Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    The politcal and indie stuff is one of the main reasons I frequent this site.

I personally find the here's a video posts to be the ones that I have no interest in and could find on every gaming website under the sun.
    I agree about the political stuff. It recognises the fact that many PC gamers are adults able to debate and engage complex and important ideas. There are also issues that, I feel, must be tackled (yes, such as sexism and homophobia etc.). Certain elements within the games industry act in a way that might have been acceptable in the 1970s, but which needs calling out, even if some find it uncomfortable. The few criticisms I do sometimes have of some articles on here are that you need to skip the first two or three sentences from certain writers who invariably begin with self-indulgent tosh largely about themselves . . . oh, and the overuse of buzzwords such as 'tropes' and references to Barthes 'Death of the Author' . . . both of which tend to give the impression that the writer is trying to impress but with a limited depth of knowledge. Generally though, I think RPS is really very lovely.
    Last edited by glimpse fade yelp; 19-04-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I agree. I think it was the Dwarf Fortress series that made me actually read RPS on a regular basis.

The problem with the WITs though is that they're starting to become fairly light on "What they think" and are starting to sound like advertisements or rants. The Papo and Yo article is a good example - the first half is a bunch of anecdotes which aren't particularly informative, the actual WIT doesn't really start until the last bit. I get the connection but I don't think it was necessary. Also although the review admits it has many flaws and is effectively a boring puzzler, it ends with "But it's still good and worth getting!" which is becoming the punchline to way too many indie reviews, not just on RPS but elsewhere. It's almost like "Well the execution is boring and if it was anything else we'd skip it, but it's indie and it's got art and style so it's great really go buy."

Then again, as you say we're not running the site, they can write however they like. Doesn't mean we can't offer opinions though!
    I came because of the utter failure of Kotaku / the Gawker network. Had been reading for a while and started posted later. Sadly, I think I was one of a cohort, and it is not a particularly eloquent or interesting one.

I don't think Nathan is quite there yet / he still needs time to grow into his style. The Papa and Yo review / feathertouch David Gaider interview are two examples of this.
    Last edited by Internet; 19-04-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I feel thereís less critical engagement than there used to be. Itís basically ďThis thing is coming outĒ WITís and ďwe talked to some people in fairly tightly controlled circumstancesĒ.
    I think that's fair and partly because they now do proper 'news' coverage where they didn't before. Though there does seem to be more 'here's an interesting looking free/indie game we haven't played yet' stuff than 'here's one, you should play it, here is why'.

Quote Originally Posted by Olero View Post
    Well, there is plenty of big kickstarter (bigstarter..? Sorry) projects to be waiting for, though they tend to have ETA's in 2014 and beyond mostly. But Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Torment, Double Fine and others will someday show up :)
    Kickstarter presents an interesting dilemma. Those are huge games for the PC market, but the news on development goes out to the backers, not to the press. I probably know far more about the state of DF, Eternity and Wasteland 2 than RPS do. If PC games sites aren't backing every major KS project for a dollar just to get the updates, then they're doing it wrong, to be honest.

It's actually amusing watching journos complain on Twitter about this, or that Steam alpha funding games aren't automatically added to their press accounts. KS isn't just changing the consumer/developer and developer/publisher relationships, it changing the press/developer relationship too, and I don't think people quite have a handle on it yet. Will be very interesting to see what happens when review copies of these big titles aren't available until after backer copies go out...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Yeah, for all the taking the piss out of the culture of “does it have good graphics” and other empty statements a lot of the news regarding upcoming releases is similarly baseless in what it says on RPS.

Tit: le

Hey so Title Joke funny something Cats! OOoh.

Upcoming game is programmed by a third of Herzog Zwei’s original team and aims to mix the writing of Planescape Torment with the accessibility of Viva Pinata. If it’s anything like as good as they’re aiming for then it will be one to watch!

Here’s a picture of a thing.

Comments

Nothing wrong with that but there’s nothing there you can’t get in a Press release either. I think it’s probably more just symptomatic of the need, and inability, to deliver worthwhile content anywhere near as much as is demanded in the age of rolling news

Network Hub
    Woah, can't believe someone is complaining about lack of coverage of those crappy "AAA" games on RPS?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Anyhow, there's lots of "AAA" coverage
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Rps isn't eurogamer it has its own niche, go to eurogamer if you want to read AAA press releases.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Well the triple-A titles are nearly all on console also, so covered hugely elsewhere at places like... well, Eurogamer.
    And while we're at it, Eurogamer is a pretty great site with some well written and nuanced reviews. They're less afraid to pan a game than a lot of sites are. If you ignore scores, they look even better.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Rps isn't eurogamer it has its own niche, go to eurogamer if you want to read AAA press releases.
    *sigh*

I do, I do. I visit many gaming sites and I've been a lurker here for years. It just seems that since Kickstarter took off it's all we ever hear about on RPS. And the frustrating thing is that hardly any games have come of it yet. So we hear previews of concepts, and not much else.

