Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 145
  1. #41
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I know he's not being serious, buy on the internet the line between acting like you're a prick and looking as an actual prick is very thin. He's not helping himself with these comments.
    The last comment that was just posted here IMO is crossing the line. As you say the line between amusing tool and outright prick is thin and hazy, and easily crossed.

    He's doing this to generate publicity of course, but I agree that if this is his sole trick (acting like a pretentious prick and angry indie angst!) then he's not going to last the distance.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

  2. #42
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    This in response to someone saying that selling game for 9$ (as in, 10% discount) is "pretentious".
    If a troll says your pretentious, best not give them quote bait in return? Should have been much more poetic justice. "The 10% presents the struggle between light and dark" and leave them confused and dazed. ;)

    PS, his edit to the post seems to show he says these things, and does not mean them. Still, is that good practice as a business owner. :P

    It's a bit like being told your going into business with the guy who use to be Ali G (Sacha Baron Cohen). While they are not their persona, you'd worry what might happen in a normal business meeting. Not from them, but from others thinking they are their persona. :P

    Right now, I'd consider Molyneux to at least be a better example. While he talks rubbish, it's at least not directed at his customers.

    That's quite a good point soldant. While entertaining, is the entertainment not suppose to be in the game! Make you wonder if he is up for something. ;)
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 24-04-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spellings

  3. #43
    Network Hub Granath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    245
    Maybe I'm just too old but I think that I'll avoid a game, no matter how good, when the developer calls his customers "ingrates" and "nerds" in a derogatory manner. FEZ looked somewhat interesting and while I think the developer came off badly in Indie Game: The Movie, I felt that he really wanted to make a great product. But I have no patience for insulting customers.

  4. #44
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    Maybe I'm just too old but I think that I'll avoid a game, no matter how good, when the developer calls his customers "ingrates" and "nerds" in a derogatory manner. FEZ looked somewhat interesting and while I think the developer came off badly in Indie Game: The Movie, I felt that he really wanted to make a great product. But I have no patience for insulting customers.
    You're being a baby.

  5. #45
    Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    550
    If this ends up in a PWYW bundle, I'm gonna buy it for 1 lousy cent. That'll teach him!

  6. #46
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13
    By editing his post he gets to call us idiots twice:

    You are idiots!

    I was just joking, man you are idiots.

  7. #47
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I remember when I first heard about Fez on 1up home of 'The Brodeo'

    *pours a 40oz*
    The comedy button did a Brodeo reunion podcast the other day. Was good to hear Shawn, Jeff, Ryan, Robert etc talking. I highly recommend tracking it down, if nothing more than for Jeff Greens tales of his fear of the weekly review meetings going south.

    As regards Fez...I did the steam pre-order as it was cheap. I rather imagined that it would be absurdly priced (£10+) but £6 isn't too bad.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 23-04-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

  8. #48
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    3,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    As regards Fez...I did the steam pre-order as it was cheap.
    Pretentiously cheap!

    (that should be a tagline)

  9. #49
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    If this ends up in a PWYW bundle, I'm gonna buy it for 1 lousy cent. That'll teach him!
    If only I could make it a stinky penny.

  10. #50
    Network Hub Stellar Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by benexclaimed View Post
    You're being a baby.
    Why, precisely? I can't speak for Granath, obviously, but speaking for myself:

    There are a metric fuck ton of games out there. More than I can ever play. I got games already I bought several years ago and haven't played yet. Why in the world would I then give money to a guy like that when there are so many other lovely indie people I could be sending my money?

    Now, I'll grant that I have never been interested in FEZ due to it being a platformer, but still, had I been, I'd have not bought it. I don't have infinite money and the money I do have, I prefer to spend on people I actually find nice. Which, incidentally is also why I've never been interested in Braid. Jon Blow really rubs me the wrong way. And again, Braid looks like a platformer so whatever.

    Right now, I could buy for copies of Resonance and send to friends for the same price as FEZ. That seems much better as Dave Gilbert is a classy guy and have been great the few times I've contacted him. So, why would I give money to Fish when I could do that? It's my money and I get to decide which criteria I use for spending them. One criteria is: don't give money to dicks.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

  11. #51
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,339
    Ok, but you do understand that a person's niceness has no baring on the quality of their games, right? And your criteria is a vague absolute. How gittish does a git have to be to be labelled a git? Does it matter if he's publicly seen as a git, or do you personally have to be offended by something they've said? What's the secret KFC recipe? What if the git is just one part of a larger team? Surely there's at least one git in every team, this one just happens to have a megaphone. So what company position does the git have to be in before you refuse to buy the game entirely - director, composer, janitor? If the number of gits reaches a certain number, say 3 gits, is that also a dealbreaker no matter what position they're in?

  12. #52
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,329
    Demanding objective justifications for subjective criteria is kinda funny (just like demanding consistency for them).

  13. #53
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,339
    Indeed, I'm being a bit of a git. Luckily I'm not making any games though.

