Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Pope's the developer's surname actually :)
    The best jokes are those that you need to explain!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    This one's just rumours but Pope might also cut off mod support.
    I don't know if it really needs it. Not every game needs mod support just for the hell of it after all.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Isnt the point of the nudity so it does make you uncomfortable and it comments on the whole security versus personal privacy thing. Also get a grip its only a pixelated willy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Isnt the point of the nudity so it does make you uncomfortable and it comments on the whole security versus personal privacy thing.
    Uh huh. It's another layer to this depressively bleak enviroment which is made to feel quite uncomfortable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I had to quit playing after 8 days because I started hating them. All of them. As an emigrant myself having dealt with bureaucracy several times it just felt wrong. I rushed my checks, damned them for being slow, started trusting my instincts, got caught in the narrative, and became extremely efficient with my workspace.

Awesome idea, great execution, manipulative bastardly smart narrative.
    Last edited by pakoito; 03-05-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, the evil is not the people here. It's the person who decided a que of 100s of travelers must be seen by 1 guy with no assistance beyond a rule book. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    It is a novel idea, but does this have any replay value ? Is anything in the game randomized ? It looks like you can just memorize (or write down) all the invalid people.
    pass

Obscure Node
    Well, I played the demo 3 times, one after another. It was still fun for me. If you like mechanics, you'll have fun regardless some things happening again

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    It is a novel idea, but does this have any replay value ? Is anything in the game randomized ? It looks like you can just memorize (or write down) all the invalid people.
    Seems to be minor differences so you still have to check the passports of most, but the story characters (the club girls, the funny guy who tries to get in with a crayon passport and keeps wasting your time) are always exactly the same.

I was at TIGSource yesterday in the development thread and he stated that he'd rather get the narrative right than improve replayability. But that in any case there will be an endless mode without story.

I would say he should definitly because this is one of those games that you can hold up and say this is how you do narrative in games the whole gameplay is the narrative and further the themes of it which is awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I would say he should definitly because this is one of those games that you can hold up and say this is how you do narrative in games the whole gameplay is the narrative and further the themes of it which is awesome.
    No, because it's barely a game. "Animated movie" is a more accurate description. If I watch "Argo" on my computer instead of DVD, it doesn't make it a game either.

In this piece of software, theme&text is everything. If you replace all characters with '*' and images with abstract symbols, no one will ever "play" it.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 03-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    pass

I object, it is a game. You have to deal with as much people as possible in little time, or else your family dies. It's about optimizing space and time. The graphics are part of the gameplay too, the pictures, the fingerprints, the stamps...everything works with the game.

It is also theme-heavy, but I see the game below it.

Wohoo, the Game-Not-Game Debate!

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Wohoo, the Game-Not-Game Debate!
    There's a lightyear leap between this and Dear Esther.

Its a game I do stuff in it I don't just look at pretty pictures so yeah.

No, because it's barely a game. "Animated movie" is a more accurate description. If I watch "Argo" on my computer instead of DVD, it doesn't make it a game either.

In this piece of software, theme&text is everything. If you replace all characters with '*' and images with abstract symbols, no one will ever "play" it.
    I think the most accurate description of Papers, Please would be "Simulation". If this was an interactive movie, it would be like Heavy Rain and you'll know how different those games are together
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Reminds me a bit of Cart Life - http://www.richardhofmeier.com/cartlife/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar

Normally I take the "this isn't a game" side (Dear Esther is not a game for example) but Papers Please definitely is. It has a clear challenge, it has a clear fail state (a proper one, not an arbitrary "went out of bounds" type), it has actual gameplay rules and mechanics... it's a game. That's very different from Dear Esther where there is no challenge or opposition, the fail state is entirely irrelevant, and there are no real gameplay mechanics beyond walking through a virtual diorama.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Network Hub
    I just played the first few days (stopped just after getting the body scanner mechanic) and now I'm wondering - is it possible to 'win'?

Because there's a *lot* of things to check for each person, and you only get $5 for each person you let in, and you get fined for getting it wrong, so it would seem like you have to approve about 8 people a day to just barely keep your family alive.

I can only just scrape through about 10 people total, so that usually nets me about 5/6 people approved and a meagre $30 at the end of the day. It seems set up to make you fail - but is that part of the narrative or do I just suck?