Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

[VS] Reviving vehicle gameplay -- The armored giraffe squad

It's been ages since i've done some proper tank driving, and i'm kind of unhappy with that. The meta has shifted from MBT columns to infantry only, all the time. Yet, i'd still like to get back to tanking simply because I enjoy it quite a lot.

If there's sufficient interest, i'd be up for opening a squad that will focus purely on vehicle play for the better part of the night. As there's pesky things like timers and resources, we'd team up in crews of two, and alternately pull liberators and magriders all the time. with 4 vehicles to pull, there should barely ever be any downtime for anyone.

So ... who would be up for that?

Network Hub
    I'm not much for tanks, but:

Matthew Higby ‏@mhigby1h
    We're working on retuning MBT armor for GU08, goal is to make them a bit more survivable vs. ESF and infantry based AV.

Network Hub
    Oh yes, I'm very interested. I've got a skyguard and a saron and I'd be happy to get a reason to spend more certs on vehicles. I'm not sure about the abundance of support sunderers on the field, but maybe incorporating one ammo sunderer could be useful, too. You can have the ammo upgrade and the AMS at the same time now, can't you?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Would be fun to try!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The hardest part is keeping the tanks alive because it is just so easy for infant to wittle you down, and as soon as a fight reaches critical mass tanks get more or less obsolete. Still I am up for it, love my Lightning. That armor push we did last night on Apex was really fun, but also shows the problem with armor pushes.

This game desperately needs someway for tanks to actually kill infantry based AV in a way that does not let them pop up 5 seconds later.

Activated Node
    I've been pouring certs into my magrider and liberator recently, so I'm keen to get more use out of them.

Our Sauron based tank columns do lack something when it comes to countering infantry and air, I wonder if some f the other magrider weapons would be worth a look in the current climate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The one thing holding me back from certing anything but a Sundy is that armour columns never get as much use as on foot base fighting.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been saying I will run "TankGir" for over a week. But either I'm only on for a bit, I'm away (and hence not playing PS2), I'm playing Monaco, or the couple of times I've been on for an evening, we've been on Amerish, and damned if I'm running a tank unit there.

As Wardancers says, you have to be careful with tanks as you will be whittled away. I think we need to pick and choose our fights, basically. Engage where we can do some good of the important work like taking out sunderers, but not hang around too much for infantry fighting.

The new comms stuff that Eso has done could be great for this sort of thing. Effective tank crews need to talk to each other constantly. In a 12 person channel this ends up being obnoxious. In say a 4-person channel, it should be fine - and "element" leaders can easily talk to each other through "coordinate".

Any tank element obviously needs to bring some AA with them. Skyguards can do part of this of course, but I also think we should load up our ammo sundie with a pair of Bursters, who man the guns on the move, and jump out whenever there is an air threat. If we have a bigger unit, then multiple sunderers and more bursters.

As for AI - as said, I think best not to get drawn in except as part of destroying a sunderer. Infantry will be back in ~10 seconds, so just killing them unless you get a spawn camp going is of little use. I've found the Kobalt is probably the best AI on the magrider and have recently bought if for mine (100 certs, sooo), however I'm not sure it really makes sense to get that. We also have the options of HE, HEAT and even Cobra lightnings, and a Sunderer with Furys/kobalts. The last might actually be the strongest option.

Edit: Is it Cobra? or Viper? Whatever the default gun is anyway
    Also, the Harrasser sounds like it could be VERY relevant in armour units as described on Reddit/forums.
    Last edited by CMaster; 26-04-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    If you have ideas on how to set up comms so that they work for us, let me know here:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...mms-discussion

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yes tanks are perfect units to help take out enemy sunderers which was used to great effect during a defense of Crux Headquarters a few nights ago. The TR were attacking in force and we were being pushed back into the tower. I conviced a few guys to pull armor from Mekala Tech to help break the siege. I think we got 4-5 mags and a lightning or two. These tanks where then used to circle around the base and take out sunderers. They were not used to move in and secure the base or try to fight the infantry. This is what tanks are useful for now. Taking out highvalue targets and getting the hell out.

As for fighting infantry I really wish the PPA would be somewhat effective.

Edit: Also if the tank column start to take losses we really really should be better at pulling back so reinforcements can be brought in instead of being killed one by one. Also if we are doing tank columns we really need infantry support. We should never attack a base without infantry taking the front.
    Last edited by Wardancer; 26-04-2013 at 11:25 AM.

I'd be up for joining in with an Armour/Air platoon. I'm pretty heavily certed in my Liberator and have a couple of unlocked weapons for the Magrider. A good way to make resources less of a problem is to fight on Indar, usually the territory is evenly split so you get a good flow of resources coming in.

