Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Yeah, better that the PLs say "PL to Alpha, sitrep" and then "PL to Bravo, sitrep" after alpha, etc etc. Otherwise I fear people may just start going out of order, especially with multiple platoons.

I'll do a quick brief on proper comms usage on sundays training thing.
    Especially true now, after I disconnected the ROs from each other, to cut down a bit on their information load. Though, connecting them again and enforcing comms discipline would probably be better, but harder to do.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_Dentum View Post
    I think the taking territory side of things went well for a ghost cap. However from my point of view in the air squad I was bored wittless. I think I got to kill two enemy infantry the whole time I was online. The one time there was any air around was when I got insta-gibbed by a lib with the tankbuster before I even knew he was there.

I feel having that much air just sitting around waiting for something to do is a bit of a waste. It may work out to be more fun if the air squad has it's own objectives, even just harrassing bases away from our main push. If we're needed we can always be there in under a minute anyway. Having a couple of scythes with the main force would be good, but when we have that many ESFs we should be doing something useful with them and not hovering around getting bored.

As an additional note, squad/platoon waypoints need to be put down ASAP, there were several times when I was waiting for something to do, due to confusion with the comms, we could hear the command chat, so it was rather difficult to know where we were supposed to be and what we were supposed to be doing. Having the waypoints down would help a lot as at least we would know where we were needed and could just kill some stuff while we wait for more explicit orders.

To sum up my experiences, we had some problems but with practice this set up could work really well.
    Yeah the air squadron is hard to do right. I think the best way is to sort of have them as the squad that is responsible for meeting enemy air threat or pulling air when the opportunity presents itself. But otherwise acting as a somewhat normal infantry squad that tags along the main advance. Maybe with a bit more AA focus.

The biggest problem with having the airsquad doing their own thing is that they risk being shot down so they are not availible when needed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Very long, sketchseven, but also very insightful, which is good! Agree completely on the use of the air group, Sundy hunting and cover from incoming enemy Galaxies are perfect jobs for the air group - GIVEN THAT the ground forces can make sure the skies aren't filled with flak.

Air group should not be a taxi service, there is too much overhead and organisational trouble to get it to work properly. Besides, a Galaxy only fits 12, so if the pilot's not in the squad, someone will have to find other transport. Usually, this sorts itself out, because there is often someone flying, rather than being on the ground, but if we get a regular air group going, that's not going to happen anymore. SO, having squads bring their own galaxies is probably best.

As for keeping people in the fight, that is something that I try to keep in mind when PLing. Making sure that everyone is enjoying themselves is equally as important as "winning" or achieving whatever goal we've set for the night. That includes asking how people are doing every once in a while, and trying to keep track of who's been getting any good fights lately. I find it a very tricky thing to do, however, because there is simply so much information to juggle when you're platoon leading. You must make it a high and very conscious priority at all times, before it becomes a habit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Yeah, last night was much too ghostcappy, but this is the wrong thread for that. Can we just start having all AARs in one single thread as we tried and just discuss the last event there?

sketch: That's the idea with call-in with the addition that you ask to speak first. This makes sure it reaches the PL loud and clear and such.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar

AAR -Strategic Thursdays - 18/04/2013 - 07:30pm-10:30pm

Post in the AAR thread.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 19-04-2013 at 04:08 PM.