Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    It has been posted elsewhere, but to preoccupied with other stuff now to look for it. Anyway, as Eso pointed out, we need:
    • Giraffe Outfit introduction: description, recruitment info and list of main events
    • Traitors Outfit introduction/guide: whatever they decide upon
    • Giraffe Mumble setup
    • Giraffe Outfit guides:
      • Giraffe calf cert guide
      • Weapon systems recommendations/guide

• TACGIR description and details
    • Planetside 2 resources: links to sites with useful info and tools

Also, please suggest which threads should be merged.
    Topics 1 and 2 - I'll keep saying it, but I think these should just be merged together into a single topic, one post per faction, each post following the same structure of who we fight for, what that factions all about, what nights we operate and what we do on those nights, who to contact/how to go about joining.
    Topic 3 - I'm not sure what the traitors use, but isn't it similar to us only they don't get as many? It should just be mumble set up and have a post for basic users, another for advanced users and another for general rules of mumble. Or one big long post.
    Topic 4 a/b - I think a "field" guide as I mentioned would be best. This can be a big long piece that covers everything PS2 from a top level. What do symbols mean, what do tanks do, whats the difference between a libby and a sundy, what they hell does barney mean, why can't I use a sniper as a medic and so on. First post can be an index, next few posts each topic from that index (classes, weapon types, vehicle types, base types, tactics, certs, terminology, anything else I forgot).

The other two are solid.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Topics 1 and 2 - I'll keep saying it, but I think these should just be merged together into a single topic, one post per faction, each post following the same structure.
    I do not agree, because the Traitor post would get buried beneath the Giraffe one, or vice versa. They both need and deserve to be spot-lighted.

Topic 3 - I'm not sure what the traitors use, but isn't it similar to us only they don't get as many? It should just be mumble set up and have a post for basic users, another for advanced users and another for general rules of mumble. Or one big long post.
    The Traitors's setup is much simpler than ours, due to their smaller size. Also, they don't make heavy use of ACLs, to set up the whispers server-side. I'll go and post in their outfit thread, pointing to this one, so they can themselves explain how they want their info to be presented. As for ours, I think it deserves its own post. One place for one group of info.

Topic 4 a/b - I think a "field" guide as I mentioned would be best. This can be a big long piece that covers everything PS2 from a top level. What do symbols mean, what do tanks do, whats the difference between a libby and a sundy, what they hell does barney mean, why can't I use a sniper as a medic and so on. First post can be an index, next few posts each topic from that index (classes, weapon types, vehicle types, base types, tactics, certs, terminology, anything else I forgot).
    Good point. Perhaps an index to Google Docs guides (Qazz has done a weapons guide in Google Docs, based on the Can I graze that thread).

The other two are solid.
    Thanks

Also, Purple Giraffes of Awesomeness should be a separate thread from Outfit Organisation discussion. The first should be for the aforementioned awards, and for generally discussing cool moments, and the latter for outfit organisation. Mixing the two has been a nightmare.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Wow Jim got on that one fast. Nice!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I...

...like the idea of an index thread!

...agree that outfit introductions can be merged into one thread.

... do not think Traitors use our Mumble setup. They are usually not many enough to warrant that kind of effort of organisation.

...agree that TACGIR concept and how-to-play should be included in general comms thread.

...really think the threads should contain outfit names and tags, not puns and in-jokes that are going to be opaque to someone new.

[edit] ... agree that awards should be split from organisation of RPS. None of which should be stickied, since they should be discussion threads, not information threads.

Overall, I'm a very happy puppy!
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 23-04-2013 at 05:02 PM.

And it just occurred to me... You got a mod for a mod.
    clarks.jpg
    Which posts to sticky? And which pair to buy? Dilemmas...

