Lesser Hivemind Node

Can we get a new 'Top Stories' category and feed?

I think it's great that RPS is getting more popular and can put out more and more content per day. But I'm getting less and less free time per day and it's getting hard to keep up with all the RPS posts and news.

I know quite a few other sites have a 'Top Stories' category that allows writers to highlight the more important stories and busy users to focus on those. It would be great if RPS could do the same.

I guess the issue would be that readers would disagree on what counted as a top story. But I'd be willing to take the writer's views on that.
    Imho, Top Stories would include:
    All WITs
    All RPS features
    All in-depth interviews
    All in-depth reporting/journalism/investigation. (if RPS ever decides to do any)
    All Sunday Papers
    All Bargain Buckets

A little release/demo/trailer news for big/amazing looking/heavily anticipated titles.
    A little news reposted from other sites (when it's a big/important issue or very hot topic)
    A few of the best free games

I don't want to miss out on an amazing looking indie game or the announcement of something major like xcom/theif. But I don't need to have 100 trailers for diablo or every news post about a game that looks 'kind of interesting'.

Pretty please!

I am Mr Alec Meer, lord of hair Bonzrat's Avatar
    We've always had this, which covers almost everything you mention. (It's in the 'Read our finest words' box over in the sidebar on the right.)
    Peace through tyranny

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzrat View Post
    We've always had this, which covers almost everything you mention. (It's in the 'Read our finest words' box over in the sidebar on the right.)
    Hey Alec!

Yeah, that's not bad. I've tried it before and you're right that it does almost all that i wanted - but then some big game was announced (Don't remember which. Thi4f maybe?) and I totally missed it because that feed doesn't get any news. (unless RPS decides to write a feature on it). So I went back to using the full feed. It also didn't include any free games (unless they got a WIT).

I know it's a tricky thing to decide what's "top news/articles" or not. But I guess we'd probably all agree that an announcement of a new System Shock game would count, but maybe impressions of a painfully average game that no one cares about wouldn't. But impressions of an unknown but awesome indie game would. Grr tricky.

But just having some kind of "top stories" tag that could be applied by writers as they saw fit would probably work.