Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar

Thank you, RPS, we got moderators. Now what to do with them...

This is an open post to Jim Rossignol and the rest of the RPS hivemind who frequent or at least look at the forums that we the RPS Planetside 2 community badly need a moderator for our sub-forum who can at the very least sticky important threads to the top of the sub-forum so they stop wandering off and getting lost.

Ideally this person could also close off/merge or at the very least discourage people from posting multiple threads which discuss the same topic. We currently have several topics, all discussing the same things with information scattered around them. Some of this information is repeated and some of it is buried and lost. Most of it is difficult to find.

I think it's agreed that with the success of our Call to Arms nights, which Mr. Rossignol had a huge part in by announcing and reminding everyone of them on the front page that our RPS PS2 community has grown. We have members in this sub-forum who joined the forums just so they could be appart of the RPS Vanu, NC and TR community. We have the youngest sub-forum of any of the sub-forums but it's already on it's way to being the largest with only the ARMA sub-forum containing more topics.

So please, could we get a moderator in here to help us out. To make it so that new players can easily find out important information such as how to join us, when we play, who we play, how to use mumble etc etc. So we can cut back on the cross topic conversations and the duplicate threads.

If you agree that we need a moderator (and I really hope you do), we would be happy to put forward members of our community for the task. I believe people have already been in contact with you about Cooper, the man who made this "mess" in the first place. He is a fine candidate and we have several others if needs be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be sending a link of this topic as well as a copy paste of the body of the post to Mr. Rossignol.
    It would be great if everyone who wants a mod could chip in here to show their support, and anyone willing to be a mod speak up. Anyone willing to support that person as a mod please speak up.

Personally off the top of my head, people I would see as being active and level headed enough to moderate the community are Ridebird, CMaster, Cooper, Esoteric, Mr.Eclectic. I would also nominate myself as I'm on this forum daily and wouldn't mind the job of keeping the place a bit tidier.

Please for the love of god can we keep all future discussion of a moderator to THIS THREAD ONLY!!!

Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 23-04-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

QuantaCat, Cooper, and MrEclectic all now have moderator powers. Please contact me direct via email (not via the forum) with any questions or concerns about this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Thank you Jim!
    Find me on the Steams

Thanks so very much for this Jim!

So now that we have our mods we need to decide what topics need to be given a sticky and what ones need to be merged.

As I said previously, I believe that we need guides on
    1) Our comms system, broken into two parts, one post for basic comms set up including the rules on when we use one channel or squad channels and a second for advanced comms set up (SL/RL).
    2) What outfits play what nights and what they do on those nights and how to join an outfit with us.
    3) A field manual on how to play the game, what icons to look out for, how to work as a team and a very top level explanation of classes, weapon types and vehicle types (ie, shotguns are good at X and bad at Y, not "this shotgun has a 0.0024% differential pull on the 3rd shot causing you to drag up").
    4) An ongoing AAR.

This topics should then be locked and only edited by the author of the guide or the mods. Alternatively they should link to a google doc, but I think keeping everything on the forum would be best.

Everything else will be popular enough to rise to the top (discussions, off topic) or serve it's course then float off to Valhalla (this topic and Quantas one on a sound dude).
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 23-04-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    This is brilliant, thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    ?!?!?!

How come I ended up as a moderator? And how come the more I play this game the more responsibilities I get? I'm not even a balloon leader, guddammit

OK, I guess I need to get to work... So, suggested subforums:
    -Outfit introduction/ guides: self-explanatory
    -Outfit organisation discussion: we discuss things here, and then they end up in the guide section
    -AARs, tactics and training: discussion of tactics, AARs and suggestions for training. Training schedules go in the guide section
    -Planetside2 discussion: state of the game, WAS, etc
    -Video & photography: self-explanatory
    -OOT: banter, introduce yourself, cooking, music, etc

EDIT: No subforum creation it seems. Let me look around what I can do...

EDIT2: OK, I can sticky, I can merge threads, change thread titles, move posts. Hm, ok
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 23-04-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Yes! We very much need someone who can enforce some order in the chaos thuis subforum has become. If it would be possible to also create a few further wubdivisions, that would be excellent. As it is, RPS, being the bigger of the outfits, keeps forgetting about our NC fellows, treating this place like our home, even though it's actually theirs too.

I wouldn't mind moderating to some extent, if it comes to that. I wouldn't mind if someone else did it either, though.

Edit: too late. Seems I won't have to. Nice, thanks Jim!

I'd just like to mention that I think sub-forums are totally not needed and that we shouldn't sticky or merge anything until we come to agreements on what's needed and what isn't.

Or we can all just fall under the boots of the mods! (and I'll never heal them again!)

Steam ID

Activated Node
    I agree that sub-forums are unnecessary here. We really should be able to do anything we need with judicious use of stickied threads and general thread organisaiton

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    If we can sticky threads, lack of subforums becomes much less of an issue.

Suggestions for sticky: new threads on
    • Outfits - where and who we are, how to join, events etc. Like Cooper's original, but cleaned up (locked)
    • One thread per outfit - Purple giraffes & whatever thread RTRS use the most for everyday discussion
    • RPS Mumble setup - locked and curated, describe in 1st post, with simplest words possible, how to play a grunt, a SL and a RO. 2nd post details for PL and how to play with strat setup.
    • Guides - locked and curated by someone, comments and suggestions for additions in some other thread

Edit: threads should have names that are clear, concise and free of puns. Just to make it easier to remember what they are supposed to be about.

