Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

[VS] Discussion of the Giraffe Guides - Certification and Equipment

RPS Equipment Guide:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...508F9BtEw7G-jE

RPS Certification Guide:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kp1bvJ6d_Di1pf7VXsX5c_fzkNuhNIQOg7Ksotsgahg/

I'm trying to get a collaborative cert guide going that will serve as first point of reference for anyone who's kew and/or unsure what certs to get on which classes.

So far, bonkers has done some great work on the guide, but it'd be great if more people contributed. On that note, don't edit text from other people out at this stage. If you have a different opinion, or you'd like to add something, annotate your entry with your name (>>qazz).

Here's the link:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Ksotsgahg/edit
    Last edited by qaz; 18-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Network Hub
    Added Cert Mechanics, Engineer, Heavy Assault and Scythe sections.

I'd appreciate it if ElevenVS or another ~pro pilot~ could look over the Scythe section, as I've only a few dozen hours in the thing (compared to a couple of hundred for HA & Engie)

ps i am bad at sleeping
    Last edited by cfftble; 24-04-2013 at 04:28 AM.

I've added a bit to the section about the Combat Medic. It's essentially stolen straight from the wiki but I found it extremely useful and I really like the format so I copied it over. It can edited by more veteran medics if need be.
    "Time is a companion, travelling with us on the journey of life, to remind us to cherish each moment as it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Wrote something about weapons for the sniper, feel free to clean it up though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I can't edit the google doc from work but I'll add this in when I get home (unless anyone else wants to edit/upload before then):

Light Assault

Where to spend your first 221 Certification points:

• 160 Points - Rank 3 in Jump Jets under Ability slot
    • 61 Points - Rank 3 Nanoweave armour

What does spending your point this way provide?

• Jump jet fuel capacity increased 16%
    • Jump jet regeneration speed increased 24%
    • Health increased 61%
    • With this set up you'll have the ability to play the light assault as a flanker, exploiting height to gain positions for firing on the enemy without them knowing you're there. The nanoweave will keep you alive slightly longer if/when your position is compromised and you need to move on.

What to buy now?

• C4 (200 Certs for the first block, another 500 Certs for the second) - not essential to play as a flanker but useful for taking out Maxes and Sunderers. Plus it's loads of fun! Remember that you now need to stay alive to trigger the C4, it de-spawns when you re-spawn.
    • More jump jets (ranks 4 and 5 costing 150 Certs and 500 Certs respectively) - the last level is useful but very costly so is something for further down the line when you've already got a lot of the basics Certed.
    • Med kit (rank 1) - 50 Certs to be able to restore your health whilst up a tree behind enemy lines is literally a life saver.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Should point out that medkits replace C4, if you have both certed.

Similarly to WallyTrooper, I can't edit the Google doc while I'm at work.

My addition is just a comment, however, so it doesn't matter really.

There are currently two styles of entry:
    • A brief guide, of which WallyTrooper's post above is an excellent example
    • A longer guide with more explanation, as per the Infiltrator entry as it stands at the moment.

My opinion is that currently the focus should be on the briefer form, and if people want to start contributing to a longer and more in depth guide to roles and certs then that should be a seperate document.

Having said that, I'm not actually likely to be contributing much to either (apart from some proofreading, perhaps) so take me with a pinch of salt .
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndylan View Post
    Having said that, I'm not actually likely to be contributing much to either (apart from some proofreading, perhaps) so take me with a pinch of salt .
    This was a rather tasty Kyndylan, just needs a pinch of salt...

Network Hub
    If this is going to be long-form, we may as well fold the what-to-buy guide into it, and just give each class a page or two.

True. Can you insert internal hyperlinks in a Google Doc? Then there could be an initial contents page that takes you straight to the class/vehicle that you're interested in.
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Lesser Hivemind Node
    after the content is in, we'll need an editing pass to trim the fat and unify the style a little. after that's done both docs will get a final review/comment pass, and then we can decide. ideally i'd like to see 1 page per class, at most. I've added a toc that should make navigating things easier. an intro text will be added too.

overall, i'd like to see those two remain separate for the simple reason that a combined doc might be too overloaded with infos.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    ideally i'd like to see 1 page per class, at most.
    Yeah, it seems like it could be more valuable to new giraffes as a 'what to cert' guide, rather than as a general, sprawling class guide.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    We now have like four threads for one thing again. We need less threads, not more. May I suggest a sticky with cert+sc guide (this?), weapon/cert discussion, sc deals, etc. This guide in the first post.
    Find me on the Steams

Network Hub
    the usual way for this kind of document to work (from reading reams of technical notices) is for an overview section to introduce all the chapters (1 per class or class variant in this case) and provide a hyperlink to the chapter itself (long-form class guide).
    If you can fit the overview onto a single page you get 'Classes at a glance' with links to the long study of each.

Of course, if people want to write a sprawling class guide, then by all means do so! I know I'd enjoy reading it.

