Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

I'm getting bored of RPS' articles...

If it isn't politics, it's indy or Kickstarter. Mainly.

It feels more and more like my expensive computer is being used to run games that could have run on an Amiga 1200, and that seems mainly what RPS is reporting on. There's no excitement any more. It all seems to be rather dull. Eurogamer seem to have far more interesting articles about devs and pubs, while PCG seems to be going down the same route as RPS.

I understand that some people will be looking towards arty indy games, but those articles seem to curry little favour compared to the ones pointed towards bigger stuff (judging by comment rate).

Is it just me?
    Last edited by FurryLippedSquid; 19-04-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryLippedSquid View Post
    It feels more and more like my expensive computer is being used to run games that could have run on an Amiga 1200, and that seems mainly what RPS seems to be reporting on.
    You're what is wrong with gaming.[/hyperbol]
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Am I?

I honestly don't know.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Go to Eurogamer then. I don't see what the problem is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    RPS isn't nor is it trying to be the only shop in town when it comes to computer games.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It feels more and more like my expensive computer is being used to run games that could have run on an Amiga 1200, and that seems mainly what RPS is reporting on.
    Well the triple-A titles are nearly all on console also, so covered hugely elsewhere at places like... well, Eurogamer.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Well the triple-A titles are nearly all on console also, so covered hugely elsewhere at places like... well, Eurogamer.
    Although true, it also assumed by the writers that the reader will be a console gamer. Some are better than others in that regard, such as Eurogamer, but it is unlikely that a review will ever be done on a PC and discuss issues that might concern a PC player, particularly if they go beyond graphical fidelity. RPS can just focus on the one (true) platform and give me the information from a perspective that I actually care about. (Having said that, I've always thought it would be good to have a weekly round up of the goings on on console land.)

I also find that my opinion on games align with the writers of RPS more often than not, so there opinion means a lot more to me than the writers of other sites. Reviews of Tomb Raider were almost unanimously very positive across the board, but the RPS review highlighted the areas that I knew would bother. Based on other sites, I probably would have put a pre-order in, but I held off for RPS and decided it was a bargain buy. Footage I've seen since and player comments makes me believe this was the right choice.

So, I want RPS to cover as many games as I am likely to play as possible. I'm probably not going to play Indie Platformer 34. As someone else says though, I think there is just a drought on AAA games news at the moment. We have had a couple of pretty big releases (the aforementioned Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite,) and those have received plenty of coverage. I don't feel as if I am missing out on anything by sticking to RPS as my main source of gaming news.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    And while we're at it, Eurogamer is a pretty great site with some well written and nuanced reviews. They're less afraid to pan a game than a lot of sites are. If you ignore scores, they look even better.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I would understand if RPS didn't report major games, but they do. It sounds like they just post more, which has a larger percentage of stuff you might not be interested in.

Also this should really be in the RPS section of the forum.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Let's step-back a second here - RPS isn't IGN or Gamespot or even Giant Bomb or Eurogamer - it's a blog about PC Gaming and it's very much personal to the people who created and write for it - and as such it will contain exactly what they want it to.

I'm not sure how you can moan about that - if you don't like it, move along to something else surely?

Do you pin-down Stephen Fry or Cory Doctorow or any other blogger when their sites don't cover your interests!? :)

I mean personally I think the punnery is getting out of hand here - the absolute core of comedy is brevity and timing and not redoing the same gag endlessly - but I find other bits interesting and so I just think "you could have used those braincells more usefully perhaps" and read along anyway :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Let's step-back a second here - RPS isn't IGN or Gamespot or even Giant Bomb or Eurogamer - it's a blog
    Hey now! It's a glorified blog.

Just be glad we are not talking about DRM, sexism or EULA agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Quickly, someone mix the three.

Oh, the nag.

I can't believe how all women never read the EULA. Then the expect a man to go fix their shoe shopping simulators when the DRM locks them out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMonkey View Post
    I can't believe how all women never read the EULA. Then the expect a man to go fix their shoe shopping simulators when the DRM locks them out of the game.
    I don't know if you are talking *about* sexism, strictly.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Honestly, RPS posts maybe 10 posts a day. It takes all of 5 minutes to scroll through those posts, read the headlines, and pick which ones you actually want to read. So it seems like a pretty rsik free enterprise. Either read or don't. It's not like you have to pay a subscription fee.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Is it just me?
    Probably not, but you can't please everyone all the time. Simple as that really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    The first post on the site (see page 1510) said: "Welcome to Rock, Paper, Shotgun. We’ll be writing about games, you’ll be reading about games. PC games, mostly, with a hint of retro."

The first game written about was: http://binnenstad.hku.nl/
    The second article was about getting disgusted with Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and playing Peggle instead. =P
    The next three were about World in Conflict beta, a Fallout 3 trailer, and (of all things) Maple Story.

I'd say they have stuck reasonably close to their heritage. ^_^
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I know people that would buy a shoe shopping simulator. But let's not talk about them.