Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder. Probably the best lovecraftian horror game you can find on PC, and a good adventure game on top of that. Slowly building atmosphere, no jump scares really and only one "go hide fast"-moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomxJ View Post
    Richard and Alice, is brilliant AGS game about 2 people in a post apocalyptic (not with a bang but a whimper scenario) prison sharing stories. The majority of the game is played as a mother (Alice) trying to defend her child in a hostile world (think the road), and it really hits the emotional nail on the head.
    Both very good and sadly "underpalyed" games.I would add Lone survivor to list and maybe Spec ops: the line(game didn't sell well which is pity considering it's game with one of best,mature stories that in recent years imo).Form little older games I think Psychonauts and Beyond good and evil didn't get love they deserve,and ofc Planescape torment which had poor sale once it came out but since it got lot more recognition in last years(and good sale on GoG)so it might not fit this list.

Activated Node
    Sacrifice: Wizards, Freaky Creatures, Talking Gods and Tim Curry

Giant, Citizen Kabuto: British Fish-men, Freaky Creatures, Naked Ladies and Godzilla

Anachronox - A humorous sci-fi RPG from the 2000 era. One of your party members is a planet. A PLANET!

Virtua Tennis 4 is the most enjoyable sports game I have ever played. Sega got their greatest designers together, asked anyone who had played, watched, or heard of tennis to raise their hands, and then told those people to leave the building. The remnants of the crew were given free reign to try and figure out what Tennis might be and how it might be organised, and they came up with a sprawling campaign mode where you roll dice to travel across the world, playing your star cards, your physios, your agents, to acquire star points. They created a game where you spent a sizeable proportion of your time training by collecting chickens and protecting them from snakes and basketballs, or trying to shoot a royal flush in tennis poker. They created a game where, throughout, you are send obsessive stalking messages from some guy/gal callled Chris, which veer from the unsettling to the downright creepy and then keep on going. And at the end, if you get enough star points, if you win enough fancy dress tennis matches, you go to the ultimate tennis challenge: THE KING OF TENNIS. Which is a 1920s guy in a flat cap and moustache, obviously. And he serves like a demon. I have never grinned as much in a sports game as I did with this and everyone should buy it.

Typical input from Chris:
    Last edited by Jiiiiim; 07-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Spectromancer

It's sort of a halfway point between Warhammer: Mark of Chaos and Magic: The Gathering (and apparently co-designed by the one of the creators of MtG). Simple to learn, quick to play, pretty hard to master, and designed such that it is entirely possible to turn crushing defeat into soaring, last-second victory. No microtransactions, but the base game and each expansion are a little pricey. There was--and hopefully still is--a small but active community for online play, though there's no real matchmaking. Hotseat is great and the AI is pretty decent. There's also a full campaign which I've never really touched. I think you can get the whole shebang if you buy Gathering of Power. Available on a variety of services, and the keys don't seem limited to the service you buy them from (i.e. you can buy the game on Steam, but activate it via the demo downloaded from the official site, thus allowing you to get it in a Steam sale and still have a DRM-free product). Great for people who like card games but hate the business models and/or have difficulty getting people together to play.

Activated Node
    King of Dragon Pass

Based on the RuneQuest pen and paper role playing system it is a unique and fascinating game with really great artwork (hand drawn) and a fantastic musical score.

You take control of a tribe and you have to guide them through many trials to try to become the King of Dragon Pass. Gameplay elements are varied and it is a hard game to master with a decent amount of re-playability if you are willing to try different strategies and in-game options. If i was to sum it up in one word it would be as a 'Tribe Simulator'.

It was virtually impossible to get hold off until recently when A-sharp (the devs) made a modern i-phone remake and then GoG released a version that works on modern PC's. One of my favourite underplayed games of all time and well worth a look.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I bought KoDP on GoG a while ago, but I couldn't get into because of the lack of a proper manual (or just me failing to search for one). Can you point me to a good starting guide?

7 grand steps

IGF finalist, it's a dinasty-making game, where you tell a story of a family from prehistory to (don't know the limit year) through its members. You romance, you make kids, you ascend in the social scale, create your own family's legends, fight for love...

The complicated part comes from how the game is played. The game represents a arcade machine from the early 1900s with several slots for tokens. Some slots advance you in the life wheel, trying to escape the crocodiles. While you're moving through the wheel, you have to collect beads to create a generation's legendary feat, be it social, economical or of skill mastery. Or maybe just finding a suitable wife. Other slots allow lovemaking, to get new tokens and maybe be blessed with a child. Once you have offspring, you can feed them tokens to increase their skills for the next generation.

