Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I'm getting bored of RPS' articles...

If it isn't politics, it's indy or Kickstarter. Mainly.

It feels more and more like my expensive computer is being used to run games that could have run on an Amiga 1200, and that seems mainly what RPS is reporting on. There's no excitement any more. It all seems to be rather dull. Eurogamer seem to have far more interesting articles about devs and pubs, while PCG seems to be going down the same route as RPS.

I understand that some people will be looking towards arty indy games, but those articles seem to curry little favour compared to the ones pointed towards bigger stuff (judging by comment rate).

Is it just me?
    Last edited by FurryLippedSquid; 19-04-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryLippedSquid View Post
    It feels more and more like my expensive computer is being used to run games that could have run on an Amiga 1200, and that seems mainly what RPS seems to be reporting on.
    You're what is wrong with gaming.[/hyperbol]
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Am I?

I honestly don't know.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Go to Eurogamer then. I don't see what the problem is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    RPS isn't nor is it trying to be the only shop in town when it comes to computer games.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It feels more and more like my expensive computer is being used to run games that could have run on an Amiga 1200, and that seems mainly what RPS is reporting on.
    Well the triple-A titles are nearly all on console also, so covered hugely elsewhere at places like... well, Eurogamer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I would understand if RPS didn't report major games, but they do. It sounds like they just post more, which has a larger percentage of stuff you might not be interested in.

Also this should really be in the RPS section of the forum.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Let's step-back a second here - RPS isn't IGN or Gamespot or even Giant Bomb or Eurogamer - it's a blog about PC Gaming and it's very much personal to the people who created and write for it - and as such it will contain exactly what they want it to.

I'm not sure how you can moan about that - if you don't like it, move along to something else surely?

Do you pin-down Stephen Fry or Cory Doctorow or any other blogger when their sites don't cover your interests!? :)

I mean personally I think the punnery is getting out of hand here - the absolute core of comedy is brevity and timing and not redoing the same gag endlessly - but I find other bits interesting and so I just think "you could have used those braincells more usefully perhaps" and read along anyway :)

Just be glad we are not talking about DRM, sexism or EULA agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Quickly, someone mix the three.

Oh, the nag.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Honestly, RPS posts maybe 10 posts a day. It takes all of 5 minutes to scroll through those posts, read the headlines, and pick which ones you actually want to read. So it seems like a pretty rsik free enterprise. Either read or don't. It's not like you have to pay a subscription fee.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Let's step-back a second here - RPS isn't IGN or Gamespot or even Giant Bomb or Eurogamer - it's a blog
    Hey now! It's a glorified blog.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Is it just me?
    Probably not, but you can't please everyone all the time. Simple as that really.

I can't believe how all women never read the EULA. Then the expect a man to go fix their shoe shopping simulators when the DRM locks them out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMonkey View Post
    I can't believe how all women never read the EULA. Then the expect a man to go fix their shoe shopping simulators when the DRM locks them out of the game.
    I don't know if you are talking *about* sexism, strictly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    The first post on the site (see page 1510) said: "Welcome to Rock, Paper, Shotgun. We’ll be writing about games, you’ll be reading about games. PC games, mostly, with a hint of retro."

The first game written about was: http://binnenstad.hku.nl/
    The second article was about getting disgusted with Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and playing Peggle instead. =P
    The next three were about World in Conflict beta, a Fallout 3 trailer, and (of all things) Maple Story.

I'd say they have stuck reasonably close to their heritage. ^_^
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I know people that would buy a shoe shopping simulator. But let's not talk about them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Sometimes I find RPS are a bit too into the indie reporting, some posts are little more than "Here's a video which tells us nothing, and this is a game and stuff, and it's indie so yay!", and sometimes the venom aimed at AAA games or publishers comes off as a fan service rather than legitimate criticism... but I just skip those articles. I can usually tell from the first few lines whether or not I'll care, and if I don't I just move on.

I am glad though that in the last week there's been less preaching from RPS. I know I don't have to read it and blah blah but I find the attitude a little annoying at times.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    There really hasn't been much news to report I don't think. Maybe I'm out of the loop a bit these days, but what big games are even on the horizon? Other than an MMO or two I can't think of much off the top of my head. It seems most "AAA" publishers are holding their cards for the announcement of the next gen consoles.