Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Xbox720 always on requirement not just a rumour?

The Creative Director at Microsoft Game Studios posted a few interesting tweets today that add some sort of weight to the omnipresent rumours about the new Xbox requiring an internet connection at all times in order to run an app or play a game.

What a fucking tit.

Network Hub
    What an asshole.

Oh, this could be fun to watch.
    I have no idea wht he allowed it, but penguins like the artic orcheanograby. Gare ams and losw as shwacricicaal. I haven't figured out the moral of this stay, are. y, Basefallwih ough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Holy crap. I already didn't intend to buy a 720, but now I'm tempted to get a PS4 simply out of spite. Jesus.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I already didn't intend to buy a 720
    You're writing it off without knowing anything about it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I live in the island Manhattan which, by all accounts, is the center of the known universe.

Time Warner's cable service has cut out twice this year already, and it's fucking April.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I'm sure they got such wonderful feedback on Fable III being always online that they decided to go with it for everything.

Makes me happy I own a PS3.
    ...and whoever does not want to die of thirst among men must learn to drink out of all cups;
    and whoever would stay clean among men must know how to wash even with dirty water.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    My favorite bit:
    Quote Originally Posted by @JWagner3
    @adam_orth 1) my Internet connection isn't always reliable and 2) I like to decide how I use my products, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by @adam_orth
    @JWagner31 True, I guess it is up to you if you want to make a smoothie with a chainsaw.
    The pomp is strong with this one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I hope people will bitch and moan about the next Xbox being always online and then it's revealed and it works offline. Just to see everyone feeling stupid for wasting months and tons of bile on rumours and speculation.

Either that or they'll claim their bitching is what convinced Microsoft to not go always online.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    If this does happen, and I'll be gob-smacked if MS do actually go with it, 720 launch day is going to be marvellous​.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    and it works offline.
    Just like SimCity!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    I heard about this (rumour) earlier, and it was shitty enough (for xbox owners; I'm a grudging playstation man if forced into consoleland) then, but holy crap that guy's a cunt about it.

And, uh, I'm pretty sure total internet downtime is a LOT higher than total electricity outage. Even with our decrepit and decaying north american infrastructure.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Ha, my connection went down for about five minutes while I was reading this thread. Although they come and go, these hiccups are par for the course with Comcast: this is probably the tenth time this week. I live just outside of Philadelphia.

Banned
    Hold on, by "always on" he means "always online" and unusable if the connection is not maintained?

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Hold on, by "always on" he means "always online" and unusable if the connection is not maintained?
    Was there another way to interpret that?

...well, come to think of it, the alternative is that the console is always running, collecting information about the habits of the people in the living room with its pinhole camera and feeding that information to its parent company and any participating advertising agencies. Big Brother is here, and it's privatized!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Yes. There have been rumours circulating for around a month that the next gen xbox will require an active internet connection in order to let you use apps/play games.

I think much about modern gaming is fantastic but I hate the direction it's heading in. This is one reason I love being a retro gamer (that and I just love old games...it's like playing a piece of history).
    It might come to be nothing and that would be good. But if it does go into effect then that will suck massivly. I need to see if AlphaOmegaSin has done a rant about this lol.

If you don't know AlphaOmegaSin you should look him up on youtube...he makes rant videos about stupid shit developers do. He's smart and funny and looks like an awesome guy to game with. (no homo)

Personally I would be thoroughly surprised if the 720 wasn't always-online. That's the direction all the big companies have been shooting at for years now.

problem with always online isnt so much with people having unreliable internet connection, its consumer being dependent on infrastructure he has no control over i.e. the servers and whatnot. look at simcity and diablo - twas a fiasco cause the servers shat themselves. and in reality unless the online service is working 100% perfectly (which it never does yet) it will not be worth it. companies are overestimating the thechnology we currently have, its ok but not perfect. and for always online to be bearable it pretty much has to be that.
    Last edited by grasskit; 05-04-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The other question that needs to be answered is if they are going to do DRM on the discs. Sure, you can make the console always on, but are they going to force to tie the disc to your Xbox (much like buying something on Steam of Xbox live, but with a physical disc).

Sony said its unlikely but they have not been really firm with that no.