I cannot describe how genius the game design is for this one, you have to try the demo yourself.

http://p10.hostingprod.com/@mousechi...ousechief.html
    Last edited by pakoito; 12-05-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    I bought KoDP on GoG a while ago, but I couldn't get into because of the lack of a proper manual (or just me failing to search for one). Can you point me to a good starting guide?
    there is a manual, you can find a pdf link and some tips here: http://www.a-sharp.com/kodp/tips.html
    you can also take a look at this faq: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/915594-ki...ass/faqs/36997
    there's a faq on asharp's site too, but the one from gamefaqs is more indepth.

don't give up on it, if you like the idea from 7 grand steps, you'll like kodp too.
    Last edited by lhzr; 12-05-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Experiment 112 - Put simply, its the smartest designed game you've never played. The game is built around the concept of the player as a CCTV camera/security operative who has to lead a trapped woman through the usual "lab partnered with hell". The trick being that you can only communicate using electronics and a deliberately unwieldy window 95 style interface. Turning lights on and off to tell her where to go, nodding your camera when she's asks you a question, watching old security footage for computer passwords to access new areas. It goes on and on, building and building on these mechanics and using them to tell a surprisingly well told (though still hella dumb) story. For example you may see a monster she doesn't and you have to work out how to warn her before she reaches it, and she's walking slowly, vanishing from sight behind pillars, pausing for a second to read a sign cheerfully, whilst you're rummaging like mad trying to find the option that lets you slam the door shut on the monster, and she's still blissfully unaware chattering away apart how much she enjoys having functional organs. As a sign of quality for those who know their experimental games, its made by the team that made In Memoriam. Speaking of which.

In Memoriam - Know the investigation quests from the (pointlessly) MMO adventure game Secret World? Well this is a whole game of them and it doesn't have hundreds of wankers standing around yelling out the answers and destroying your immersion or irritating and unnecessary combat. This game is the glorious bastard child of the coupling betwixt Myst and a six hour wikipedia adventure.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 13-05-2013 at 02:42 AM.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Space Rangers 2 is awesome.

Activated Node
    lhzr gave some good ones. For years (and this is speaking as an ex-runequest pen and paper player) i tried to be good at this game and failed, and i suppose it was the understanding of just how central the Hero Questing is in the computer game that gave me the break through, so eventually i was able to become King of Dragon Pass (on two occasions!).

So the biggest tip i can give is you really should learn all the tribal stories, and make sure you read the full version as the game offers an abridged version also, you need to expand those. Take the time to read all of them and if you are planning a particular Hero Quest, focus on the one you will be undertaking. Randomness will still play it's part, but you are much more likely to succeed a Hero Quest if you know the story you are meant to be re-enacting.

Ok another game recommendation:

Waking Mars (PC)

A Martian/Science themed Indie game that is just quite magical to play and discover. Non violent (pretty much), and all about the discovery of a Martian eco-system and how that determines your impact on the planet. Part exploration game, part puzzle game (in a good way) and just a really nice story-telling thrown into the mix. GoG has this also.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Regarding King of Dragon Pass -- I think the best and most entertaining way to learn how to be good at this game is to read this Let's Play of it. The further you read of course, the more huge spoilers there will be, so I'd stop once you feel like you have more of a handle on things. LP's always help me get a grasp on weird/complex strategy-type games, even when the person playing isn't necessarily making optimal choices (I don't know how optimal this LP is, but he seems to do alright). Based on the principle that the best guide is the one you actually finish reading, I'd say this was the best guide. =P

Not that I ever actually got close to beating KoDP, but the LP at least helped me understand *why* I was failing. ;)
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZakG View Post
    King of Dragon Pass
    As a lover of all things Runequest and Glorantha (to this day it remains my most favorite RPG system and milieu), I heartily recommend this underplayed game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Hardw[a]r
    Wikipedia article
    Community forum
    Hardwar Enhcanced (patch / update for the game)

Freelancer if it was set on Mars. Relatively freeform trading & shooting space game set in craters on mars rather than in space. Well crafted world and just enough expansiveness to be engaging without being over-the-top absurd galaxy sized space with no end in sight. Decent flight mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Fly'N is a puzzle platformer - emphasis on platformer, since it demands a fair degree of skill - that seamlessly integrates double jumping and gliding, dual realities, multiple playable characters with different abilities, and reverse gravity mechanics, brought together as though nobody told them that indie puzzle platformers usually rely on only one central mechanic. It's also chock full of collectibles, secrets, bonus levels and boss fights, and it's all wrapped in a wonderfully imaginative botanical aesthetic where everything is just bursting with joie de vivre. It's a game where the main character is crucial for progress solely because of its ability to sing. How often do you see a game like that?

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Cool beans.

Bought it.

Activated Node
    The Trouble with Robots.
    using cards, you summon automated troops on a battlefield, and cast spells.
    part of the fun is in the deck building, part is in the frantic battles.
    it's a genuinely funny game, with a feel good vibe.
    a side-scrolling action / strategy customisable card game. Set in a fantasy world invaded by robots, you build decks, cast spells, summon powerful creatures (or hordes of angry peasants), and defeat legions of robots
    Last edited by cptgone; 16-05-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    7 grand steps
    I've seen articles about this game before, but not until your description did I realize it's a steampunk game!

It's not really steampunk, is it? I don't think it fits in any genre.

Is it on Steam or GOG? I gotta remember to put it on my wishlist so I don't forget it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by friskydingo View Post
    Cool beans.

Bought it.
    Swell, let me know what you think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    It's not really steampunk, is it? I don't think it fits in any genre.

Is it on Steam or GOG? I gotta remember to put it on my wishlist so I don't forget it exists.
    Queued for Steam release "soon". You can buy the beta now from HIB and get the steam key later.