence why I get loads of ads offering me holidays.. (I think they think I need one).

I am not sure how wise it would be to put my direct email on the site but if you would like to send direct feedback/ads in question I would be more than happy to discuss this further with each of you on an individual basis :) all part of the service!

Cheers
    Ben

Its not really about political correctness, though, more about outright sexism.

Either way, I dont have ads activated, so I have no clue if any of them are bad, back, or horrid.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There's a semi annoying one, when browsing the website on Tablet. Nioxin (or similar? Hair growth thingie? Can't give the precise URL because - Tablets) constantly forces focus. Since it is shown at the bottom of the website, whenever that Ad is up, I effectively can't use the website. I scroll back up and a few seconds later, it forces itself back into view. Bringing me all the way down again.
    I reckon it's actually supposed to show at the right side, like most other Ads, but somehow flows downwards.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Its not really about political correctness, though, more about outright sexism.

Either way, I dont have ads activated, so I have no clue if any of them are bad, back, or horrid.
    PC does include sexism.. ads are always going to tip towards sexism as we all know sex sells.

I am just going to do my very best to keep it off RPS.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    There's a semi annoying one, when browsing the website on Tablet. Nioxin (or similar? Hair growth thingie? Can't give the precise URL because - Tablets) constantly forces focus. Since it is shown at the bottom of the website, whenever that Ad is up, I effectively can't use the website. I scroll back up and a few seconds later, it forces itself back into view. Bringing me all the way down again.
    I reckon it's actually supposed to show at the right side, like most other Ads, but somehow flows downwards.

Any chance you can share your territory? its easier if I know where you are based.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Of course. It's Switzerland, north western part, close to bâle (Basel).

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    Of course. It's Switzerland, north western part, close to bâle (Basel).
    Haha! very detailed! thank you

So I normally visit the site from a browser without Adblock because I don't mind waiting an extra second to support RPS, but some eurogamer ad was hanging the site so badly that the forums wouldn't load. You won't be making any money off me today, but perhaps tomorrow will be better..

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinaldirection View Post
    So I normally visit the site from a browser without Adblock because I don't mind waiting an extra second to support RPS, but some eurogamer ad was hanging the site so badly that the forums wouldn't load. You won't be making any money off me today, but perhaps tomorrow will be better..
    I've been encountering the same issue for the past few hours. Site loads, but I get a black screen because of something being loaded from ads.eurogamer.net that doesn't seem to appear. I don't run any adblockers on Eurogamer.net or RockPaperShotgun. I do require a click for Flash plug-ins to play because auto-playing video ads are really annoying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinaldirection View Post
    Same issue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Hi, to access the forums I also had to install adblock - the eurogamer ad was hanging for up to five minutes every time I tried to read a thread.

Please let me know when this is fixed so I can disable adblock again!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.