For some awesome ArmA 2 armour fighting, watch this video:

Lesser Hivemind Node
    As long as we own a decent amount of territory and don't lose our tanks faster than every 10 minutes, we should be able to keep vehicles going for every single squad member indefinitely, i think. I've done that before, and it really works decently well.

However, most of the points that have been brought up are valid. Choosing our fights will probably be the most important factor in being useful and surviving longer than a few seconds.

As for dealing with infantry: It's a shitty situation at best, as the saron is pretty much mandatory to be able to deal with especially prowlers. The only way i see to increase AI killing power is by going back to the VPC (HE), but that's not in a very good place right now. That being said, i had a decent streak with it at the massive fight against TR we had two days ago.

Is the Supernova VPC good against infantry? If it's decent you could have the Saron on the main gun and then the VPC, giving you AI and AV capability.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    To add to the 'choosing your fights', I think the key to fighting well in a tank is also being extremely cautious, constantly using cover and... erm.. running away a lot.

A lot of people seem to initially become very bold in a tank, leading the charge, but to get the most out of your mag you really need to hide behind hills and go for flanking positions. This has been my experience anyway, last armour push I saw us make we lost over half of our mags within the first couple of minutes. Seems like we could have done better, may be worth explaining these ideas to the group before heading out (ie urging them to hold back initially, show caution) to avoid disasters in the first push.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
    Is the Supernova VPC good against infantry? If it's decent you could have the Saron on the main gun and then the VPC, giving you AI and AV capability.
    that's how we used to run most of the time. the vpc was nerfed though, and now its reload time is a bit long, and the AV damage sucks. it's still the best option for fighting both armour and infantry though (when combined with a saron).
    Last edited by qaz; 26-04-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Very much so. Last night on Esamir was the first evening after 2 weeks methinks that I pulled my magrider for a spin.

Perhaps do a TACGIR focused on vehicle play? One squad armour, one squad follows in support and AMS sundies, with AA MAX and snipers (to suppress those pesky AV turrets). When one squad's vehicles are destroyed or their cooldowns are reset (whichever comes first?), they switch roles. The armour squad could try moving in two teams: one overwatch, one advancing. Snipers, besides suppressing enemy AV fire, also act as spotters, warning the armour up to which point it is safe to advance.

Armour should never advance beyond a reconnoitered area, because it will be obliterated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    To add to the 'choosing your fights', I think the key to fighting well in a tank is also being extremely cautious, constantly using cover and... erm.. running away a lot.

A lot of people seem to initially become very bold in a tank, leading the charge, but to get the most out of your mag you really need to hide behind hills and go for flanking positions. This has been my experience anyway, last armour push I saw us make we lost over half of our mags within the first couple of minutes. Seems like we could have done better, may be worth explaining these ideas to the group before heading out (ie urging them to hold back initially, show caution) to avoid disasters in the first push.
    Very much this.

Is having a dedicated TANKGIR that useful though? As said there are a some situations where tanks become irrelevant, wouldn't it be more efficient if it was down to regular squads to decide to pull armour when they need it, or maybe make that decision at PL level?

Also, everything Rizlar said. When a single Striker can turn your Magrider into disco scrap metal in a matter of seconds, guerilla warfare is pretty much the way to go.
    Last edited by Skhalt; 27-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Skhalt View Post
    Is having a dedicated TANKGIR that useful though? As said there are a some situations where tanks become irrelevant, wouldn't it be more efficient if it was down to regular squads to decide to pull armour when they need it, or maybe make that decision at PL level?

Also, everything Rizlar said. When a single Striker can turn your Magrider into disco scrap metal in a matter of seconds, guerilla warfare is pretty much the way to go.
    This isn't primarily about being useful or supporting the platoon, at least not for me. Yes, it would be more efficient to leave this up to the PL, but the problem with that is that we haven't pulled tanks properly in months. I miss tanking. I just want to get back to it, and at least try to have fun.

I still go for VPC and saron. I know it sucks against vehicles for the main gunner, but I feel more like artillery than a tank anyway in a mag.

dont know when ill get the time to play ps2 though.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skhalt View Post

Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    This isn't primarily about being useful or supporting the platoon, at least not for me. Yes, it would be more efficient to leave this up to the PL, but the problem with that is that we haven't pulled tanks properly in months. I miss tanking. I just want to get back to it, and at least try to have fun.
    Same here. I really miss proper tanking. And the way the metagame is now, tanks without coordination between themselves and the infantry cannot survive.

As for the PL ordering tanks, unfortunately as an outfit we're mostly reacting to situations. So, that order comes usually too late, and the tanks get obliterated by a prepared Phoenix/Striker and AV Turret position. And since the metagame is becoming more and more about coordination (map changes on PST are going to have a huge impact), we have to come up with ways to use and have fun in tanks. Bottom line, swagriders are cool!