I suppose that will change when the games actually start to get released, and I will be less grumpy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryLippedSquid View Post
    I suppose that will change when the games actually start to get released, and I will be less grumpy.
    You and Soldant both.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Also, to jump on the "not much to report" bandwagon, AAA development is slow. It comes in fits and spurts. Eventually, a bunch of trailers for all the major releases will pour out at once. There will be more and more trailers as we get closer to release. Then a bunch of them will come out at once. And then we start over. A couple will come out of sync with the pack, but most of those games are released on a similar, slow time scale.

Unless you count console-only releases.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Eventually, a bunch of trailers for all the major releases will pour out at once. There will be more and more trailers as we get closer to release. Then a bunch of them will come out at once. And then we start over.
    Doesn't that strike you as odd, though? Why do they like to release in 2 month windows like that? Surely it's better business sense to launch away from other major titles, thus avoiding stiff competition. I'm sure they're far more clued in than I am but it baffles me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Doesn't that strike you as odd, though? Why do they like to release in 2 month windows like that? Surely it's better business sense to launch away from other major titles, thus avoiding stiff competition. I'm sure they're far more clued in than I am but it baffles me.
    Christmas shopping is the huge driver in the industry. Traditionally a Christmas had to be packed before publishers were willing to shift schedules around to avoid competition. When you combine that with relatively few press releases a month or two before E3, and you get the summer drought.

Still makes no sense. Look at Tomb Raider & Bioshock. Both games have done exceedingly well, well out of the Christmas window. And most high profile titles tend to be released in Oct/Nov such as Skyrim and Battlefield, fairly well short of Christmas. I really don't think Christmas enters in to it.

Still makes no sense. Look at Tomb Raider & Bioshock. Both games have done exceedingly well, well out of the Christmas window. And most high profile titles tend to be released in Oct/Nov such as Skyrim and Battlefield, fairly well short of Christmas. I really don't think Christmas enters in to it.
    They do it because it's how they done things before. They all clump together into the same windows becasue they want to keep up with the neighbors.

It doesn't necessarily make sense ... but I don't think logic is their primary motive. Nor is that necessarily a bad thing.

Even without publishers saying "We want a game to release at the end of Q3 2013.", you can expect releases in clumps and not evenly spaced through naturally chaotic systems (traffic is the same, it is never evenly spaced), that just the way things are. This sort of thing is the bane of my job, everything always happens at once.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    It just seems that since Kickstarter took off it's all we ever hear about on RPS. And the frustrating thing is that hardly any games have come of it yet. So we hear previews of concepts, and not much else.
    I don't specifically mind the focus on small games, but the reporting on 'the industry' has mostly lost my interest. This isn't RPS-specific, other entertainment media like TV, movies and to a lesser degree books do this too, and seem to spend most of their time on products that haven't been released.

Earlier this year I changed by default bookmark to specifically bring up the reviews, or as they say, 'Wot I Think' - which I think has given me the best of both worlds: the interesting writing of the RPS staff, and only the topics that are relevant to me at the current time.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 20-04-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaydeeadi View Post
    We never found out what happened to Ian Football.
    I saw his name mentioned in connection with the Chelsea job.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Still hoping for that Lords of Football review.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 20-04-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    The problem with the WITs though is that they're starting to become fairly light on "What they think" and are starting to sound like advertisements or rants. The Papo and Yo article is a good example - the first half is a bunch of anecdotes which aren't particularly informative, the actual WIT doesn't really start until the last bit. I get the connection but I don't think it was necessary. Also although the review admits it has many flaws and is effectively a boring puzzler, it ends with "But it's still good and worth getting!" which is becoming the punchline to way too many indie reviews, not just on RPS but elsewhere. It's almost like "Well the execution is boring and if it was anything else we'd skip it, but it's indie and it's got art and style so it's great really go buy."
    I thought that was a pretty good WIT. It told people exactly what they needed to know to make their decision. It talked about the mechanics (good and mostly average) and it talked about the experience (points of amazing, but not fully sustained) and it said that for this particular game the plus points of the experience outweighed the negative points of the mechanics.

It's true (imho) that the new writers (mainly Nathan and Craig) do sometimes try a little too hard to write in a 'wacky/gonzo/punning' RPS style. But that's what new people often try to do to fit in. And they're only doing it because that's what RPS has always done and that's what people come here for. It's not something I'd complain about though, not by a long shot.

I mentioned it in the RPS Site forum, but I do think that now RPS has a lot more daily content, they need a 'Top Stories' category/feed so that those of us with less time we can keep up with the main news / features / reviews and avoid some of the less important 'game X has released another trailer' stories. Then again, it's tricky to select what counts as a top story.