Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar

Grass is greener on the other side, so giraffes go a-grazing: Public Test Server

Well, the Public Test Server has been up for a while, and a few of us have been there to see what the future holds for Planetside2 in general and Giraffes grazing in particular.

First of all, the technicalities:
    • Client for SOE and Steam accounts is here.
    • Client for ProSieben accounts is here.

It will download about 7-8GB and set up a separate Planetside 2 installation, that you access through a separate launcher.

When you login, you start at BR1 as per usual, but with 10k Certs at your disposal, to spend as you see fit. No account wide unlocks apply at the Public Test Server though. Probably enough for a couple of classes and two vehicles, so you don't feel completely useless without your favourite tools.

Now, last night, Saturday 20/04/2013, 19:00 pm BST, there was a public battle flow test on Indar. Qazz, EsotericReverie and me joined the TVA platoon. We actually had some great fights. BRTD were there, and also one of the most reknown US TR outfits, Black Widow Company [BWC]. Qazz joined from the beginning, we joined after we finished with the rest of you guys an alert on Miller, at about 20:00pm BST.

The fight concentrated around Rashnu and the surrounding territories (from Crimson Bluff down to Valley Storage, and at a moment west to Zurvan Pump Station). Some really great fights, where the VS dominated. On a sidenote, it really proved that Miller is the hardcore mode server. The US outfits didn't seem so much of a threat as BRTD.

My impression of the experience is that it does provide for larger and more exciting battles. But it is a numbers game. The TVA attack from North to South, across the eastern edge of the map, never needed to worry about more than two territories: the one fought over, and the one on the flank. This way, it was easier for us to respond, concentrate forces and repel counteroffensives by BRTD and BWC.

Anyway, I think that as a gaming community of a site that goes beyond sponsored previews and such, and furher into analysing games, we should do an organized event there. Perhaps organise something with RTRS and PCG as well.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 21-04-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Network Hub
    I'm all for this. Crashing and bugs are the kind of thing that gets much more tolerable when you can laugh at squadmates clipping through the floor. The download size is just stupid, though. I'm bumping up against my hard drive's limits, but I'm sure I can cull some games I don't play any more. I'm pretty much down to PS2 and Solium Infernum anyway.

My experience going from Waterson to Miller is that Miller is definitely more organized. Waterson had maybe two outfits that gave a damn and the rest were just hoovering up newbies to become the largest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    8 GB is not stupid for a game of Planetside 2's scale. 30 GB for Max Payne 3, however...

Iiiiiinteresting. I'm always interested in "the future" and seeing what is in store for games, so I may actually be up for this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Whats this all about? Necessary new download or testing purposes only?

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Testing purposes only - it's the PS2 public test where you can see upcoming ideas being subjected to public consideration.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    8 GB is not stupid for a game of Planetside 2's scale. 30 GB for Max Payne 3, however...
    Stupid in the sense that a majority of those files already exist in my main PS2 directory and should just be accessed from there instead of needing a second copy. Is the test server really 8GB different from the main? I haven't followed the base changes too much and I assume that's most of the size.

No, it probably isn't, but for the coders, it's a terrible headache to keep track of which files to load from where. Much easier to just make two different installers. It's what I'd do certainly, rather than invest hundreds of hours into a competent system for keeping track of all the resource files. It does put a certain bit of extra strain on the players though.

Just like to say that getting the test server is incredibly important and will give you access to some exciting events in the future.

No specifics yet, but watch this space.

It's miller time on tour!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayam
    Everything is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflynumber View Post
    Just like to say that getting the test server is incredibly important and will give you access to some exciting events in the future.

No specifics yet, but watch this space.

It's miller time on tour!
    It would be great if we could have that as a decal on the PST!

Network Hub
    Installing! I'll see you guys on the next test, hopefully.

Lesser Hivemind Node

Harassers, Starfires, Zealot Overdrive, flamethrowers and grenade launchers for MAXes, plus the new lattice system. It will be a blast

Literally...

Network Hub
    Bump up because I'll be playing on Test this week. Come and join me! Let's see what the Lattice does for us!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Well up for this. Shall we arrange a time to get a couple of squads going? Tomorrow evening?

Network Hub
    I can't commit to a particular time, unfortunately. I've got a lot of odds and ends to do this week but I'm EST so I'll probably be around late (after 10) UK time.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think they usually do their official playests on saturdays at 1900 UTC. would be awesome if we could get a rps/tva platoon going again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I've finally got around to downloading & trying out the test server. Looking forward to fighting on it. Will try to drum up some kind of RPS/ TVA outing next time they announce an 'official' playtest time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I've got the bandwidth/HD space/free time for another large download. So I'll check it out.