I do not agree, because the Traitor post would get buried beneath the Giraffe one, or vice versa. They both need and deserve to be spot-lighted.
    Thanks
    But the very first post could link to two further posts, one containing vanu info, one containing NC. The reader just has to click which one they're after (e.g here's the 2nd and 3rd posts on this thread)

That can work in any sticky that may apply to more than one faction here. I reckon keeping the number of stickies to a minimum is really key. There's nothing worse than going to look at a clan forum and having a wall of stickies to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    But the very first post could link to two further posts, one containing vanu info, one containing NC. The reader just has to click which one they're after (e.g here's the 2nd and 3rd posts on this thread)

That can work in any sticky that may apply to more than one faction here. I reckon keeping the number of stickies to a minimum is really key. There's nothing worse than going to look at a clan forum and having a wall of stickies to contend with.
    Good point. I retract my objection.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I posted in another thread but just to cross-post here:

I really think we actually only need three stickied threads:

1) Mumble setup. A locked thread that details how to set up the Mumble system the way that we use it for VS. This should be the top thread in the forum (it's the first thing we ask people to do).

2) A locked, stickied VS Outfit thread. This can contain whatever information is determined to be relevant for people just coming to the outfit and need to know where we play, when we play, how we play, all that jazz etc. This thread should of course contain the two rules of all gaming everywhere:
    - Don't be a dick
    - Be awesome to each other.

3) A locked, stickied NC Outfit thread with whatever information those guys feel is relevant and important (their much simpler Mumble setup or whatever).

That's it.

Each thread should be locked, and should contain only final information, without any of the discussion that usually precedes it. Links to the websites, YouTube channels, Evernote guides and everything else can all be culled from the other discussions and put into these three threads.

Then whatever else happens, the first thing people see on coming to the Planetside 2 sub-forum is how to talk to us and how to find us. We're that big now you can pretty much get online at any point in time and find people online who can give advice on stuff, but getting Mumble working and finding us in game are the two big first hurdles.

Stuff about TACGIR, weapons, all that jazz, can stay separate and unstickied. It's just not vital information for anyone that doesn't use the boards regularly and isn't already involved with the RPS PS2 community/outfit.
    Last edited by sketchseven; 23-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    You, friend, are clever!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Yeah that's pretty much what I mean in Sinomatic's post.

Both Vanu, TR and if we ever get one NC posts would contain the same structure and get the same amount of spotlight.

As for the mumble one, although they don't use our comms set up of splitting into squads or RL PL SL etc, they at least must use mumble right? In that case it's easy enough to say "this is how to set up mumble, this is how you look for a group and join in mumble" right?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yaaay!

Totally agree. Ideally I would only like to see one sticky for each faction, general outfit info (how to join, mumble details etc etc) can all be linked to from there.

And it just occurred to me... You got a mod for a mod.
    clarks.jpg
    Are you sure that's not an image of Jemaine Clement?

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    You, friend, are clever!
    I have my moments.

The link solution can work for many things beyond just different faction info too. For instance take the calves guide - you can break that down into different posts for different classes/general tips/vehicle info etc, and then just have a handy index of links in the first post.

Basically, I'm all for anything that improves the readability of info (no huge long posts holding several topics), and makes finding that info as fast as possible.

I think we need to make it clear that one thread is how to join...if we just had an "RPS Vanu" and "RPS Terran Republic" thread that wouldn't be entirely self evident.
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Subforums are probably not needed, the majority of NC chatter goes on in 2 threads.

What I do think we should have is, as has already been described; a mumble details thread, a VS intro thread and an NC intro thread. Amalgamate any useful tip threads into a stickied and locked thread, with a contents page for each topic.

Let the chatter juggerthreads bump themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayam
    Everything is a thing.

dear me, missed this thread completely. I already stickied something.

these are my suggestions, btw. I dont want to clutter it up.

Also, I repaired coopers spelling in the outfit organisation thread. dont think it should be stickied, though.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    As for the mumble one, although they don't use our comms set up of splitting into squads or RL PL SL etc, they at least must use mumble right? In that case it's easy enough to say "this is how to set up mumble, this is how you look for a group and join in mumble" right?
    I'm inclined to lean with this. All bar the nuances of your command structure are identical re: mumble, and I'm sure explaining which subchannels to go into at which times is easier explained over VoIP than it is in text.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

more than currently stickied? or is it fine?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    dear me, missed this thread completely. I already stickied something.
    Actually what it is now looks great - Mumble Comms and Planetside 2: Outfits, outings & other details. All we really need, right?

Personally, I liked the idea of new threads that contained just the relevant information and were then locked...but that's just me.
    On Steam - Kyndylan