Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

I am the only person that doesn't get monaco, AMA

After years of waiting, of talking to Andy on twitter, of countless videos, pictures, screenshots, videoblogs and blog entries, Monaco has been released.

I am not amused by it. I'm 15 missions in and I don't get it.

I read that article about how it's not about stealth game but a pacman with an extra dimension and I still don't get it.

I have tried single and multiplayer, and completing levels at 100% with different characters and I still don't get it.

Ask me anything.
    Last edited by pakoito; 25-04-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    What's Monaco?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    What's Monaco?
    Winner of many awards, a indie hit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/113020/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    What's Monaco?

Alternatively
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes, you're the only one in the world.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    After years of waiting, of talking to Andy on twitter, of countless videos, pictures, screenshots, videoblogs and blog entries, Monaco has been released. I am not amused by it. I'm 15 missions in and I don't get it. I read that article about how it's not about stealth but a pacman with an extra dimensions and I still don't get it. I have tried single and multiplayer, and completing levels at 100% with different characters and I still don't get it. Ask me anything.
    Ah. Sad to hear that. It's only the latest videos that looked like "pacman" (never made the connection, but nice!) IMO. So glad I did not get it just yet. I'd prefer stealth/puzzle gaming my self. Something more FTL/Gunpoint. I'll wait and see what playthroughs look like, but it's still in my "to get" list.

It's a brilliant game with one fatal flaw - it's way to lenient on those who get caught.

Fortunately, I'm totally messed up and won't allow myself to finish a level after rising an alarm, so that's okay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have one word to describe it: contrived.

I feel like playing in a old 486 and having to reduce resolution and play with a joystick.
    Learning the controls is hard, because are designed for a control pad. Fuck control pads.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. Its okay :D

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Learning the controls is hard, because are designed for a control pad. Fuck control pads.
    Really? I seem to have no issue controlling the game with WASD and mouse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    The stealth reminds me of Metal Gear Solid. You can quite often sprint past guards and as long as you don't stand there dancing you'll be out of sight before they come to investigate. And when you do get caught they'll forget about you once you turn a corner. Hoping the difficulty ramps up in later levels.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    It's okay, I don't understand the appeal either. But I don't have to like every game so that's okay.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The thing which puts me RIGHT off (apart from the co-op thing which has never been high on my list of things a game must offer) is the 'line of sight' stuff - I've never gotten-on with that "hiding things in 2D you'd not see in 3D" idea.

It's alongside putting raindrops on your eyes in terms of being pointless and stupid - the first game I ever saw it on was Nox and whilst I love Nox, it would have been a better game without it.

It's brain-bending and makes little sense in most cases

I finished the first storyline, so to speak.

My problem with the game is that it's neither a puzzle nor a stealth game, I misunderstood the core of the game after literally tens of hours going through the previews. I hear people saying map design is brilliant, where I only find nonoptimal solutions or character/situation combinations leading to roadblocks. It probably is balanced for coop, and gun&run approach, or maybe it's not balanced or minmaxable and that's what bugs me off.

I prefer Hotline Miami, despite having played less, because it tickles me better.
    Last edited by pakoito; 26-04-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It's brain-bending
    That's kinda the point?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    That's kinda the point?
    Giving me a migraine just to show-off your occlusion maths is the point? :)

Network Hub
    Ok I gave this a quick try (just one mission) so I can't comment on the game design yet but I'll say the low-fi graphics (a trend of indie games nowadays I guess??) lack too much definition. I don't mean aesthetically-wise, I mean they lack definition to the point it interferes with usability. The levels are actually quite complex visually and the low definition sometimes makes it hard to figure out your surroundings, making stuff look like just a bunch of pixels
    Last edited by ZIGS; 26-04-2013 at 04:13 AM.

I played the first few missions with a couple of good friends last night, and had a really good time. The hilarious Benny Hill-esque chases that occur when someone accidentally trips an alarm, hiding in bushes, trying to sneak back into the building to revive your teammates when they're down for the count... Good times.

I haven't really played any co-op stealth games before, so this is quite a unique experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Do you have friends ? The game is designed for multiplayer.
    pass

What's Monaco?
    Classic racing game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xT_MK83oaw

Saw the review on eurogamer last night but haven't had chance to read it yet. It looks interesting, for me falls into the category of "interesting indie title" which is so numerous in members that I'll probably never have the time to play most of them.