Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I've had a thought bumbling around in my head for a while about tank/air crews. I might have outlined it before, but the best infantry killing tank is still the lighting with HE or HEAT right?

If you were running a squad based on alternate Lib/Tank pulls then teams of three would be the simplest - gives you Lib a reargunner and the third man can drive a Lighting anti-infantry "outrider" for the Mag.

The Outrider's job is to kill threats to their MBT chum - not run away or get involved in other things - Lightings tend to be smaller, faster and less valuable targets for infantry AV. I would imagine them flanking and blasting away at AV positions while those AV guys are concentrating on the MBTS and don't see it coming. You still have to pick your fights and stay mobile and alert.

To a lesser extent the Mags can support each other - each one covering the flanks of another one - but I think a Lighting would be faster and a better use of people and points.

Sadly at the moment against Infantry who are remotely equipped to fight them mags are more raiders than ... well ... Tanks.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well .. let's trial this as format either this wednesday (with one squad, parallel to our usual event), or on friday in full format?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    Well .. let's trial this as format either this wednesday (with one squad, parallel to our usual event), or on friday in full format?
    Why wait? Monday or Tuesday for a test run, Wednesday or Thursday to see how it integrates with the rest of the larger ops?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'd be cautious about doing it on a thursday as it's not going to mesh too well with strategic goals of the platoon. not sure if i'm around monday. tuesday could work though

Obscure Node
    I love tanks, i'd definetly want to be part of this.
    Its unfortunate tanks have ended up so much on the backfoot lately, not quite able to be the frontline figure and more of a supportive bombard or anti-sunderer role.

Something which bothers me greatly and that i see way too often when we do pull tanks is the overuse of Sarons.
    The meta has changed, how many times as a tank have you acctually been blown up by an enemy tank lately?
    It'll either be a lock-on launcher, a rocketpodding ESF and sometimes a C4.

The default tank gun (Nice balance of AV and AI) and a Kobalt will go a long way on todays battlefield. The kobalt is really excellent and picking off infantry at almost all ranges. Imagine a Tank-squad with all Kobalts, the infantry wouldnt be able to stick their heads up from behind cover. All you'd have to fear would be dumbfire rockets, easily evaded.
    And if we meet heavy armored resistance, the kobalt gunner can jump out and repair or use a AV mana turret, shazam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    It might actually be time to re-evaluate the supremacy of the Saron. It is the most fun gun to man, certainly, but I agree it might not be the most effective in all situations. Has anyone tried the Walker or Ranger (AA guns) on a Magrider?

youre forgetting about the rawcat lawnchair. I cant remember the name though.

How good is the main AT gun at killing vehicles anyway?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Obscure Node
    The Ranger is woefully underpowered compared to the walker. Just check this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0u27rp9YTU

I use the walker on my secondary loadout when air is about, very good at deteering strafing runs.

The anti-tank gun on the mag feels only slightly stronger then the default against armor, while its pretty hard to hit infantry with. It oneshots ESFs though if you can hit.
    Last edited by Evochio; 29-04-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evochio View Post
    The Ranger is woefully underpowered compared to the walker. Just check this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0u27rp9YTU
    not in my experience. I have a walker and a ranger on my AA sundy, both are valuable, especially in tandem. The walker is better against ESFs while the ranger shreds through libs.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    I've had a thought bumbling around in my head for a while about tank/air crews. I might have outlined it before, but the best infantry killing tank is still the lighting with HE or HEAT right?
    I would go for HEAT. HE has only slightly more splash radius and damage while HEAT does more "core damage" (damage close to the center of impact) as well as decent AV damage. Currently I don't see HE to be worth it's downsides, even for AI.
    It could be an option if you are only engaging infantry, but sometimes you cannot pick your fights. And when vehicles see that you are using HE they will come for you because they know you do almost no damage to them.
    Also Lightnings have the problem that they die to ESFs very, very fast. So it would most like still need AA support.

A skyguard in the back might be a good option here. Although...

PlanetSide2 2013-04-26 21-24-48-48.jpgPlanetSide2 2013-04-26 21-27-24-12.jpg
    That didn't end well
    Last edited by bonkers; 29-04-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wouldn't stick either AA on a Magrider. Leave that to the backup sundie carrying Bursters, or to Skyguards (which are much better than either Walker or Ranger)

Equally, a HE/HEAT lightning is probably better AI than a Kobalt mag. But it might still be worth trying a mix of Sarons and Kobalts, as the Kobalt accuracy does make for good defense vs Heavies, and Magrider has survieability that the Lightning lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat
    not in my experience. I have a walker and a ranger on my AA sundy, both are valuable, especially in tandem. The walker is better against ESFs while the ranger shreds through libs.
    Watch that video. Ranger takes ~55 seconds to down a Lib. Walker ~15. Ranger being flak does have its uses, but the gap between them in damage is just so big...
    Last edited by CMaster; 29-04-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    What baffles me about ranger/walker is how the rangers flak is an air deterrent while with the burster/skyguard it's the other way round; burster flak is making the kills, not the bullet spreading skyguards.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

why is everyone still forgetting the rocket launcher for the mag?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    why is everyone still forgetting the rocket launcher for the mag?
    Halberd? It's near enough a Saron. Slightly higher velocity, but with drop. Not worth getting if you have a Saron, and vice versa.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    It might actually be time to re-evaluate the supremacy of the Saron. It is the most fun gun to man, certainly, but I agree it might not be the most effective in all situations. Has anyone tried the Walker or Ranger (AA guns) on a Magrider?
    BURN THE HERETIC, lol.

The problem with going in that direction is that you'd always be better off pulling two lightnings. One with the AP gun (higher dps than the mag primary), and one with a skyguard. If you really wanted to replace the Saron, a Kobalt might work well, as the primary threats are air and infantry. Problem is, a saron-less mag will have massive issues with killing another tank, even if it's 1/2 or an AP lightning.

Personally, i don't see any reason to retire my saron. Decent gunners will be able to use it against infantry sufficiently well, and it still increases AV potential massively. That being said ... the instagib rocketpod deaths are annoying as hell. Skyguards will be mandatory to avoid that.

On an unrelated note: i went on a rampage against NC with my HE lightning on esamir yesterday. Got 45 kills before being destroyed, and one of them was the traitor leader!
    Last edited by qaz; 29-04-2013 at 01:01 PM.

BURN THE HERETIC, lol.

The problem with going in that direction is that you'd always be better off pulling two lightnings. One with the AP gun (higher dps than the mag primary), and one with a skyguard. If you really wanted to replace the Saron, a Kobalt might work well, as the primary threats are air and infantry. Problem is, a saron-less mag will have massive issues with killing another tank, even if it's 1/2 or an AP lightning.

Personally, i don't see any reason to retire my saron. Decent gunners will be able to use it against infantry sufficiently well, and it still increases AV potential massively. That being said ... the instagib rocketpod deaths are annoying as hell. Skyguards will be mandatory to avoid that.

On an unrelated note: i went on a rampage against NC with my HE lightning on esamir yesterday. Got 45 kills before being destroyed, and i one of them was the traitor leader!
    mqx in top form ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I think the Ranger is straight up useless. The Walker is better at everything. The Ranger's projectile speed is just far too slow for it to be possible to hit air. Sure, you can sometimes hit that ESF strafing you and do some damage, but the Walker will dish out more at much longer ranges at much better accuracy.

Regarding the Saron, it is a good anti-infantry weapon if you use it well. It is also very satisfying and awesome to kill infantry with.
    Find me on the Steams

Obscure Node
    Problem is, a saron-less mag will have massive issues with killing another tank, even if it's 1/2 or an AP lightning.

Personally, i don't see any reason to retire my saron. Decent gunners will be able to use it against infantry sufficiently well, and it still increases AV potential massively.
    I just find it unreliable for AI, you might get one hit and kill now and then with it but you'll rarely get a streak if the tank and/or infantry are acctually moving about. But that might just be me sucking at it.
    As for being gimp against other tanks without it, its just not true if we're talking about making a tank squad. We'll have the numbers to easilly blast away opposition. You just dont see the larger tank engagements where it would shine anymore until SOE fixes things.

I wish you could have Furys on tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    I think the Ranger is straight up useless. The Walker is better at everything. The Ranger's projectile speed is just far too slow for it to be possible to hit air. Sure, you can sometimes hit that ESF strafing you and do some damage, but the Walker will dish out more at much longer ranges at much better accuracy.

Regarding the Saron, it is a good anti-infantry weapon if you use it well. It is also very satisfying and awesome to kill infantry with.
    Like I said, I dont regret buying it and my sundy is doing fine.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Evochio View Post
    I just find it unreliable for AI, you might get one hit and kill now and then with it but you'll rarely get a streak if the tank and/or infantry are acctually moving about. But that might just be me sucking at it.
    As for being gimp against other tanks without it, its just not true if we're talking about making a tank squad. We'll have the numbers to easilly blast away opposition. You just dont see the larger tank engagements where it would shine anymore until SOE fixes things.

I wish you could have Furys on tanks.
    Not sure about you, but i have pretty severe issues with landing hits on targets that are 300m+ away with the HEAT. At least landing them without too many shots trying to zero in, that is. the saron is a lot more reliable for these types of fights. It also oneshots AV mana turret users at any range reliably, which is pretty huge.