But yes, let's keep the one currently being worked on as a more light weight primer.
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    overall, i'd like to see those two remain separate for the simple reason that a combined doc might be too overloaded with infos.
    In that case, how about restricting this guide to say the first 250 certs, some vague recommendations as to where to go next, and a recommendation as to a ~250-cert weapon each class can upgrade to?

Then the equipment guide can be adapted to a general class guide, with advice on which trees are worth max'ing out, which weapons are worth buying, and any neat tricks that each class can pull off. The assumption being that if you're reading the equipment guide rather than the cert guide, you've got ~1,000 certs or 700 SC ready to go, you're invested in the game, and as such won't be put off by a wall of text.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    We now have like four threads for one thing again. We need less threads, not more. May I suggest a sticky with cert+sc guide (this?), weapon/cert discussion, sc deals, etc. This guide in the first post.
    Get a new thread for that. Lock it down, and keep all discussion out of it, as was discussed in the "what to do with our moderators" thread. This thread is already too long and filled with things that will only confuse a new player.

The fact that we have four threads about the same general kind of thing is not going to be a problem, since they are discussion threads. Discussion threads will live for as long as they are relevant, and before they die out, the pertinent information should have been incorporated into one of the guides included linked to in the stickied and locked thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    In that case, how about restricting this guide to say the first 250 certs, some vague recommendations as to where to go next, and a recommendation as to a ~250-cert weapon each class can upgrade to?

Then the equipment guide can be adapted to a general class guide, with advice on which trees are worth max'ing out, which weapons are worth buying, and any neat tricks that each class can pull off. The assumption being that if you're reading the equipment guide rather than the cert guide, you've got ~1,000 certs or 700 SC ready to go, you're invested in the game, and as such won't be put off by a wall of text.
    I like this plan!

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Get a new thread for that. Lock it down, and keep all discussion out of it, as was discussed in the "what to do with our moderators" thread. This thread is already too long and filled with things that will only confuse a new player.

The fact that we have four threads about the same general kind of thing is not going to be a problem, since they are discussion threads. Discussion threads will live for as long as they are relevant, and before they die out, the pertinent information should have been incorporated into one of the guides included linked to in the stickied and locked thread.

I like this plan!
    I like this post!
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I think class guides could be made smaller if we take all the common features out and put them in their own sections. For example, the armour certs.

Armour is almost always a matter of taste. Whoever wrote the medic guide suggests using Flak armour and gives a good reason as to why. But it mentions nothing of the other armour certs. I personally like nanoweave because it makes medics capable of absorbing more damage from almost every other source. Combined with the regen device you can become very tanky.

It'd also mean that information isn't lost or repeated anywhere. You wouldn't be telling the LA and the Medic to both be using Flak and write out the same paragraph twice.

Perhaps something like this could be used.

ˇ Introduction
    ˇ Class (an overview of the roles of each class and suggested builds + class only certs)
    o Heavy
    o Medic
    o Light Assault
    o Engineer
    o Infiltrator
    ˇ Vehicles (same as class)
    o Air
    § Lib
    § Gal
    § Scythe
    o Ground
    § Sundy
    § Flash
    § Lightning
    § Mag
    ˇ Weapons (same as class)
    o Infantry
    § Pistols
    § Shotguns
    § SMGs
    § Assault Rifles
    § Etc
    § Etc
    § etc
    o Vehicles
    § Primary
    § Secondary
    § Tertiary
    § Fourthery!
    ˇ Certifications (this is where we put info on shared certs so we don't have repeating info)
    o Shared Class Certs
    § Armour
    § Utility
    § Grenades
    o Shared Vehicle Certs
    § Are there any apart from pull timers?
    o Shared weapon certs
    § Rails
    § Scopes
    § Barrel
    § That other one
    ˇ Base types
    ˇ Map icons
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Likewise for the Flash guide:

Flash

Where to spend your first 121 Certification points:

• 41 Points - Rank 3 acquisition timer in Passive systems
    • 50 Points - Rank 1 scout radar in Utility
    • 30 Points - Rank 1 vehicle stealth in Defense slot

What does spending your point this way provide?

• Acquisition timer reduced by 90 seconds
    • Enemies within 25 meters of the flash show up on the map of nearby allies
    • Your flash does not show up on enemy maps
    • Lock on acquisition time increase by 0.25 seconds for enemy lock on launchers
    • This load out gives you a basic radar flash and ready means of transport useful across short distances or for getting behind enemy lines.

What to buy now?
    What to buy next depends on how you will use the flash:

Mobile radar

• Max out scout radar (ranks 2, 3 and 4 costing respectively 100, 200 and 400 Certs and extending radar range to 50, 75, 100 meters).

Transport

• Racer high speed chassis in the Performance slot - the more you Cert into this the more fun it gets jumping over minor bumps. It also helps when redeploying over short distances or moving into flanking positions.
    • Switch out the scout radar for the NFI-2000 Turbo rank 1 - having the boost will allow you to get over otherwise impossibly steep gradients though it doesn't last long so works best for short bumps and ridges rather than an ongoing mountainside. The turbo is actually a better option for hill climbing than the rival chassis with the torque mechanics as they are, it also keeps the performance slot free for the racer chassis.