Yes, you have a good point. So, it seems the way to go is to agree on the stickied posts.

The way we should probably go from now on is leave the posts we agree upon stickied and locked. Whenever a change is needed, we keep the discussion in one appropriate thread, the stickied post is amended when we come to a consensus, and so on. Perhaps the stickied post contains a link to the appropriate discussion thread.

Why to separate stickies and their discussions: the size of the threads may discourage some from reading them. It is also human nature, at least a few will continue reading down the thread, instead of reading the next sticky. When they do move on to the next, the information of the previous will be polluted with comments, and they may lack the concentration to read on.

We should aim for 5-7 stickies max, which will be the bear minimum we'd expect a newer member to have read. Whenever we decide upon a change, the amount of info to be absorbed remains the same. Especially for newer members, it should be clear that what they are reading are outfit guidelines and consensus, and not a mix of guidelines, comments and opinions.

Edit: Esoteric beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    If we can sticky threads, lack of subforums becomes much less of an issue.

Suggestions for sticky: new threads on
    • Outfits - where and who we are, how to join, events etc. Like Cooper's original, but cleaned up (locked)
    • One thread per outfit - Purple giraffes & whatever thread RTRS use the most for everyday discussion
    • RPS Mumble setup - locked and curated, describe in 1st post, with simplest words possible, how to play a grunt, a SL and a RO. 2nd post details for PL and how to play with strat setup.
    • Guides - locked and curated by someone, comments and suggestions for additions in some other thread

Edit: threads should have names that are clear, concise and free of puns. Just to make it easier to remember what they are supposed to be about.
    Yup, I've posted on this elsewhere, and came to virtually identical conclusions regarding stickying. The only one I wondered about is the "one thread per outfit" - they will always be busy, near the top, and are less about information and more about discussion.

Given that, I don't think we need more than three stickies at the moment, but happy to be disagreed with.
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Yes, you have a good point. So, it seems the way to go is to agree on the stickied posts.

The way we should probably go from now on is leave the posts we agree upon stickied and locked. Whenever a change is needed, we keep the discussion in one appropriate thread, the stickied post is amended when we come to a consensus, and so on. Perhaps the stickied post contains a link to the appropriate discussion thread.

Why to separate stickies and their discussions: the size of the threads may discourage some from reading them. It is also human nature, at least a few will continue reading down the thread, instead of reading the next sticky. When they do move on to the next, the information of the previous will be polluted with comments, and they may lack the concentration to read on.

We should aim for 5-7 stickies max, which will be the bear minimum we'd expect a newer member to have read. Whenever we decide upon a change, the amount of info to be absorbed remains the same. Especially for newer members, it should be clear that what they are reading are outfit guidelines and consensus, and not a mix of guidelines, comments and opinions.
    Agreed on several points. Big topics are not for sticky's. Sticky's are for information, not discussion. If a topic is worth discussion (such as the WAS thread) it'll always find it's way to the top. Big topics can be daunting to new people.

All guides should be locked as we've all said and your suggestion of a link to the location for discussion is a good one.

@Eso, I don't think each group/faction needs it's own sticky. One sticky to explain all the groups can be broken into three posts, one vanu, one tr, one nc, each explaining when they play, how to join, what they're about etc. And again, there shouldn't be discussion in that sticky.

Steam ID

You could have an 'Index Thread' of some of the bigger discussions to quickly signpost people to particular things they may want to talk/ask questions about, ie the WAS thread.

Jesus_Phish, you explain things more eloquently than me.
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
    You could have an 'Index Thread' of some of the bigger discussions to quickly signpost people to particular things they may want to talk/ask questions about, ie the WAS thread.
    That's a superb idea

It has been posted elsewhere, but to preoccupied with other stuff now to look for it. Anyway, as Eso pointed out, we need:
    • Giraffe Outfit introduction: description, recruitment info and list of main events
    • Traitors Outfit introduction/guide: whatever they decide upon
    • Giraffe Mumble setup
    • Giraffe Outfit guides:
      • Giraffe calf cert guide
      • Weapon systems recommendations/guide
      • Giraffe Relations Department

• TACGIR description and details
    • Planetside 2 resources: links to sites with useful info and tools

Each of these should have one and only one thread where amendments, corrections etc are discussed. Even if there are other relevant threads. For instance, for weapons, WAS is the general thread, where we discuss what we like etc. Then a weapons guide discussion thread, where we discuss what needs to be changed in the guide, and the guide itself, which is stickied, locked and curated by a moderator when we arrive at a consensus about what needs to be changed.

Also, please suggest which threads should be merged.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 23-04-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Index thread is a must /imho
    From my experience on of the most usefull threads in a forum with high post counts. Makes finding the right threads and discussions way easier. But needs someone to keep it up to date if anything increadibly important comes up. But I think we have everything covered so far.
    Last edited by bonkers; 23-04-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

"Rock, Planet, Shogtun: Outfit discussion / organisation / purple giraffes of awesome" - Should be called 'Call to Arms discussion' or something, trawling through 68 pages is not good for anyone.

It depends - I always tend to favour brevity, in which case I'd merge the Giraffes and Traitors into one "RPS on Planetside" thread, keep the outfit guides as one thread, and stick TACGIR in either Mumble setup or "RPS on Planetside".

But having a few more threads wouldn't be a bad thing.
    On Steam - Kyndylan