  14. #54
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Ok, but you do understand that a person's niceness has no baring on the quality of their games, right?
    People have hated or (heh) "boycotted" otherwise good games simply because of who the developer or publisher is to the point of ignoring all merits just to make a point. This is no different, except it's Phil Fish, an indie dev acting like a prick for attention. I don't want to support him by buying the game, because I don't like him. Some people didn't want to buy BF3 because they didn't want to support EA. Some people didn't want to buy Modern Warfare because it didn't have dedicated servers OH LOL COULD NOT WRITE WITH STRAIGHT FACE HAR DE HAR DE HAR HAR HAR.

    Ahem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    What's the secret KFC recipe?
    Chicken.
    Tell no one...
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

  15. #55
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,339
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    People have hated or (heh) "boycotted" otherwise good games simply because of who the developer or publisher is to the point of ignoring all merits just to make a point. This is no different, except it's Phil Fish, an indie dev acting like a prick for attention. I don't want to support him by buying the game, because I don't like him. Some people didn't want to buy BF3 because they didn't want to support EA. Some people didn't want to buy Modern Warfare because it didn't have dedicated servers OH LOL COULD NOT WRITE WITH STRAIGHT FACE HAR DE HAR DE HAR HAR HAR.
    I would argue there is a degree of practicality behind most gaming boycotts at the moment. DRM shoved into a game which in some cases directly damages it (SimCity is an MMO my big blue behind), a franchise which has rapidly declined in quality, that sort of thing. Meanwhile boycotting someone for their dickish public comments... in terms of the impact on the game, might as well boycott Fish because of his favourite sexual position (mine's the full English breakfast). You've every right to if it offends you, but it has bugger all to do with a quality product. I'm almost certain the ending screen of Fez doesn't call you a gayass nerd. Almost.

    Not even sure what I'm trying to say here - my boycotts are better than yours?

  16. #56
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You've every right to if it offends you, but it has bugger all to do with a quality product.
    I never claimed it did, just that people will boycott and bitch and complain over the smallest issues, so I don't know why some people are a tad confused over why I wouldn't pay for Fez because I don't want money going to someone who I dislike.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

  17. #57
    Network Hub Stellar Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Ok, but you do understand that a person's niceness has no baring on the quality of their games, right? And your criteria is a vague absolute. How gittish does a git have to be to be labelled a git? Does it matter if he's publicly seen as a git, or do you personally have to be offended by something they've said? What's the secret KFC recipe? What if the git is just one part of a larger team? Surely there's at least one git in every team, this one just happens to have a megaphone. So what company position does the git have to be in before you refuse to buy the game entirely - director, composer, janitor? If the number of gits reaches a certain number, say 3 gits, is that also a dealbreaker no matter what position they're in?

    I don't think I claimed the behaviour of the dev has any relation to the quality of the game. I just said that the behaviour of the dev is the reason I don't want to buy FEZ and Braid. Both games might be shining paragons and the best games ever made but I still don't want to pay money to either creator.

    You might argue that I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face but I don't agree. I've got, as I said, finite money (and time) and it's not like I owe it to either developer to give them my money.

    As for the rest of your questions: that's a case by case evaluation. Most developers don't seem to be actively trying to insult their potential users though, so it's not often it's an issue. There was some Ubisoft guy though where I decided to pass over his game. I think it might have been The Last of Us? Some post apocalyptic one in any case.

    I should note: I don't consider this a boycot. I just don't buy the games. It's not some grand campaign or guided by any objectives. I just pick and choose where to spend my money.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

  18. #58
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    As far as dickish devs go: It all goes back to what I have been saying about DRM, stupid design decisions, mega-sales, and what not.

    Every game has a price that every player is willing to pay for it. For a really good game, most gamers are willing to pay close to retail (or even above for a collector's edition). For crap, they might demand they be paid before they pick it up.

    Bad DRM and asshole devs just modify that price. As an example: I love Splinter Cell COnviction. It is my second favorite Splinter Cell (Chaos Theory gets the win). I feel it captures the essence of the games almost perfectly AND is more believable than any other SC (Yes, Sam is gonna be killing more people. Because he doesn't have time to stare at blueprints for hours on end and doesn't have the guard shift schedules to plan around them). But it had Ubi-DRM at its worst, so that lowered it down to a 20-30 dollar price point in my eyes. The game itself is well worth 50-80, but other factors lower it.

    Same with this. Hell, same with Derek Smart and CliffyB and all the other assholes of the industry.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  19. #59
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,517
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Same with this. Hell, same with Derek Smart and CliffyB and all the other assholes of the industry.
    That's (Dr) Derek Smart. He has a PhD. Possibly.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

  20. #60
    You've every right to if it offends you, but it has bugger all to do with a quality product.
    It has an impact on how I perceive said product. I TRY not to buy from people or companies that are arseholes. It's the same reason why I often buy transfair products. Simply because I know that the laborers get their fair share of the benefice. Sometimes transfair products are even better (chocolate) and sometimes their are equal or worse (coffee). It is not the quality alone that counts.

    I know that I can not to this consistently, because I simply cannot know every producer of every product in the world. What counts for me is that I am conscious about what I buy or consume (most of the time).

    I haven't made up my mind about Phil Fish tho...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •