Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Terminator: Future Shock / Skynet. *It's one of the best FPS ever made. It totally captures the vibe of those future-war scenes from the first Terminator movies. It has a good story that isn't a re-tread of the movies, but fits in with them. It has huge open-city levels with very clever level design. It has cool weapons and enemies, and you can drive cars and fly HKs. It has a really weird way of doing water textures that creates weird graphical glitches. It is the only good Terminator game ever made. It's from back when Bethesda made FPS games. It has thousands of skulls everywhere.

*It's actually 2 games.

Network Hub
    Project Reality:

A multiplayer FPS where the individual is irrelevant, where the squad and the team matter, and communication and co-ordination with real people over huge maps is necessary for victory. The lone wolf is nothing in PR, valued skills are succinct and effective communication (with a mic), following and working within a squad, patience and situational awareness.

Project Reality is a mod for BF2.
    Last edited by Web Cole; 29-04-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Network Hub
    Sacred 2. Just playing it makes you wonder what the hell Blizzard were doing with Diablo 3 for all that time.

Banned
    Call of Cthulhu: Incredibly atmospheric, heavily narrative driven FPS horror let down by bugs but awesome game design, scripting and so on. The game is less about shooting (you have limited ammo and you get swarmed bad when you make pew-pew-pew) and more about sneaking/running away and using the environment/items to your advantage - in that aspect it somewhat resembles an adventure game, but with far more organic mechanics that intertwine well with the first person perspective. Aww man i don't know, just play it. Expect to have some of your saves wiped though...it's buggy in that sort of way.

F.E.A.R: it does not have repetitive and dreary environments; it is an incredibly well made FPS/horror hybrid. The A.I precedes its reputation and the game features some of the coolest enemies and weapons ever. I believe there's also a free multiplayer version of F.E.A.R called FEAR COMBAT which is really awesome quick fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Terminator: Future Shock / Skynet. *It's one of the best FPS ever made. It totally captures the vibe of those future-war scenes from the first Terminator movies. It has a good story that isn't a re-tread of the movies, but fits in with them. It has huge open-city levels with very clever level design. It has cool weapons and enemies, and you can drive cars and fly HKs. It has a really weird way of doing water textures that creates weird graphical glitches. It is the only good Terminator game ever made. It's from back when Bethesda made FPS games. It has thousands of skulls everywhere.

*It's actually 2 games.
    I really wish Bethesda would make another Terminator game! They were so good.

Activated Node
    It's hard to choose only one...

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. Was ugly even for yesterdecade standards, and bugged as hell, but it's the most entertaining computer RPG I ever played, the only D&D-based that I really enjoyed, and is set in one of the best and most underrated universes ever created.

Unreal World. It has been featured in a RPS article, and has a nice fan base, but this game need more praise. The 3.16 version just launched, and amongst other improvements it now includes varying quality of furs due to combat or predators, and an upgraded IA for dogs; now, they try to outrun and corner an escaping prey. Donate. This. Now.
    Last edited by makute; 29-04-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by makute View Post
    It's hard to choose only one...

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. Was ugly even for yesterdecade standards, and bugged as hell, but it's the most entertaining computer RPG I ever played, the only D&D-based that I really enjoyed, and is set in one of the best and most underrated universes ever created.

Unreal World. It has been featured in a RPS article, and has a nice fan base, but this game need more praise. The 3.16 version just launched, and amongst other improvements it now includes varying quality of furs due to combat or predators, and an upgraded IA for dogs; now, they try to outrun and corner an escaping prey. Donate. This. Now.
    I tried Unreal World, I could tell there was a lot of potential there and I really wanted to get into it - but bloody hell is the UI cumbersome! I'm an avid Dwarf Fortress player but this just took the biscuit, even with the tutorial.

Project Black Sun
    I don't think I've seen anyone talking about this one actually. It's a well-made and good looking little 2D Metroidvania-style platformer with a wonderful sense of exploration. It's not without it's flaws though: the bossfights are too hard and the story is minimal, but it's nonetheless a game that deserves to be played and loved by more people than it currently is.

http://www.desura.com/games/project-black-sun (and it's only 1,49!)

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    F.E.A.R
    No. A game that spawned a handful of expansionpacks and sequels is certainly not "underplayed". Call of Cthulhu is perhaps a borderline-case, as it's still quite well known.

Obscure Node
    Asherons Call still exists and has a small but loyal community. PVP, PVE - Dynamic skills/character builds, one of the best loot gen systems out there, not to mention 10+ years of content to enjoy. I'm not selling it well, but ya know, when some creepy old wizard calls, I can't help but answer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Asherons Call still exists and has a small but loyal community. PVP, PVE - Dynamic skills/character builds, one of the best loot gen systems out there, not to mention 10+ years of content to enjoy. I'm not selling it well, but ya know, when some creepy old wizard calls, I can't help but answer.
    Hear hear, we must all heed the creepy old wizard! (That game is a good remedy for anyone who's bored of the whole "tank-dps-healer MMORPG trinity" system, and also stands out as the one MMORPG I've played where the Jump key is both thrilling and consistently useful).
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder. Probably the best lovecraftian horror game you can find on PC, and a good adventure game on top of that. Slowly building atmosphere, no jump scares really and only one "go hide fast"-moment.
    No jump scares? I'm in then.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

It has thousands of skulls everywhere.
    An old school shooter with a skull fetish sounds like just the thing to clear up the monday blues.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by friskydingo View Post
    I tried a game or two of Solium Infernum single player and gave up on it quick as it was awful dull vs just the AI.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...olium-Infernum
    You are welcomed into the fold.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Out of the Park baseball: Deepest sports management sim around. The amount of options it has it just incredible. Play with real players from any era of history and tweak it almost any way your heart desires. You can even very easily approach it as a sort of very complex RPG if you choose to look at it that way. It's made by a very small developer which I think is basically one guy. It has a great modding community and many online leagues you can join if you want to play against other humans. I find it vastly superior to the way more popular Football Manager series.
    Last edited by iridescence; 30-04-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar

*It's actually 2 games.
    This was awesome. Plus, it's the first game I ever played where the multiplayer had vehicles (both land and air), which was mind blowingly awesome at the time. Maybe there were MP games with vehicles before this, but if there were I never played them.

Network Hub

*It's actually 2 games.
    It also has procedurally-generated buildings that you can enter dotted all over the open-world levels that you have to navigate using your compass and map. Aside from a couple of exceptions where the buildings offer alternative routes in to your objectives (sewers, death camps, bases, etc) you never quite know whats lying behind those doors. Power armour, bullets, petrol bombs, floating mines, a T-500 with a chain gun... it seems amazing that this kind of thing was done way back when and today, we can barely dream of such innovation. Anyway, TFS was hands down the game that got me into PC gaming when I was about 9/10. I didn't have anything to play it on for another couple of years at least but seeing this on my older friend's rig captivated me. The driving levels were probably the most striking features; we used to play with one of us driving and the other firing the gun turret. Half the fun was the ability to get lost and find yourself chased by flying Hunter-Killers and surrounded by spider tanks. One of my most treasured gaming memories and honestly, I think this game would stand up today past its SVGA graphics.

P.S All who have played this game know the awesomeness of the SUPERUZI
    P.P.S Why on earth haven't Bethesda recreated this game in something similar to Far Cry 3. Being chased by terminators through crumbling ruins as you desperately try to find your parked jeep...
    Last edited by Theblazeuk; 30-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Thanks. I'll keep on eye on new games.

Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Why on earth haven't Bethesda recreated this game in something similar to Far Cry 3. Being chased by terminators through crumbling ruins as you desperately try to find your parked jeep...
    Oh God yes that would be great. Wish whoever made that Terminator Salvation game had taken inspiration from Future Shock/Skynet instead of just churning out an uninspired third person shooter. (though to be fair, a tight deadline probably factored into that game turning out as pedestrian as it did as well)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagonalbolts View Post
    I tried Unreal World, I could tell there was a lot of potential there and I really wanted to get into it - but bloody hell is the UI cumbersome! I'm an avid Dwarf Fortress player but this just took the biscuit, even with the tutorial.
    Dude, if you play DF you definitely can play UrW, the controls are not that hard to understand.

To stay on-topic, I'll say that Aquaria could use some love. It's, probably, the prettiest game (in every aspect: music, graphics, story...) I ever played.
    Last edited by makute; 30-04-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    Oh God yes that would be great. Wish whoever made that Terminator Salvation game had taken inspiration from Future Shock/Skynet instead of just churning out an uninspired third person shooter. (though to be fair, a tight deadline probably factored into that game turning out as pedestrian as it did as well)
    Well... Did you see Salvation? Anyone who played that game should count themselves lucky they didn't catch herpes.